Author Topic: Why so many issues with Kadet 2 Kits.....?  (Read 2749 times)

CZ Aficionado

Why so many issues with Kadet 2 Kits.....?
« on: April 09, 2017, 10:07:38 PM »
I'm VERY familiar with the CZ platform....have worked on these guns for years.....they are solid.  Have always wanted a Kadet Kit and finally got one.......my joy and excitement are kinda fading.  I've experienced a couple of the issues folks here have mentioned......mainly the failure of the Kadet slide to feed the first round of a magazine without some 'help".....after the first round is fired the remaining rounds in the mag cycle fine. Secondly, the barrel roll pin slides out.  I don't think they should need fixing right out of the box, they aren't inexpensive and should be much more dependable.  So is CZ just making junk.....errr, unreliable Kadet kits now........never used to see used ones for sale, now there are a lot of used ones out there.......makes me wonder?  ???  On a positive note, the Maglula Kadet Loader I picked up is awesome!!!  :)
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 10:33:04 PM by CZ Aficionado »

Online painter

Re: Why so many issues with Kadet 2 Kits.........?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2017, 06:43:42 AM »
I think that the roll pin issue should be addressed with CZ. This is the second recent report of the pin not fitting tight. There's an easy fix, but it shouldn't be on the consumer.

My Kadet kit has always fed the first round out of the mag with the slide release, whether loaded with 10 or less. I don't know if that's a break-in issue, or a tolerance stacking issue
I had the right to remain silent...

but not the ability.

CZ Aficionado

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2017, 06:09:49 PM »
I think that the roll pin issue should be addressed with CZ. This is the second recent report of the pin not fitting tight. There's an easy fix, but it shouldn't be on the consumer.

My Kadet kit has always fed the first round out of the mag with the slide release, whether loaded with 10 or less. I don't know if that's a break-in issue, or a tolerance stacking issue

As far as the first round not feeding.....I've tried it with just one round in the mag, then 3 rounds, then 5 rounds in several mags all the same outcome.  I thought maybe a break-in issue too but have sent 300 rounds through it....so just a bit disappointed.  The roll pin working its way out, just shouldn't happen.....at all.  I'm not angry about it, just disappointed. I'm not really one to send things in, I'm comfortable enough to figure it out on my own......actually I trust me more than "someone" I don't know telling me everything is "good now", I've seen what various businesses and gunsmiths can do, and in large part I haven't been that impressed.....but then again, I do realize there are some really reliable ones out there too, just not enough  ???

Offline DenStinett

• HALT, Who goes there?
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2017, 08:36:13 PM »
You know, I can't really speak to the problems with the Roll Pin
Sounds like it's eithher a Machining issue;
One or more Holes drilled over sized
Or a batch of out of spec Pins

As for your Failing to Chamber the First Round issue:
I've tried it with just one round in the mag, then 3 rounds, then 5 rounds in several mags all the same outcome
One, or both / all Mags ?   
Just going to throw some junk out there ....
Slide open or closed ?
If open, are you dropping Slide Stop or "Slingshotting" the Slide closed ?
Have you tried chambering with the Slide closed to start, then Slingshotting it ?
With the Slide closed, try pre-cocking the Hammer
So tell me again how Trump will be worse then the last 8 years !

CZ Aficionado

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2017, 10:02:14 PM »
Slide open or closed ?
Have you tried chambering with the Slide closed to start, then Slingshotting it ?

All mags same issue...
Tried with the slide open and closed...
When open I've tried both the slide stop only and slingshotting only...
I did try chambering with the slide closed and then slingshotting it, no difference...
Have not tried with the slide closed and pre-cocking the hammer......this still seems like a work-around for the problem.

I have ordered lighter weight hammer springs, 17# & 18#.....currently running the factory 20# spring. My thinking is/was the added pressure of the 20# spring may be putting a bit too much force on the underside of the Kadet slide via the hammer, hindering the slide moving as freely as it may need to.

I have enough 75's that I'm dedicating this frame to this Kadet exclusively....so once operating properly it'll be a permanent Kadet firearm  :)

I'll post a pic of it in the near future......its kinda neat/unique looking
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 10:14:51 PM by CZ Aficionado »

Offline DenStinett

• HALT, Who goes there?
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2017, 11:16:07 PM »
CZA:
I run my KADET on my B-SA Frame
It has its Stock Hammer Spring and runs 100% on Federal Bulk
But it didn't seem to like CCI MiniMag
So tell me again how Trump will be worse then the last 8 years !

