Author Topic: What distance do you shoot at?  (Read 5693 times)

Offline mattism78

Re: What distance do you shoot at?
« Reply #45 on: March 25, 2017, 08:22:49 PM »
10-20 yards when shooting pistols. Any closer and I feel like I'm cheating. Any farther and I feel like I need a rifle.

Offline Grizzlie

« Reply #46 on: March 26, 2017, 03:11:42 AM »
10-20 yards when shooting pistols. Any closer and I feel like I'm cheating. Any farther and I feel like I need a rifle.
Cheating! That's a good word for it :)

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

'...if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence'

Offline Boriqua

• Boriqua Leather
« Reply #47 on: March 27, 2017, 01:49:07 PM »
About 90 percent at 10 yds, then divide the rest between 25 yds and 7. 7-10 yds is the most likely outside ranges in a handgun confrontation and while I hope I go quietly into the night without every raising a gun in anger I may as well practice most at the range situations I am likely to find myself using one.

I like to end every session with a mag or 2 at 25 yds. I might go further if I could but my indoor limit is 25 yds Bullseye shooting at that distance will tell you alot about what may or may not be wrong with your form. I have trouble making out my front sight as I get older but if my stance grip and trigger work is good I can still hit 6 inch at 25 yds. If I get flyers then I did something wrong.

With litigation costs and little to no control over a juries pre prejudices I think it might be hard to claim and win with self defense in most cases when shooting at assailants 25 yds or more away and even if you win .. ya still had to pay the lawyers.

What is really good training isnt so much the distance but having to move the muzzle. Unfortunately you need free land to shoot like you can find in AZ as most indoor and outdoor ranges are built for strict lanes.

When I was in Boot many years ago and learning to shoot my rifle we had a wide lane set up with pop up targets. The targets were probably 50 yds apart left to right and were at varied distances out to 350 meters. The hardest part wasnt the 350. I had no problem with those. I used to see like an eagle. but if one popped up 50 yds out left and then one 50 yds right and you had to swing the rifle and get back on target before the target dropped that was more work. 250 rt and then 250 left was actually easier.

There are some shooters I know who like to put a variety of post it notes on their target. Its not a huge transition but still better practice than always going center mass because even changing target spot 16-20 inchs moves your arms and sights. Try that at 10 yds. Kind of an eye opener. Dont shoot rapid fire but shoot deliberately quick without to much time in between.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 06:05:33 PM by Boriqua »

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #48 on: March 30, 2017, 03:28:23 AM »
Let's let the whole streets ahead thing rest, shall we? Is done.  ;)
Distance? Handgun load testing, 10 yards. Hand gun accuracy, 25 yards. Rifle load test/sighting in, 25 yards. Rifle sight in/accuracy 100 yards. Rifle fun, 200/300 yards, which is as far out as I can reliably hit anything, pretty much. There IS a gong at 700 yards at the local range, and I hit it once firing a 70 year Mauser with iron sights from the standing position...once. People standing nearby asked me if I would try it again and I said no way, wanna savor that one. :D I have never hit it with the CZ-527, waaaaay too much drop with 7.62x39mm to even guestimate hold over.
Shotgun...umm...don't shoot shotgun much. Can't hit a bird on the wing, so I don't really use a shotgun much.

Joe, you didn't say a thing about your hitting a pie plate with your P-09 at 200 yards - we've seen you do it. :)

Offline oldtimer48

« Reply #49 on: April 01, 2017, 08:31:21 AM »
7 to 50 yards

Offline bgw45

« Reply #50 on: April 01, 2017, 10:55:16 AM »
15 yrds. 

Offline rhart

« Reply #51 on: April 01, 2017, 11:21:08 AM »
From a purely practical standpoint, 3 perfectly placed fast shots at around 7 yards would be a solid skill to have.  OTOH, it's also cool to be accurate (if slow) at 50 ft. 

So it just depends what your goals are. :)

I think 'slow' or 'fast' is a relative thing. What may seem 'slow' at longer distances could actually be considered 'fast.' I think it was Wyatt Earp who is credited with saying, "Take your time - in a hurry" in reference to gunfighting. If you are in a gun battle at 25 yards, the other guy is shooting from the same distance and, all else being equal, you both have similar time relevance - the 'fastest' shooter may be the 'slowest' in obtaining a debilitating hit - in which case 'fastest' 'loses' - and the 'slowest' shooter may get the effective hit 'faster' - in which case 'slow' is the 'winner.'
Musashi:
- In all forms of strategy, it is necessary to maintain the combat stance in everyday life and to make your everyday stance your combat stance. (situational awareness).
- You can only fight the way you practice.
- If you do not control the enemy, the enemy will control you.

Offline streets ahead

« Reply #52 on: April 06, 2017, 01:38:34 AM »

Yea, "streets ahead's" comment is a bit well...useless.

