Author Topic: Picked up a New Production Shadow 1 Duo Tone  (Read 1588 times)

Offline SpazC

Picked up a New Production Shadow 1 Duo Tone
« on: April 07, 2017, 01:49:05 PM »
 I've been Shooting a SP-01 for a couple years now and she's had probably 16-17k rounds down the pipe... on the original slide stop to boot!   I've finally gotten to the point, both financially and skill wise, to justify a Dryfire/practice gun and a match gun for my USPSA endeavors. Part of me wanted to get the new hottness ( Shadow 2 ) but the more logical part of me decided that I wanted the gun to feel the same in hand, not have to get a new holster, ect which lead me to find a Shadow 1.

First off, I never thought it would be so hard to find a reasonably priced gun in stock when its successor is starting to hit the shelves. When I did find a decent deal on one it was a Duotone. Hadn't seen many so did my usual google fu and several threads said they had been discontinued a while back due to the silver poly coat flaking. This didn't deter me as it is just a game gun, function over form, so I ordered what I assumed was a New Old Stock Shadow....

... I pick it up yesterday and the year stamp is this year. Sooo is CZ just sending limited runs of these in and not moving them off the discontinued list?

Here's the slide with year stamp:

Went ahead and temporarily threw some CZC thin aluminums I had in the parts bin on until I can get some thin LOK grips in.  ( I have midget thumbs and the thin grips make the guns easier to handle)

Ole Faithful will now be my dryfire/practice/backup gun and the Shadow will be my main match gun.

Dryfired for about an hour last night, I definitely appreciate the 85 internals and trigger as well as extended mag release. Probably going to have to pick up a 85 trigger for the SP01. Gun still needs springs, CGW FP, TRS and Pin but she's definitely going to be a good blaster!

Offline Hawker800

Re: Picked up a New Production Shadow 1 Duo Tone
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2017, 02:25:02 PM »
Very nice!

Offline ernie_h

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2017, 09:44:53 AM »
That's a great looking firearm. Perhaps with the newer productions (17) there are no issues with the silver. While I'm not particularly interested in the Shadow 2 (for now), this one looks interesting (did a quick search, they are reasonably available?.for now). Please post a shooting report when you get the chance.

Offline SpazC

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2017, 10:14:37 AM »
Took her out for a quick break in last night. First observation is that she was shooting left ( from a pistol vise) , like my SP01 did from factory. Got that adjusted and we were good to go. I definitely like the 85 series internals over the 75B/SP01 internals. Shorter pull and reset are nice, extended mag release is nice even though the SP01 release gave me no trouble.

With the additional mass of the wider hammer I'm hoping to drop the mainspring weight down considerably. I threw a 15lb spring in that I had and it  is popping cci primers no problem with the factory firing pin. I imagine I can drop to 13# no problem with an extended pin and still not have to switch to federal/winchester.

Other than those observations its exactly like my SP01, which was the goal! She's got 200 rounds down the pipe now, hoping to get another out today while I get used to the reset.

Offline ernie_h

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2017, 12:31:20 PM »
Thanks for the report (and the reply to my pm). There's a few on gunbroker?.DLSupplies has one left as of now if anyone else is interested: http://www.gunbroker.com/item/636469635

Offline aceman4

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2017, 12:46:42 AM »
I picked one up also and it shoots exactly like my Shadow SP-01 Black Polycoat. I figured I needed 1 in both colors. They are both great shooters and will probably sell one once the supply dries up later this year.

Offline cook

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2017, 01:24:42 AM »
I'm interested in the best Trigger I can find in a CZ.  Looking at the Due Tone Shadows it appears to have a different trigger set up.  Can you comment on the DA/SA and travel? 
Thanks,
Pete

anything