Author Topic: What to do with this new to me 1998 CZ75 B Isreali Police Surplus Pistol?  (Read 4133 times)

Offline Butterman

Hi All,
I recently bought this CZ75 B that was an Israeli Police surplus pistol.  Looks like it had a long service life with lots of holster wear. 

It's number 1626 in the photo below:

It fired okay from my CZ P-01 magazines and from the beat to death mag that came with it.  No misfeeds but it lacked the smoothness of my P-01.  Earlier today I took it apart and cleaned it.  I just did a field strip not a complete disassemble but scrubbed a lot of dirt/black off the gun.  The feed ramp was completely black and I had to scrub with some pads and cleaner to get to the nickle colored metal underneath.  The mag looks like it was used to nail boards or something.  I had to unbend it then use several tools to get the bottom off.  It was starting to rust.  I cleaned it up and used a new mag base plate I had. 

Questions I have for this group:

1. What is the barrel coated in?  Is it nitrided?  It's silver in appearance.  The rest of the pistol looks like the black poly coating.

2. Looks like it was made in 1998.  Is this the same CZ 75 B that is made today?

3. I'm looking to have some fun upgrading this for USPSA and plinking with friends.  The sights are beat up and the front sight paint is mostly gone.  I was wondering if any of the new fiber optic sights would fit? 

4. I saw that Cajun Gun works does a race gun kit with a new hammer and other parts.  Anyone do this themselves?  Any recommendations for "tuning" this gun?  I'd like to stay in the "Production" class.

5. The grips are old and stiff and almost slick.  I'm thinking of getting some new rubber ones from CZ.  I love the grips on my P-01.  I see lots of the aluminum grips on offer.  Anyone recommend them or can shine any light on what they are good for?

Thanks all for your input!

https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/17498602_10212372525132050_7862525962309782570_n.jpg?oh=fc0c900a7c7f4aa35ac4259ad55935cc&oe=59576B3F

« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 06:03:43 PM by Butterman »

Offline delphidoc

• Larry
I can't see the picture
When the knock on the door said “Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms,” naturally I thought it was a delivery…

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
Welcome to the forum
Most of your questions are answered in detail in the forums.
The stickys above the Gunsmithing forum have a lot of pics and instructions for DIY upgrades. sights, action parts like hammers, sear, disconnector, firing pins, springs, etc x10. :) CZ CUstom Shop, Cajun Gun works and more offer a
W I D E assortment of aftermarket upgrades.

Either CZC or CGW Competition rear and F.O. front sights are often used for USPSA and range target shooting.  In 98 most 75s have the front sight dovetail that runs from front to rear on the barrel.  Retention is by using a small pin the also holds the barrel bushing.  If like this,  then you are good to go. 

The BBL is likely coated with a heat treatment that was black and a little rough looking.  CZ did this for a number of years.  A number of owners just polish it off with no apparent harm. Others just leave it on.

Several here have threads with pics showing restoration of older and transitional models of the 75.  Your pic didn't show up.  If you can get the pic posted,  it might help identify parts needed.

Sounds like a neat project.  Others will chime in with experience restoring the 75s.

Grips:  The aluminum grips that accept grip tape are often used by competitors for a firm grip.  They come in different thicknesses along with aftermarket variations that meet shooters' needs.

Do some research and be sure to ask any questions you have.  Questions are smart. ;) 

« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 01:47:02 AM by 1SOW »

Offline BB213

• CZ for the win!
I have the CZ rubber grip panels and HiViz fiber optics on mine and they work great for me. I would recommend you only use OEM CZ mags in it too, had problems with other mag makers.

Offline Butterman

Can folks see the picture now?

SPO1SHADOW

Yep, sure can.

Offline Swamp ash

#1625 :-X drool...

Ruger rimfire fan

Offline Grendel

• Administrator
  • 'Live Long, and Prosper'
Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges - Tacitus

Inter arma enim silent leges - Cicero

I wasn't born in America, but I got here as fast as I could.

