Author Topic: Federal Primers  (Read 2432 times)

Offline LarryBoy

Re: Federal Primers
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2017, 07:00:19 PM »
I picked up 1000 Federal today for $35.50. I will order a couple different main springs and do some testing, I'm currently running a 13#. Another good reason to throw more lead down range!

Offline SoCal

« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2017, 10:00:26 AM »
I use WSP and a 13# hammer spring.  The WSP are $123 per 5K so at that price I will suffer a 13#  spring, But I have not tried the 11.5# spring so it might work as well.
If I had known how much better being retired is than working I would have done it FIRST.

Offline dlidster

« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2017, 10:36:08 AM »
While I've long believed Federal small pistol primers are the only primers to use, I haven't been able to find them in almost a year. So, I make-do with Winchester small pistol primers. All three of my CZs have 11? pound springs and extended firing pins from CGW. In more than 10K of reloads with the WSP I have not had a single problem. I do trust them.

But, I do hope the Federal small pistol primers will come back some day.

Offline SoCal

« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2017, 11:30:58 AM »
Thanks dlidster, I may give the 11.5# spring a try.
If I had known how much better being retired is than working I would have done it FIRST.

Offline ReloaderFred

« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2017, 11:48:13 AM »
When my dealer friend received his shipment of 500,000 Federal SP primers last year I re-stocked.  I think I'm down to about 50,000 of them right now, plus another 20,000 Federal LP primers.  That doesn't count the S&B, MagTech and Winchester primers I keep in stock, but I do a lot of loading and shooting.  I'm also holding 10,000 SP and 10,000 LP Federal primers for a friend of mine from out of state who will be visiting this summer, and can't find them where he lives.  Plus, we don't have any sales tax......

The bottom line is to keep as much in stock as you can afford.  I try to keep at least a four year supply on hand at all times, especially primers.  Without them, powder is just fertilizer and bullets are just fishing weights.........  When you find them, buy them.

Hope this helps.

Fred
After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs

Offline Wobbly

• Administrator
  • Loves the smell of VihtaVuori in the morning !
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2017, 08:46:02 PM »
The bottom line is to keep as much in stock as you can afford.  I try to keep at least a four year supply on hand at all times, especially primers.  Without them, powder is just fertilizer and bullets are just fishing weights.........  When you find them, buy them.

+1  Primers are the only component you can't easily make at home.
In God we trust; On 'Starting Load' we rely.

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2017, 09:26:18 PM »
While I've long believed Federal small pistol primers are the only primers to use, I haven't been able to find them in almost a year. So, I make-do with Winchester small pistol primers. All three of my CZs have 11? pound springs and extended firing pins from CGW. In more than 10K of reloads with the WSP I have not had a single problem. I do trust them.

But, I do hope the Federal small pistol primers will come back some day.

I've found them online,  ordered and received them twice over the last year.
Just keep Google searching periodically and you'll find them from popular sources.  They may be pricey,  but ....

Offline Wobbly

• Administrator
  • Loves the smell of VihtaVuori in the morning !
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2017, 09:58:21 AM »
Still not commonly available !
In God we trust; On 'Starting Load' we rely.

Offline oldfrank

« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2017, 02:50:45 PM »
Wow, I almost got aroused for a minute until I realized this was an old thread.

Offline dlidster

« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2017, 01:37:01 PM »
They're now in stock at Scheel's in Des Moines, IA. I purchased 4,000 last week. More remain on the shelves and in the stock room.

FWIW, during the Federal SPP drought I used many thousands of Winchester SPPs in my CZs that have 11? pound hammer springs and in my Berettas that have 13 pound springs and both Elite and Elite II hammers. I have had no (absolutely none) light strikes. So, should the Federals disappear again sometime in the future, I'm not going to worry about it. The Winchester SPPs are fine and have always been available in quantities in all the retail stores I frequent.

Offline oldfrank

« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2017, 08:06:17 PM »
Yep, the Winchesters have run perfectly in all my light sprung CZ's.

Only Federals will run reliably in my S&W revolver I shoot IDPA and Icore with.