CZ Aficionado

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2017, 11:30:59 PM »
CZA:
I run my KADET on my B-SA Frame
It has its Stock Hammer Spring and runs 100% on Federal Bulk
But it didn't seem to like CCI MiniMag

Interestingly enough I ran CCI through it....It ran/cycled fine after the first round got chambered....that's another area to look at I suppose, I have some other .22 brands I can try.....appreciate the feedback

Online Peacetilence

• CZ 75B, PCR, 97BD and Scorpion EVO3. Fun :)
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2017, 02:45:49 AM »
All mags same issue...
Same here. It does seem to have gotten a bit better after now 600 or so rounds. I'm thinking it's the mag springs being new. Leaving the mags loaded for a couple days may help.

I have ordered lighter weight hammer springs, 17# & 18#.....currently running the factory 20# spring. My thinking is/was the added pressure of the 20# spring may be putting a bit too much force on the underside of the Kadet slide via the hammer, hindering the slide moving as freely as it may need to.
I'm running a 15# spring...

As for the barrel roll pin -- I took the barrel out (when replacing the rear sight) and found the pin was crushed on one end, looked like someone put pliers to it trying to make it easier to start. I ordered one from CZ ($2) and installed it, no walking out so far.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 02:33:24 PM by Peacetilence »

Online painter

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2017, 06:32:57 AM »

As far as the first round not feeding.....I've tried it with just one round in the mag, then 3 rounds, then 5 rounds in several mags all the same outcome.  I thought maybe a break-in issue too but have sent 300 rounds through it....so just a bit disappointed.  The roll pin working its way out, just shouldn't happen.....at all.  I'm not angry about it, just disappointed. I'm not really one to send things in, I'm comfortable enough to figure it out on my own......actually I trust me more than "someone" I don't know telling me everything is "good now", I've seen what various businesses and gunsmiths can do, and in large part I haven't been that impressed.....but then again, I do realize there are some really reliable ones out there too, just not enough  ???

A new pin would be the first thing to try. You might find one at a local hardware supplier...3x12mm
I had the right to remain silent...

but not the ability.

Offline Pilot1

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2017, 07:11:24 AM »

Lighter weight main spring (hammer spring) will lead to unreliable ignition of .22LR.  Stick with the factory original.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 03:03:58 PM by Pilot1 »

Offline rhart

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2017, 07:52:40 AM »
The only issue my Kadet 2 kit has ever really had has been with the ejector and I fixed that using information found on this forum (re-profiling the ejector). Any other issues have been operator error - letting my thumb rub the slide leads to ejection problems and my thumb riding the slide stop prevents last round lock-back. I did have ignition issues using a lighter hammer spring, but like you I put it on a dedicated frame with a stock spring and now no issues.

CZ Aficionado

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2017, 02:22:16 PM »
Here is the pic I promised.......

Appreciate all the info......keep the suggestions coming  :)

Offline rhart

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2017, 02:24:30 PM »
Looks sharp!

Offline rhart

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2017, 02:33:38 PM »
Slide open or closed ?

All mags same issue...
Tried with the slide open and closed...
When open I've tried both the slide stop only and slingshotting only...
I did try chambering with the slide closed and then slingshotting it, no difference...
Have not tried with the slide closed and pre-cocking the hammer......this still seems like a work-around for the problem.

I have enough 75's that I'm dedicating this frame to this Kadet exclusively....so once operating properly it'll be a permanent Kadet firearm  :)

I'll post a pic of it in the near future......its kinda neat/unique looking

You know I was just thinking (can be dangerous), but if anyone dry-fired it the chamber can be obstructed ever so slightly by a little bulge. I've got a tool to reshape the chamber on .22s that have this issue - it essentially "swages", for lack of a better term, the chamber and rounds it back up. I usually polish my feed ramps on most guns right away and while I'm at it I polish the inside of the chamber using a felt cylinder to forestall feeding issues on .22s (but polishing won't usually help if the chamber has been distorted through dry-firing). Just some random thoughts that might or might not help.

Offline Pilot1

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2017, 03:07:25 PM »
Here is the pic I promised.......

Appreciate all the info......keep the suggestions coming  :)

Is that a "Transitional" model? 

anything