Author Topic: CZ75 SA: 2,157 rounds, no cleaning, no failures  (Read 3088 times)

Offline DexterGSP

CZ75 SA: 2,157 rounds, no cleaning, no failures
« on: April 02, 2017, 10:42:25 PM »
I obtained this CZ75 SA new back in Feb. of 2016.  Since then I have put a total of 2,157 rounds through it.  About 5% of the ammo fired has been factory FMJ rounds, 5% FMJ reloads, and 90% lead reloads.  I also circulated 10 magazines through the pistol, 4 CZ mags and 6 Mec-Gar mags.

I use this pistol as a range gun.  I was curious how long the pistol could go failure free while not cleaning it.   The pistol has not been cleaned at all.  The only thing I have done was to put a few drops of oil on the rails and the barrel between shooting sessions.

I was really surprised that there were no malfunctions especially since I used my hastily thrown together reloads.  Notice all the gunk and grim in the pistol.  That?s a combination of oil, carbon, lead, and bullet lube.

I?m thoroughly impressed with this pistol! 

image hosting site no sign up

image hosting free

uploading pictures

image hosting over 2mb

AZCDL and GOA Member

Offline flyingbrass

Re: CZ75 SA: 2,157 rounds, no cleaning, no failures
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2017, 01:10:59 AM »
Are you going to give up and clean it now?

My SA is at 2557 rounds, almost entirely 125 grain lead reloads.  It has had 3 malfunctions, all ammo-related.

1) At about 400 rounds:  FTE caused by an undersized case rim.  We saved the case and measured the rim.  After that, I took a hair off the extractor pad.  No issues since.

2) At about 1100 rounds:  A stovepipe from a load undercharged by potentially as much as .6 grains thanks to Lee's crappy Auto-drum powder measure I was using at the time.  I knew I had some undercharged loads in that batch and was surprised the CZ only had a single malfunction as a result.

3) At about 1300 rounds:  Failure to feed a round with a severely dinged case mouth.  It would not fit into the chamber with the gouge oriented in the position it happened to be as the round tried to feed.  Later, I discovered this was caused by the Lee expander plug.  The Lee plug doesn't always obviously completely ruin a case when a case doesn't center.  It can produce a more subtle gouge deep enough that can't be ironed out by seating and crimping.  I wonder how often this has happened before.  Serious match shooters check all their reloads in gauges, presumably to rule out this kind of thing.

Overall, pretty impressive considering we use mixed brass with more than 20 different headstamps.

Offline Tyerone

• Saving the planet.
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2017, 11:23:38 AM »
Maybe time to clean it so you can have a better look see as to how the metal parts are wearing in?  No point in keeping it dirty forever -- especially might be nice to remove lead build up IMHO.  ???

Offline Trblshtr

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2017, 07:46:14 PM »
Seeing those pictures reminded me of watching 1950's swamp monster horror movies.  Not quite sure how I'm going to move past this...  :o
Steve

Offline whitecap

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2017, 08:12:33 PM »
OH brother, Joe L would be proud of you. O0. That is one nasty looking internal shot but very impressive for the brand. Thanks for sharing. What's next, is it going to be the CZ bunny, going, and going, etc?

Offline K3JB

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2017, 08:30:19 PM »
Geez, I agree speak to Joe L, he like to see nasty looking stuff. I am impressed with the CZ75 SA, their is a good chance
I will be purchasing one. I am not a DA/SA guy, rather have SA or striker fired. Thanks for the photo's and your report.
"Blessed is the man, who having nothing to say, abstains from giving wordy evidence of the fact." - George Eliot

Offline Oldwolf

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2017, 10:04:28 AM »
Next time see how long it will function with no lube. It will probably stay cleaner.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

SP-01 Shadow Target Custom
75 SA

Offline Rutherford2

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2017, 12:04:30 PM »
Mine started to hiccup around 4000 rounds. Did a detail strip and clean at 5000 (mostly because it got kicked through sand.. but also because of extraction issues.).  Lots of gunk under the extractor that was causing the occasional failure to extract - but other than that and the sand it was ready to rock.

Offline Tyerone

• Saving the planet.
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2017, 03:28:33 PM »
Next time see how long it will function with no lube. It will probably stay cleaner.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Yes!  Way too much lube, LOL.
No, please dont turn this into another lube preference thread.  Obviosly, the OP believes in a Pb/C/GSR chemical concoction!

Offline DexterGSP

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2017, 04:47:43 PM »
I used several different lubes throughout the last year.  What you see is a mix of ATF, Hopes, Tetra, and Ballistol.  The pistol ran great regardless of what I used.
AZCDL and GOA Member

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2017, 05:26:25 PM »
You've been reading to many of Joel's posts.
 ;D ;D ;D

Offline sigken

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2017, 06:41:57 PM »
Pictures look nasty  ;D ;D ;D

That's what I'd like to hear for a combat pistol. Dirty as heck but still functional.

But please clean it now :D

Offline DexterGSP

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2017, 06:46:15 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D

Who's Joel?
AZCDL and GOA Member

Offline Tok36

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2017, 07:40:48 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D

Who's Joel?

A man, a myth, a shooter of bullseyes. He too has been known to go a few days between cleanings.

On another note, interesting post. It looks gooey in there, thank you for the pics.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 01:51:08 PM by Tok36 »
Will work for CZ pics! (including but not limited to all CZ clones)

Offline Winkel

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2017, 08:25:57 PM »
I don't keep my guns pristine but I'm twitching just looking at those pictures!

It's pretty cool though that it will still function through all of that.

Thanks for posting!