Author Topic: 1st Range trip - New CZC P-01  (Read 192 times)

Offline Hutehund

1st Range trip - New CZC P-01
« on: March 19, 2017, 04:47:03 PM »
Every once in a while reality exceeds expectation.  That's not a common occurrence for me, because I tend to visualize ideal circumstances and storybook performance.  I imagine the perfect grip, sight picture, trigger press, follow through, and result.  I'm still a relatively new hand-gunner, but I find that more often than not, if I focus on the mechanics of the shot, I can usually have a "satisfactory" session at the range.  The more that I go to the range, the more satisfactory my experiences become.

Not too long ago, I decided I wanted to shoot a DA/SA pistol.  I didn't think a revolver would ever be a viable carry weapon for me, but I felt like I was somehow cheating the skill set of hand-gunning by only ever shooting SAO or striker-fired weapons.  I'm introducing this mini review of my new P-01 from CZC in this manner, because it should be known that for all intents and purposes I am a novice with DA/SA handguns.  Yes, I have a P-09 (my gateway entry into this addiction), but I only had 500 rounds through it when I decided to buy the P-01.  I probably had less than 200 rounds through it when I knew I wanted a compact to carry.

Enter CZC's P-01 SDP.  It arrived over a week ago, and work commitments left me nothing but the satisfaction of dry-firing sessions until this morning.  I'm certain that in the end it was good to have all that dry practice, as there was no unfamiliarity with the manual of arms or trigger press when I finally put rounds through it today.  The ergonomics of this pistol are incredible.  I've never had a gun feel so right in my hand.

I started at 5 yards, loading 5 rounds per magazine, and firing the first round DA, and the subsequent rounds SA.  I wasn't shooting one big hole - I'm not that good, but a semi-rapid two to three inch group for me is exceptional, and right from jump street we were there.  Next I loaded both magazines to capacity, chambered a round and topped off the magazines to be sure that both mags and the gun worked flawlessly under full spring tension on the magazines.  After those two magazines, that 3" group in the paper was more hole than paper, and the pistol started feeling like a friend.

After changing targets and moving to 8 yds, I began loading each of the magazines with 10 rounds, and from low ready I would fire DA then SA, and then decock to low ready, and repeat.  I got into a slow double tap rhythm, and I was amazed how naturally and quickly the Heine Straight 8 sights settled right where they were meant to be.  It felt like the sights were in rtythm with the recoil.  I don't know quite how to describe it, because I've never felt anything like it before.  Before I knew it I had gone through 150 hiccup-free rounds, with a ragged 4" hole in the target and just a couple of flyers within an inch or so of the mostly missing center.

I didn't realize it until afterwards when I was driving home, but conscious thought of the "mechanics of the shot" were completely forgotten during that double tap drill, and the P-01 was more of a partner than a tool.  That's a pretty incredible realization.  My sincere thanks to CZ Custom.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 05:22:17 PM by Hutehund »
Take responsibility for your actions.

Online William_Broadus

Re: 1st Range trip - New CZC P-01
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2017, 05:08:02 PM »
and thus the wonderful partnership began...

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Offline Beak Boater

Re: 1st Range trip - New CZC P-01
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2017, 07:11:16 PM »
Every time I take my SP01 Shadow Target to the range I think about the previous trip and how well it performed. Then I think, was that just one of those days??? Will I be able to repeat the way it shot the last time, and every time it performs the same. The more you shoot it, the better you will like it.....if that's possible. CZ Custom does some awesome work. Congrats.
Only 2 defining forces have ever offered to die for you....Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.