Author Topic: This is interesting French GIGN orders BREN 2s..  (Read 649 times)

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
This is interesting French GIGN orders BREN 2s..
« on: April 02, 2017, 10:08:13 PM »
French GIGN, their LE anti terrorism outfit, has decided to replace the HK 416 with BREN 2 rifles with 9" barrels in 7.62x39mm. Small order, but a big feather in CZ's hat!
https://www.shephardmedia.com/news/special-operations/sofins-french-gign-gets-new-rifle/

Offline Grendel

• Administrator
  • Rebel Scum
Re: This is interesting French GIGN orders BREN 2s..
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2017, 11:16:31 PM »
That's nothing. The BIG news is that I'm packing a Bren 805 A2 with an HK GLM grenade launcher on Ghost Recon: Wildlands!
Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges - Tacitus

Inter arma enim silent leges - Cicero

I wasn't born in America, but I got here as fast as I could.

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2017, 11:03:36 AM »
That's some sort of game, right?  8)

Offline Grendel

• Administrator
  • Rebel Scum
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2017, 11:12:59 AM »
That's some sort of game, right?  8)

Yep, and I'm kicking the !@*& out of the EL Sueno Cartel in Bolivia

Offline WaltherP99

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2017, 01:35:44 PM »
That's nothing. The BIG news is that I'm packing a Bren 805 A2 with an HK GLM grenade launcher on Ghost Recon: Wildlands!

What platform?

Offline Grendel

• Administrator
  • Rebel Scum
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2017, 01:49:40 PM »
Xbox One

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2017, 10:02:07 PM »
*sigh*.... ;D

Offline Hognose

• WeaponsMan
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2017, 04:06:59 PM »
Guys who don't play games are following this with *great* interest, but so far there is no source for this except the single report.

The 7.62 x 39 is an extremely idiosyncratic choice for a western police (even militarized police / CT) organization. Some are using .300 BLK and some are resisting it. Still others are making noise about the Imaginary Great Future Do Everything Round.

If this report is true, and not urban legend or garble, the real winner is more likely to be the CZ 806 Bren 2 than the 1943G cartridge. GIGN adoption will make many others take the CZUB entry more seriously.

That said, I honestly thought this article was an April Fool's Day joke. Only thing is, it was published in March.
Kevin R.C. O'Brien
My CZs: CZ-75 P-01-CGW trigger 2015; CZ-75 1987; CZ-UB Z Pistol 1956 (Duo); Dušek "JAGA" (export Duo) c. 1938; CZ 70, 52s, 50, 45, 36, 24; Alois Tomiška "Little Tom" (.32 and .25), Praga 7.65.

Offline RSR

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2017, 02:11:47 AM »
Well, Hognose's blog had me clicking here to see the chat, so might as well linkback: http://weaponsman.com/?p=40275

Also, I don't get how any military or police force who also issues 5.56 could consider .300 blk considering the very real kaboom risk...  On the police side there's the injury, insurance, and disability costs, and though those same also exist on the military side, the special forces military forces training is far from either cheap or expedient (only set I've seen allegedly adopting)...

The 9" barrel, 7.62x39 standard loads are a little weak and underpowered unless loaded w/ faster burning powders than combloc spec. 

EDIT: HN -- you're probably the man to ask.  Why not train police to shoot at the pelvis or head if wearing body armor rather than seek caliber as the sole remedy... 
Also, not just to HN, but 7.62x39, probably ahead for some sort of saboted penetrator against plate body armor (in which case, a +P or +P+ 9mm can probably be found that's equally sufficient) than any sort of standard 9mm load.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 02:20:20 AM by RSR »

Offline RSR

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2017, 01:18:04 AM »
With a sad heart, I must share that Hognose/Weaponsman has left this earth: http://weaponsman.com/?p=40501

If you haven't been to his blog, there is a tremendous amount of Czech information there -- and unfortunately his planned Czech weapons books/catalogs were not completed and uncertain if his first will ever be published from current form.  His first was supposed to be on Czech pistols with subguns, rifles, and military arms volumes to follow...

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2017, 12:29:55 PM »
Waitaminnit, the guy who just posted above? Dagnabbit! >:( :'(

Offline RSR

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2017, 07:23:44 PM »
Unfortunately, yes.  Though he didn't post here often, Hognose regulalry checked these blogs.  He had a tremendous base of knowledge, and spoke/read Czech so would translate original sources from time to time as well... Truly a loss.