Author Topic: Switching Slide Release on 85B?  (Read 183 times)

Offline Son of the Gael

Switching Slide Release on 85B?
« on: March 20, 2017, 10:55:44 PM »
Is it possible to drop in a non-ambidextrous slide release on a CZ85B?  I never use the right side lever and it is chewing up my leather holster.

Thanks in advance.

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
Re: Switching Slide Release on 85B?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2017, 05:26:33 AM »
The hole in the frame on the CZ 85, right side, is larger in diameter than the hole on the right side of a CZ 75.

There is an internal portion of the frame (to the left side of the spring/groove that is used to hold the two slide release pieces in the frame that may be smaller near the left side/inside of it.  I don't recall, in all the times I had mine apart, every looking to see if that inside hole was stepped (smaller on the left, to support the left side slide release) or if it was the same diameter all the way through (same as the hole in the right side of the frame).

Even if that hole is stepped (smaller for part of it) and you install a CZ 75 slide release, it will allow more dirt/dust/crud into the frame.

Any reason not to trade the CZ 85 in on a CZ 75?  You can get CZ 75's with ambidextrous safeties, too.

If you've just got to keep the CZ 85, have you thought about removing the right side slide release and filing/sanding it smooth, to get rid of the grooves?  It would have to be refinished, of course.

I haven't noticed my right side slide release damaging the holsters but I've sure noticed the holsters wearing the finish off the right side slide release (minor problem).
Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.  So, if you see me walking the dogs with my SIG 556R, its okay.

Offline Son of the Gael

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2017, 02:39:32 PM »
Just bought the 85 last year, really don't want to trade it off.  The issue is right where the slide release hits the lip of the holster, I'll look at "melting" the front edge of the release and it will likely slip on past with out further damage.

Your response and insight are greatly appreciated.

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2017, 02:53:26 PM »
Have you ever removed the right side slide release?  It's pretty easy to get out, you just field strip the pistol, then rotate the rights side slide release up or down till the spring is out of the retention slot and it'll pull right out of the frame.

Getting it back in is the aggravating part.  You've got to get something to raise that spring up so you can get the right side slide release started back into the frame.  One of those heavy duty picks is a great help to hold that spring up as you work the slide release back into the frame.
Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.  So, if you see me walking the dogs with my SIG 556R, its okay.

Offline Tok36

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2017, 10:15:08 PM »
I like the melting idea. If you end up going this route i would be interested in seeing the outcome OP.

Will work for CZ pics! (including but not limited to all CZ clones)