Author Topic: What to do with this new to me 1998 CZ75 B Isreali Police Surplus Pistol?  (Read 4129 times)

Offline noway

I bought a pre-B that had light rusting, so I decided to cerakote. The finish on yours looks okay still.

I'm guessing that a detail strip and cleaning will get the gun functioning smoothly. I wouldn't touch any internals unless they're obviously broken/non-functional.

I wouldn't be able to 'soup' up a pre-B, just too historical. Like putting dove tail sights on a USSR military Makarov.

Maybe new sights, and 'smith the magwell, and leave it at that?

Offline longgonedaddy

I would upgrade all the internals and leave all the external use alone!

Offline Butterman

I will shoot it a few more times before I do anything.  The clean and lube made a big difference already.

SPO1SHADOW

Since your gun is not a Pre-B and you purchased it to run in Production I would do the following:
Replace the grips with either the Shadow or full sized LOK Bogies. Put skate board tape on the front and rear grip straps. The Bogie grips from LOK will give you optimum grip you need to compete.
I would replace the sights with the EZ-D 9/40 that is sold by CGW's
I would install CGW's Pro Package and polish all the internals
If you are going to finish it I would go with Cerakote to stand up to the constant holstering/unholstering.
I would install the CGW's 10X bushing
These mods will put your gun where it needs to be to be competitive as far as sights, grips and the action. The barrel you asked about is not coated, it's just plain steel.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 07:12:56 PM by SPO1SHADOW »

Offline Butterman

Since your gun is not a Pre-B and you purchased it to run in Production I would do the following:
Replace the grips with either the Shadow or full sized LOC Bogies. Put skate board tape on the front and rear grip straps. The Bogie grips from LOK will give you optimum grip you need to compete.
If you are going to finish it I would go with Ceracoat to stand up to the constant holstering/unholstering.
These mods will put your gun where it needs to be to be competitive as far as sights, grips and the action. The barrel you asked about is not coated, it's just plain steel.

Thanks for the great recommendations and specifics!  Has anyone polished the internal components in a vibratory tumbler using walnut shells?

Offline krehmkej

Polishing in a tumbler will do nothing except clean the parts up.
If you mean polishing contact areas to smooth and lighten the action, then you must use stones, sandpaper and polishing compounds.
My '86 variant is so rough internally that if I polished it smooth, there's little doubt that it would never function again.
Settled for smoothing the high spots a bit.
-jwk-

SPO1SHADOW

Study the link below and you should get the idea of what you should be doing when polishing the internals.

http://www.czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=42537.0

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
Not saying it's hard, not saying it's easy.

But, remove too much metal and you'll have a non functioning pistol that needs new parts.

Sometimes, removing metal at the wrong angle (another way of removing too much, even though you may not physically take as much metal off as the first way) will end up with the same non functioning pistol that needs new parts.

What you really want is to smooth the metal surfaces for your first attempt.  Some improvements may require removing more metal than just smoothing up the surfaces but that's another way to mess it up if you go too far.

Do it slow, do it right, with tests along the way to insure you're getting improvement without removing too much metal and you can end up with a very reliable, very neat handing/functioning pistol.

Either way, you'll learn more about your new pistol and how to take care of it.
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline Butterman

Replace the grips with either the Shadow or full sized LOK Bogies. Put skate board tape on the front and rear grip straps. The Bogie grips from LOK will give you optimum grip you need to compete.
If you are going to finish it I would go with Cerakote to stand up to the constant holstering/unholstering.

I've received the Bogie grips and really like them.  The rest is on order with CGWs.  I will post updates periodically.  Thanks for the assistance!

Offline Sotka2117

I'm new to these models, what is special about that pistol?

For me?  I like the old-school charm of a spur hammer and that one also has the thinner, round trigger guard, too.

I bought the CZ-75, item 1625, from the mosin crate.
The slide is mismatched, barrel and frame are same number.
I cleaned it with mineral spritis and ballistol.

Even with a mismatched slide the fit is tight. Nothing rattles in it at all. It's very easy to rack up.

The trigger feel is almost as good as on my S&W 686+, performance center tuned revolver.
I do not have competition level handguns, but compared to other three CZ-75s I have, the trigger on that beat-up pre-B 75 feels best. Also, it has a captivated steel guiding rod, my more modern 75s have plastic rod.

It's a joy to shoot. I have put at least 600 rounds through it in 3 range trips this month alone.

I was thinking about sending it to CZC for a check and restoration.
But I'm not even sure if there is any reason to replace anything in this gun.

Offline Butterman

This was my third purchase from the mosin crate and I've been happy with all three purchases.  They are usually not pristine beauties but they all have fired well and been in good shape.  I shoot my guns and don't want perfect finish guns for just rubbing and looking at.  Two of the three were Israeli police turn ins that have seen a ton of holster time.  My CZ75B wasn't so smooth at first but I gave it a big cleaning and lube and it's super smooth now.  I've ordered up the parts to upgrade it but haven't been in town enough to do it.  I'm prepping for a race in May at Road America for my other hobby racing that is consuming any free time I have.

One of the other guns was a Yugoslav CZ99 (Crvena Zastava, nothing to do with our favorite Czech manufacturer).  It's got great wear patterns that people love and it shoots like a dream.  I've received two offers to purchase it while at the range from buddies, they can't shoot it enough.  I thought that buying it might have been a mistake after I purchased it and experienced some buyer's remorse waiting for it to arrive.  It didn't help that when I took off a grip to clean it one of the springs launched itself into the garage never to be found again.  I fashioned a replacement out of a paperclip and it worked well testing it at the range.  I managed to find a replacement spring at Numrich.