Author Topic: New CZ 75 SP-01 Tactical. Anyway to decrease DA pull without decreasing SA pull?  (Read 4357 times)

Offline Garman

Just took my new baby to the range. The accuracy out of the box is amazing!! I am impressed with everything about it! I am happy with the pull weight of the trigger while it is in SA, but the DA action is pretty heavy. Is there anyway I can reduce the DA pull without making the SA pull lighter? I have a bunch of items in my cart at Cajun Gun Works but thought I would ask the question here first. Things in my cart and I want to change are:

Trigger to the 85 C trigger
Reduced power trigger spring
Floating trigger pin
13 lb recoil spring
13 lb hammer spring
Extended firing pin w/spring
Reduced power plunger spring
Firing pin retaining pin

Anyway, will this get me a light DA pull and pretty much leave the SA pull stock?

Thanks! :)

« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 06:01:20 PM by Garman »

Offline rhart

It has been my experience that the 13 pound hammer spring will reduce DA a lot and will not affect SA very much, but it will lighten up SA a very little - you may not even notice it.
Musashi:
- In all forms of strategy, it is necessary to maintain the combat stance in everyday life and to make your everyday stance your combat stance. (situational awareness).
- You can only fight the way you practice.
- If you do not control the enemy, the enemy will control you.

Offline Tok36

I would get the parts installed, at that point if the SA is too light you can swap the factory TRS back in and or increase the hammer spring weight to start with. As rhart said, the SA may not go so low that it bothers you.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 03:21:54 AM by Tok36 »
Will work for CZ pics! (including but not limited to all CZ clones)

Offline DanCZ75

I  just picked up my SP-01 Tactical from my gunsmith.  He installed the CGW defensive carry package, RRK-2 and did internal polishing.  I was too a bit concerned that the SA pull would be too light but I really like it.  DA change was dramatic, probably 6-7 lbs (I don't have a trigger gauge) and very smooth.  SA is light, I would think around 3 lbs but it feels great.  Hopefully there won't be any light strikes - the DA pull feels that light.

Offline Garman

I am still trying to decide if I want to start replacing parts or just polish the internals and shoot it more. I only have around 110 rounds thru it so far. I did actually have 2 double taps while I was putting the last mags thru it. That's why I really don't want to mess with the SA pull. I know that I am still learning the gun and double taps can happen but I don't want them to become the norm for when I shoot this gun.

Thanks for the replies! ;)

Offline SpeedYellow

You're getting double taps on a stock SP-01? That sounds exceedingly strange to me, and I'd be very concerned about my technique or the pistol.

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
Double taps?

If it's firing twice with ONE trigger pull,  that's "hammer follow".  This is usually associated with well worn sear and/or hammer hooks along with having a very light tuned action.  Since yours is new and hasn't been worked on,  this is unlikely.   At around 20K rds,  my 75 Shadow got hammer follow.  It was sprung exceptionally light and well polished, etc. etc. 

Just a guess:   It may be that you ride the trigger forward after shooting, and with the lighter pull weight you are applying enough pressure to release the hammer again.  Pull the trigger all the way back and then release the finger pressure. Any double taps?  If not,  after a few practice rounds you'll become more familiar with the lighter pull weight.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 11:22:39 PM by 1SOW »

Offline Garman

That is a good explanation 1SOW and I believe that is what happened. It only happened near the end of my session after shooting around 400 rounds thru a few of my guns. I am sure some finger fatigue came into play. I was more focused with getting rounds thru it than my technique. When I was focusing on the target for accuracy, I had no issues. But, I still do not want the SA action any lighter than it is currently. I have several striker fire guns and this is my first hammer fired pistol so I know that it will take some time for me to get used to it. I am thinking that I will just keep shooting the snot out of it for now and not replace anything. I feel like I should definitely need to get use to the gun better before I change it.  :)

Thanks for your input!   ;)

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
My well worn action on a Shadow actually gave me a tripple tap one time.  After replacing the sear and hammer it's back to safe operation.

Being used to striker fired trigger pulls,  your SPO1 is a significant change.  Like you say,  keep shooting/practicing your trigger work.
Like you,  at first I was wary of the light trigger pull.  After a lot of practice I really prefer the 1911-like SA trigger feel.  A 3# or a little less SA trigger pull improves my speed and accuracy.  This is accompanied by a 5# +/- DA pull with a safetied pistol. 

Offline SpeedYellow

But guys, he's saying he's getting double taps on a stock SP-01. What's that, a 5-6 lb SA trigger pull? Maybe it was just fatigue, but I'd definitely suggest working on technique (or fixing the gun) before reducing pull weight or length/reset. That just shouldn't be happening.