Offline Butterman

Welcome to the forum
Most of your questions are answered in detail in the forums.
The stickys above the Gunsmithing forum have a lot of pics and instructions for DIY upgrades. sights, action parts like hammers, sear, disconnector, firing pins, springs, etc x10. :) CZ CUstom Shop, Cajun Gun works and more offer a
W I D E assortment of aftermarket upgrades.

Either CZC or CGW Competition rear and F.O. front sights are often used for USPSA and range target shooting.  In 98 most 75s have the front sight dovetail that runs from front to rear on the barrel.  Retention is by using a small pin the also holds the barrel bushing.  If like this,  then you are good to go. 

The BBL is likely coated with a heat treatment that was black and a little rough looking.  CZ did this for a number of years.  A number of owners just polish it off with no apparent harm. Others just leave it on.

Several here have threads with pics showing restoration of older and transitional models of the 75.  Your pic didn't show up.  If you can get the pic posted,  it might help identify parts needed.

Sounds like a neat project.  Others will chime in with experience restoring the 75s.

Grips:  The aluminum grips that accept grip tape are often used by competitors for a firm grip.  They come in different thicknesses along with aftermarket variations that meet shooters' needs.

Do some research and be sure to ask any questions you have.  Questions are smart. ;)

Thanks for the insight!  Great forum!

Offline Butterman

I have the CZ rubber grip panels and HiViz fiber optics on mine and they work great for me. I would recommend you only use OEM CZ mags in it too, had problems with other mag makers.

Thanks for the recommendations!  I think I'll order up some new rubber grips and take a look at the HiViz.

All my mags for the CZs are OEM.  I run both S&W and ACT mags in my M&P without issues.   Bulgarian and Russian mags in my Makarov seem to all work.  Thanks.

Offline Butterman

#1625 :-X drool...

I'm new to these models, what is special about that pistol?

Offline Swamp ash

I'm new to these models, what is special about that pistol?

For me?  I like the old-school charm of a spur hammer and that one also has the thinner, round trigger guard, too.
Ruger rimfire fan

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
Complete tear down, cleaning and inspection of parts/condition.

When I rebuilt my Pre B CZ 85 (also a former Israeli use pistol) I put new springs in it, just to make me feel good (maybe) but that's the only way to know how much wear/tear is on them - by putting brand new ones in it.

Since the extractor was out (for the cleaning/inspection) I also put a new extractor in it.  Again, a wear/tear thing.  Now I know the extractor is good to go.

I had to replace my  barrel, too, it was badly pitted in the barrel and chamber (fitting a new barrel to some Pre B's is more work than others due to the changes in the way the slide and barrels are made/fit together).

It's fun.  It costs even more money (new parts and refinishing) but you can end up with a very well functioning and very pretty handgun.
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline Butterman

Complete tear down, cleaning and inspection of parts/condition.

When I rebuilt my Pre B CZ 85 (also a former Israeli use pistol) I put new springs in it, just to make me feel good (maybe) but that's the only way to know how much wear/tear is on them - by putting brand new ones in it.

Since the extractor was out (for the cleaning/inspection) I also put a new extractor in it.  Again, a wear/tear thing.  Now I know the extractor is good to go.

I had to replace my  barrel, too, it was badly pitted in the barrel and chamber (fitting a new barrel to some Pre B's is more work than others due to the changes in the way the slide and barrels are made/fit together).

It's fun.  It costs even more money (new parts and refinishing) but you can end up with a very well functioning and very pretty handgun.
Thanks for the input!  My barrel looks pretty good, I think, but I am looking to take the gun to a gunsmith for a full assessment and have them install the upgrades, mainly the sights.  Still too new to do it myself.  I have a gunsmith friend (pro, not amateur) that I'd like to watch while he worked.  He's mostly retired but I think a six pack may do the convincing...

Offline Boriqua

• Boriqua Leather
Man if I could get it shot with clear protectant I would leave the finish. I think its neat. There is a local company that offers "Battleworn" Cerekote jobs

https://www.google.com/search?q=area+15+battle+worn+cerakote&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjO9Ijk1fnSAhUE02MKHe2mD_MQ_AUIBigB&biw=1280&bih=889

Yours is authentic!  :)

I really like the spur hammer and round trigger guard. Nice score