Author Topic: New Scorpion Shooting High and Left  (Read 4342 times)

Offline shaneb1

Re: New Scorpion Shooting High and Left
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2017, 11:08:50 AM »
fyi, there is a special custom set of sights made by CZ that make a world of difference. they arent cheap, but worth it. If you cant find them in the CZ shop contact me as I may have an extra set.

Good luck

Offline Asmodeus

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2017, 05:41:13 PM »
So I took the gun to a gunsmith. Huge issue with the barrel per the gunsmith. The gun has been sent back to CZ for repairs. I will update you once I find out what was actually happening per CZ.

Which was what exactly? 

Offline akuser47

« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2017, 06:27:05 PM »
I'm curious as well? What was the problem your gunsmith described? It will be good to have the information added so that we know. Keep us posted as you have been. I hope they get it returned quickly to you.

Offline scalagator

« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2017, 11:17:12 AM »
That was where his explanation stopped. Given that it was reputable shop and he does this for a living, I took the guy at face value. I assume CZ will be a little more verbose in their response. In retrospect, I should have pushed the issue a little more  :-\

Offline VCU-CZ

• Let's Go VCU
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2017, 12:37:27 PM »
I noticed mine is really off as well. I was only shooting it at really close ranges, like 7y or 10y, but it is shooting a good 4-5 inches above the point of aim and to the right a bit. I'm assuming it is zeroed for way farther than that, so maybe that's it. I am gonna try to bench it and stretch it out to at least 25 before i get too worried though.

Offline Asmodeus

« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2017, 02:18:22 PM »
That was where his explanation stopped. Given that it was reputable shop and he does this for a living, I took the guy at face value. I assume CZ will be a little more verbose in their response. In retrospect, I should have pushed the issue a little more  :-\

Assuming you paid him to look at it, I think you are entitled to a more detailed explanation of the exact issue he found.  Mainly because it may be useful to compare what he found, to what CZ says when they receive the firearm.  I would call him and ask so that when it comes back you have an idea of what should have been done to fix the issue. 

I noticed mine is really off as well. I was only shooting it at really close ranges, like 7y or 10y, but it is shooting a good 4-5 inches above the point of aim and to the right a bit. I'm assuming it is zeroed for way farther than that, so maybe that's it. I am gonna try to bench it and stretch it out to at least 25 before i get too worried though.

I would dial the horizontal/windage adjustment in, then step back.  That way when your groups open up a little, you can just focus on elevation with the ammo you plan on using.

Mine was 3" low and 2" left at about that distance using 115gr.  It took about 4 clicks of windage to get it on center, and I put about one full turn on the FSP to bring the group up a little.  I found the gun to be quite accurate after this, even with the trash aluminum Federal 115gr.  A bench was not available, so I passed it off to a few other people to confirm the mean POI was on center.  (Which resulted in some other people having fun too)    :D

Offline mb60evo

« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2017, 10:35:45 AM »
I guess that CZ gets the sights zeroed at 25yds., as that would be the normal distance for a 9mm.

If it shoots a couple of inches high at closer distances, that's normal.

The flight path of a bullet is not a straight line, it is curved, and depending on the caliber and bullet, some have a flight path (or trajectory) like a rainbow.

The 9mm (9x19 / 9mm Luger) is also not known for good long range trajectory.

Offline Rick53

« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2017, 10:55:36 AM »
Based on Iron sights : 25 yard Zero would be 2 inches low at 4 yards, graduating to 1/2 an inch high between 14-24 yards  A 50 yard Zero is Zero'd at 5 yards and then anywhere between 1/2 and 1 inch high (Bullet weight) Between 5-49 yards: At 25 yards a 50 yard Zero with 124 gr Round Nose Bullet would be hitting approximately 3/4 to 1 inch high.  These are just approximations : But it should give you a general idea:

A 50 yard Zero would be more practical Since you'd have a Zero at 6 yards . Then be able to use variables of a 6 o'clock hold at whatever distance out to 50 yards

Offline scalagator

« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2017, 02:31:30 PM »
Update:

Received a scorpion back from CZ. I say "a" because they sent me a new one. No explanation of the issue with the other.
I also had the chance to review the gunsmith's notes. He didn't try any work beyond diagnosing the problem. The shop waved the fees.

Offline akuser47

« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2017, 04:32:45 PM »
Nice, and now range time and a follow up report on how your new scorpion shoots.

Offline scalagator

« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2017, 10:03:45 PM »
Went to the range this evening. New gun shoots awesome!!! Sights were perfect dead center. Guess I just got lucky with the old dud one that slipped through the cracks somewhere. I'm glad this issue was finally resolved.

Once again, thank you for your help and advice everyone!