Offline Garman

But guys, he's saying he's getting double taps on a stock SP-01. What's that, a 5-6 lb SA trigger pull? Maybe it was just fatigue, but I'd definitely suggest working on technique (or fixing the gun) before reducing pull weight or length/reset. That just shouldn't be happening.

LOL...let it go Yellow! It's OK.  ;)

You did notice the part where I said it happened after shooting around 400 rounds right?? And that it didn't happen to me any other time, right?? And it was the first time I was out with my CZ, right?? And that I have always shot striker fired pistols in the past, right??  ???
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 12:22:21 PM by Garman »

Offline SpeedYellow

Ah, gotcha. Easy enough to call it a fluke.

Offline dbarn

I bet you will find this becomes your favorite pistol after you get it like you want it.  8)

The one thing on your list that I'm on the fence about is the reduced power TRS.

Trigger reset is slowed slightly in order to gain a more reduced double action pull. Has anyone found this to affect splits? Do the advantages outweigh any disadvantage?

Also there have been some complaints about OEM breakage. Thoughts?

Offline incogneato

That is a good explanation 1SOW and I believe that is what happened. It only happened near the end of my session after shooting around 400 rounds thru a few of my guns. I am sure some finger fatigue came into play. I was more focused with getting rounds thru it than my technique. When I was focusing on the target for accuracy, I had no issues. But, I still do not want the SA action any lighter than it is currently. I have several striker fire guns and this is my first hammer fired pistol so I know that it will take some time for me to get used to it. I am thinking that I will just keep shooting the snot out of it for now and not replace anything. I feel like I should definitely need to get use to the gun better before I change it.  :)

Thanks for your input!   ;)

I'm late to the CZ game (still awaiting arrival of my first), so I'm learning the "which parts" answer along with you. But I'll share my experience of adjusting from (years of) striker-fired to DA/SA, in case it may be of value.

Like many, I had "ride to reset" drilled in my head during the "Transition Course" taught when agencies switched from wheelguns to Glock. I also have spent years of my dry fire regime consisting of rack slide>dry fire>hold trigger to rear>repeat. I believe this has been the primary reason of occasional unintentional discharges during recoil (thankfully always downrange; just before regaining sight picture) not only on DA/SA guns, but sometimes even on new striker-fired guns before teh trigger has smoothed-out.

So, this is what I have done to help me (always willing to hear other suggestions):

1. Dry fire DA/SA guns with repeated trigger pulls in DA-only. Besides this being exercise for the finger, it helps to retrain to fully releasing the trigger after each shot.

2. Spring changes to accomplish what you are seeking. In my pre-CZ world, hammer springs are switched for "D" in Beretta, and "DAK" in Sig. This helps tremendously with fatigue when doing a lot of DA shots.

3. As I still live in a primarily striker-fired world, my preferred tool for dry-firing that type is the Sig P320. That's not a "fanboy" comment (although life would be easier and cheaper if I didn't like "variety" so much), the reason is this... In some striker guns, the trigger is "dead" after releasing the striker (does not return after dry fire without racking the slide), while others return. The P320 not only returns, it has a "click" with repeated trigger pulls, albeit without striker tension. This forces me go through the motion of fully releasing the trigger for repeated "shots" when dry-firing.

4. "Gripmaster"-type exercisers can help with isolated trigger-finger strength, while "reminding" you to release after each pull.

5. I actually do "dry fire practice" with a rubber-coated 5 lb dumbell; gripping one end so it extends horizontally. That probably sounds ludicrous to most folks, but I figure if my brain has been conditioned to expect polymer duty guns for a couple of decades, it can't hurt to train it to not interpret a steel-framed full size pistol as "heavy".

I hope you find some value in that ramble. Congratulations on your new gun!

Offline rhart

Just took my new baby to the range. The accuracy out of the box is amazing!! I am impressed with everything about it! I am happy with the pull weight of the trigger while it is in SA, but the DA action is pretty heavy. Is there anyway I can reduce the DA pull without making the SA pull lighter? I have a bunch of items in my cart at Cajun Gun Works but thought I would ask the question here first. Things in my cart and I want to change are:

Trigger to the 85 C trigger
Reduced power trigger spring
Floating trigger pin
13 lb recoil spring
13 lb hammer spring
Extended firing pin w/spring
Reduced power plunger spring
Firing pin retaining pin

Anyway, will this get me a light DA pull and pretty much leave the SA pull stock?

Thanks! :)

A poster in another thread who has an electronic gauge said the 13# hammer spring lightened his SA trigger by about one ounce. He started with about a 3 lb SA pull. So that's a little less than a 1/2% reduction I believe (can't find my calculator).
Musashi:
- In all forms of strategy, it is necessary to maintain the combat stance in everyday life and to make your everyday stance your combat stance. (situational awareness).
- You can only fight the way you practice.
- If you do not control the enemy, the enemy will control you.