Author Topic: How do you prep your kids to catch our passion?  (Read 4062 times)

Offline Scarlett Pistol

How do you prep your kids to catch our passion?
« on: March 29, 2017, 08:58:09 PM »
My little lady found one of my Cajun stickers and wanted it. So.... I found a place where she would see it often. Inception? You bet! One of many tactics to peak her interest when the time is ready. How about you all?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

"In God I trust. All others must supply data."

Offline GingerCZaddict

Re: How do you prep your kids to catch our passion?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2017, 09:35:53 PM »
I started just with talk... And when she was 5 had her memorize the 4 rules of gun safety (make it a game) then at 6 we started working on grip, stance and finger trigger discipline. Did this weekly-ish... Til she was 9. Took her to the range for the first time... She shot my ruger 22/45... And loved it. She then started asking to shoot other guns there.... And she loved them all. Pistols she shot... 22/45, glock 42, kimber 3" in 45. Long guns... 5.56, off sand bags,... Tavor in 556, standing (I had to help hold this one up).... And wait for it.... FN SCAR 17! She took 3 shots in a row with the battle rifle.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Offline GingerCZaddict

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2017, 09:36:47 PM »

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Offline IronicTwitch

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2017, 10:04:52 PM »
I've got the most expensive bullet feeder, case loader, and case gauger money can buy!

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2017, 04:04:55 AM »
Now that's awesome. :) My son wanted to hang on the arm for the press when he was younger, and he'd "help" prep brass with me, but he never really caught the shooting bug. He shot his CZ 455 Scout in 2011, and that was the last time he'd been out on the firing line until he got his newly beloved STG44 22 clone. He loves that...but thought the Scorpion had too much recoil... I guess he's a little recoil sensitive. STG44 rocks his world right 'round the clock. 8)
I started teaching him firearms safety as soon as he was able to listen and understand, and he caught on pretty darn quick. Very safe on the line and handling firearms. He still has his targets posted on the wall from his 455 Scout. :)

Offline Scarlett Pistol

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2017, 08:38:33 AM »
Haha this is great!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

"In God I trust. All others must supply data."

Offline hensc

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2017, 08:43:15 AM »
Taking notes... hoping to start with my oldest when he turns 5

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
75B
PCR
P-10C

Offline schmeky

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2017, 09:33:07 AM »
That's amazing.  Nothing will ever replace a caring, attentive set of parents.  I admire you for that.

Offline Luvdog

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2017, 12:19:32 PM »
Now that's awesome. :) My son wanted to hang on the arm for the press when he was younger, and he'd "help" prep brass with me, but he never really caught the shooting bug. He shot his CZ 455 Scout in 2011, and that was the last time he'd been out on the firing line until he got his newly beloved STG44 22 clone. He loves that...but thought the Scorpion had too much recoil... I guess he's a little recoil sensitive. STG44 rocks his world right 'round the clock. 8)
I started teaching him firearms safety as soon as he was able to listen and understand, and he caught on pretty darn quick. Very safe on the line and handling firearms. He still has his targets posted on the wall from his 455 Scout. :)

Any interest in selling that scout if you still have it?

Offline v1x3nv

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2017, 04:48:19 PM »
This is so awesome!

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2017, 10:13:59 PM »
When my boys were little, I'm talking 3 to 4 years old, we'd set in the floor and clean guns after I'd been shooting. 

We went over the safety rules.  I'd tell them which gun was which, what the caliber was, where the safety was, etc.  Every time we'd clean the guns we'd go over all that and I'd explain why cleaning/lubing was important.

If the boys had a question about one of the guns we'd get it out of the case/closet and go over the safety rules and then they could hold the gun and we'd ask questions and get answers.

The oldest one suddenly lost interest in guns/shooting about the time the youngest one got old enough to start shooting.  Now that I realize he had severe anxiety issues about being compared to the younger one at least I know what happened (he also quit fishing with me and just about quit everything we did together).  The oldest suddenly regained an interest in guns/shooting over a year ago and he's actually taken days off from work to go shooting with me.  He's bought a CZ 75 Compact, too.  He's showing an interest in some of my dad's guns and my father-in-laws guns (all 30 to 70 years old or more and just regular hunting shotguns and rifles, but hey, it's still an interest in guns).

The youngest has the disease almost as bad as I do.  He's most always talking guns when we're together and goes to all the local gun shows with me.  He goes shooting with me several times a year and recently decided he wanted to start reloading on his own (his house).  He's reloaded his rifle and pistol ammo for several years now using my reloading equipment.

You've got to start early and make it interesting and enjoyable.  If they have fun, they'll want to do it.
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2017, 02:34:00 AM »

Any interest in selling that scout if you still have it?

Sorry, amigo, not for sale. :)

Offline jameslovesjammie

• The Last Best Place
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2017, 09:19:32 AM »
All of my 3 kids have been different.

My oldest is 11.  I started taking him with me shooting when he was 3.  He started shooting BB gun, then .22.  He now shoots USPSA with me and shot his first deer last fall.

My middle boy showed zero interest in shooting until this past winter.  At 6, I now can't keep him from behind his Scout.  He doesn't seem to have a desire to shoot pistol, but LOVES shooting rifle.

My little girl is 3.  She would come down to the shooting bench and want to see what the boys were doing.  She really loves shooting her BB gun, but I don't think really grasps the way the sights work yet.  As long as she is happy pulling the trigger, I'm going to keep buying BB's!  She will shoot with us for about 15 minutes, then want to go play with Grandma.

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2017, 12:13:36 PM »
All of my 3 kids have been different.

My oldest is 11.  I started taking him with me shooting when he was 3.  He started shooting BB gun, then .22.  He now shoots USPSA with me and shot his first deer last fall.

My middle boy showed zero interest in shooting until this past winter.  At 6, I now can't keep him from behind his Scout.  He doesn't seem to have a desire to shoot pistol, but LOVES shooting rifle.

My little girl is 3.  She would come down to the shooting bench and want to see what the boys were doing.  She really loves shooting her BB gun, but I don't think really grasps the way the sights work yet.  As long as she is happy pulling the trigger, I'm going to keep buying BB's!  She will shoot with us for about 15 minutes, then want to go play with Grandma.

Yup, don't push her.  You'll both be happier if she wants to do it on her own time.  I used to take my youngest one fishing sometimes.  We'd take his tacklebox, fishing pole and some toys.  He'd fish till he got bored, then sit in the bottom of the boat and play with his GI Joes.  When I'd catch a fish he'd drop the Joes, pick up his fishing pole and start tossing a lure again.  Now he's the one that got me into kayak fishing ponds and rivers.  If I'd forced him to fish he'd most likely stopped going fishing with me.
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline redbaron

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2017, 10:49:38 AM »
I force my kids to do all the cleaning and maintenance on my guns. I make sure I sit them in a well lit, and bare room and I play a CD I made with the rules of safe gun handling on an infinite loop. When they don't work fast enough or if they mess up and the inside of those barrels aren't so clean I could eat off them, they spend a night in the box. That usually straightens them out pretty quick. I picked up a nice pair of mirrored aviator sunglasses to wear since it's so bright in the gun room.

Actually, the replies here have been the kinds of answers I've been looking for, too. I've got a 5 year old and a 3 year old and I've been thinking it's about time to start planting the seeds. Thanks for the great ideas, guys!

anything