Protection wise, being that most confrontations are in the 7 to 20 yard range, practicing much over 25 yards for self protection is nonsense.
But for fun, I've shot my 3" barrel 22 out to about 150 yards.  You can drop your hand and count to 5 waiting for the "dink" of the bullet hitting the steel plate.

Mike

Sorry my post lacked all utility for you. I was trying to be snarky. The OP called a bunch of people pathetic and mocked their range reports. He's a far superior shooter than the rest of us mortals, so I quadrupled the ante.

Woah there. Hello. When did I 'mock' others or claim superior shooting abilities?!
1. I apologized upfront because that specific word came to me and knew it might offend someone.
2. I've actively and nicely participated in my own thread which turned out a waaay bigger response than anticipated, and glad of it
3. and since then I've (at least partially) conceded that shorter distance shooting has its place.

If this was another sarcastic post, then I definitely didn't 'get it.'

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Just for argument's sake, let's say I said something along the lines of: If you weren't aware that the word "pathetic" is loaded with connotation and considered contentious, then you are, sorry, but dare I say, retarded.

Let's just say that I threw that out there. Would the "sorry" or "dare I say" make you feel better about my poor phrasing?  Just curious. Argument's sake.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Offline Grizzlie

« Reply #53 on: April 06, 2017, 11:39:24 AM »

Just for argument's sake, let's say I said something along the lines of: If you weren't aware that the word "pathetic" is loaded with connotation and considered contentious, then you are, sorry, but dare I say, retarded.

Let's just say that I threw that out there. Would the "sorry" or "dare I say" make you feel better about my poor phrasing?  Just curious. Argument's sake.

If anything, I 'attacked' the practice (of 7 yard range reports, as clarified later in the thread). You 'attacked' the person (with a derogatory comment). Saying something is stupid is definitely not the same thing as saying someone is stupid. I'm open for discussion, shoot me a PM if you want to continue this path so the thread can stay clean.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 11:43:57 AM by Grizzlie »
'...if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence'

Offline Roikyou

« Reply #54 on: April 06, 2017, 11:50:04 AM »
Between 7 and 12 yards, mostly 7 yards working on grip and trigger since I've got a lot to work on.

Offline katonahjohn2

« Reply #55 on: April 15, 2017, 04:08:33 PM »
Handgun - 5, 10, 15, 20 yards.
ruger 10/22 - 50 yards generally, sometimes 100 yards
shotgun - out to 50 yards with birdshot and #3 buck, slug to 100 yards
AR - 50, 75, 100 yards
7.62 X 39 CZ bolt - 100 yards
Ruger American Rimfire - 22 cal bolt - 100 yards..

Offline dominic135

« Reply #56 on: April 20, 2017, 01:32:13 PM »
I started at 5 yards about 2 years ago. Some of you may laugh but it took at least 6 months for me to be satisfied. I bought at least 5 hand guns the first year for myself and 3 sons.  There was plenty of swapping going on that 1st year and that led to a slow start on accuracy. Once we picked our favorites and stuck with them, the learning curve  became more precise. All guns may shoot well at 5 yds, but shooters don't! When I was able to put 5 out of 5 in the bulls eye, I began at 7 yds. Now my eyes are old and my hands aren't as steady as they once were so I'm pretty limited but these are the distances you want to be good at for self defense. Unless you plan on "hunting" bad guys, you need to be very accurate in the 5-7 yd range. That is where your threat will be. So now I start at 10 yards.
That's not to say I don't try 25 yds from time to time but with my vision, I don't expect bulls eyes. It's just fun to do! Another point is that when you are learning, it's easier to trouble shoot your mistakes and make changes to your methods. When 1 out of 5 is a bad shot, it's easier to make changes. When 4 out of 5 are bad... where do you start? If my range partners are any indication, most shooters work on their ten yd. groupings at our club. Like any endeavor, the place to start, is at the beginning!

Offline dominic135

« Reply #57 on: April 20, 2017, 01:36:48 PM »
To Grizzly: my feelings aren't hurt in the least! Then again I can fire an ICBM at a target 3000 miles away and hit it +\- 3 yards!

Offline baldrage

« Reply #58 on: April 20, 2017, 03:43:44 PM »
From 3 to 25 yards, depending on the drill.

3 yards - Dot Torture

7 yards - strong-hand/weak-hand only

10 and 15 yards - transition across six index cards

12-15 yards - IDPA target, timed failure-to-stop

5, 10, 15, 20, 25 yards - walk-back drill on index cards

Offline Sicamosley

What distance do you shoot at?
« Reply #59 on: April 20, 2017, 09:05:24 PM »
1000 yards.  Anything less, and I hate to say it...pathetic.

In addition to looking down my nose at other shooters who are beneath me, I also enjoy farting into wine glasses and sniffing them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk