Author Topic: The range trip from video Hell...actually heaven, since everything worked!  (Read 480 times)

Offline Joe L

So, I got a new toy, a MantisX pistol training device.  It uses an iPhone for a user interface.  I played with it in dry fire and posted some videos in the General Firearms section.  Then Sunday, I went to the range for the live fire testing of the device.  An electronic device using an iPhone as a datalogger. 

So, target cam, shooter cam, iPhone cam, monitors, sound recorder, backup wireless mics for the backup audio, plus the device and iPhone.  By myself, with a back so sore I can't hardly walk.  Plus a red dot on a P-09 since it has a proper rail segment.   Plus cables, spare batteries and SD cards. 

At first, the device wouldn't work.  I forgot to charge it after dry fire on Saturday.  Then I had to change the settings for live fire. 

Foggy at first, then sunny, then cloudy, had to have the iPhone out in the open where I could get to it, to the left so it wouldn't get pelted with brass from the P-09. 

40 rounds later, I had everything working OK.  The P-09 and the device itself never were any problem, starting and stopping all the electronics was tough, and it showed up in the trigger control, thus demonstrating the device better than a couple of 98+ score targets!!  Right?  I hope so.  Here it is...

P-09 still hits where it is pointed, every time. 

This is fun.  This isn't easy.

Joe
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 07:51:51 AM by Joe L »
CZ-75B 9mm and Kadet, 97B"E", two P-09's, P-07, P-10C

Offline Tok36

Re: The range trip from video Hell
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2017, 02:58:26 PM »
I think you may need a CZ Sherpa Joe. Dose the weight of the laser effect your shooting at all? Nice editing with all 3 videos in there.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 03:33:29 PM by Tok36 »
Will work for CZ pics! (including but not limited to all CZ clones)

Offline DenStinett

• HALT, Who goes there?
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2017, 06:03:04 PM »
Interesting Tool
So tell me again how Trump will be worse then the last 8 years !

Offline Joe L

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2017, 06:19:33 PM »
Dose the weight of the laser effect your shooting at all?

No, I think the MantisX weighs maybe 1 ounce.  That's because the battery is so small.   :) :)  Seriously, it is a fine, tiny device.  Over on the Bullseye-L forum, the most often asked question was how to mount it on a non-railed 1911. I think the device will pay for itself pretty quickly.  They are coming out with some bullseye specific app modifications that I am interested in. 

Fully charged battery will last 8 hours, according to Mantis.  They are going to add a "shot delete" option to the app, to eliminate having to stop sequences to load a magazine, eliminate a bump that the device thought was a hammer fall, etc.

More later, after I test it on a less experienced shooter, in both dry and live fire.   

Joe
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 06:57:04 PM by Joe L »

Offline coolbox

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2017, 05:56:24 AM »
That is an interesting device. Thank you for Sharing.

Is it zeroed in at target first, like aligned etc? How does it make up POI in the software?
Life is too short to waste on a bad trigger pull

Offline Joe L

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2017, 06:12:45 AM »
Coolbox, no, there is no reference to an aim point.  It only shows motion of the gun for .75 seconds before the hammer drops and .25 after, I think.  The yellow trace is the .25 seconds before the hammer hits.  So the device sees wobble plus trigger pull movement.
Joe

Offline coolbox

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2017, 03:49:08 PM »
Joe L
Thank you Sir
 Will have to consider getting this.
Life is too short to waste on a bad trigger pull

Offline Joe L

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2017, 07:45:42 AM »
I just got an iPhone app update last night, but I haven't tried it yet.  It has the shot delete for the traces when the slide closes and has a much longer trace time for the bullseye shooters.  I will test it this week.

I'm getting an anti-glare screen protector and a box to put the iPhone in for the next video.  Will probably get a little cleaner iPhone screen shot video next time out.

Joe
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 07:53:26 AM by Joe L »

Offline painter

My traces wouldn't fit on an iphone screen. :-\
I had the right to remain silent...

but not the ability.

Offline Joe L

My traces wouldn't fit on an iphone screen. :-\

Painter, don't think outside the iPhone box, in this instance.   :) :)

Offline K3JB

interesting Joe, I will check it out at the App Store. Are you thinking of putting the red dot on a new P10c?
It took me a little while getting use to the Burris Fast Fire 3 on my G17 ( the G17 was not being used and I thought I would experiment with the Burris), but now it just works great.
Would like to set the Burris up on a CZ.
"Blessed is the man, who having nothing to say, abstains from giving wordy evidence of the fact." - George Eliot

Offline Joe L

K3JB--Not sure what I am going to do with the P-10C.  I will probably borrow a Burris from my 75B slide and put it on the P-10C and try to shoot a bullseye match with it, just like I did with the P-07.  I'm expecting it to be similar to the P-07, just with a different trigger feel.  Not sure how much Sugru or JB-Weld it will take for me to get my trigger finger position correct with it.  I am really looking forward to the new pistol.  I'm sure I will be learning the trigger using the MantisX device, just like I have been practicing with the P-09. 

Joe

anything