Author Topic: Why so many issues with Kadet 2 Kits.....?  (Read 9153 times)

CZ Aficionado

Re: Why so many issues with Kadet 2 Kits.........?
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2017, 04:11:59 PM »

Is that a "Transitional" model?

It is a transitional.....here is a different pic.......like I mentioned in an earlier post, this will be a permanent Kadet set up.  I did tear the Kadet down entirely, cleaned--lubed-check for areas of rubbing (there were none)-reassembled-function checked.  The barrel roll pin showed obvious signs of tapering....conclusion, the holes on the Kadet are different sizes on either side of the barrel or the hole in the barrel is smaller than the holes machined into the slide housing and it cinches as the pin is tapped through.....kinda seems more like the first option since the pin is cinched/tapered only on the very end, whichever the case when fired (albeit a fair amount) the pin moves....I will figure out which it is and correct it.  I can live with slingshotting/fully racking the slide on the first round.......if this was a carry gun maybe not so much, but its just a plinker.  Overall, its accurate as all get up, its not what I would call "perfect" functionally, but I suppose the fun factor outweighs the irritants  ;)

« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 08:23:46 PM by CZ Aficionado »

Offline Grizzlie

Re: Why so many issues with Kadet 2 Kits.........? (Picture added Apr 11)
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2017, 04:47:40 PM »
Must have gotten lucky with more. The only failures I've had were :
1. The very first shot taken resulted in a stove-pipe.
2. Failure to lock back after the last round. Might have happened during the range magazine as failure #1

So far, 500 rounds of S&B 22lr and only the two above-mentioned instances

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

'...if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence'

CZ Aficionado

« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2017, 06:11:48 PM »

You know I was just thinking (can be dangerous), but if anyone dry-fired it the chamber can be obstructed ever so slightly by a little bulge. I've got a tool to reshape the chamber on .22s that have this issue - it essentially "swages", for lack of a better term, the chamber and rounds it back up. I usually polish my feed ramps on most guns right away and while I'm at it I polish the inside of the chamber using a felt cylinder to forestall feeding issues on .22s (but polishing won't usually help if the chamber has been distorted through dry-firing). Just some random thoughts that might or might not help.

The slide will hang up "at times" even when no mag and hence no rounds are there to be chambered.......in this case the "intermittent" nature of it is a little perplexing, but a full slingshot/racking type cycling of the action does the same as when there is a round ready to be chambered.....it functions properly.  It's hanging up somewhere apparently, just have to keep at it until I find the reason why..... :-\ 

Any thoughts on it being the slide stop???
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 07:19:30 PM by CZ Aficionado »

Offline Hawker800

Re: Why so many issues with Kadet 2 Kits.........? (Pics added Apr 11)
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2017, 07:01:44 PM »
I've never had a .22 conversion kit that worked very well.

Offline DenStinett

• HALT, Who goes there?
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2017, 03:04:27 PM »

It looks like you're using the Slide Stop from the Transitional
Dumb question number 537 ....
Have you tried using the Slide Stop(s) that came with the KADET Kit ?
So tell me again how Trump was worse then the 8 years before .... AND what's coming after HIM !

Offline cntrydawwwg

Why so many issues with Kadet 2 Kits.........? (Pics added Apr 11)
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2017, 04:30:48 PM »
Also just a thought, my Kadet would sometimes actually drag on my hammer. Enough that if I pulled my slide back slowly ( I know, I usually don't do it slowly), I could get the slide to stay locked back, purely from setting on the hammer. I slowly took the sharp edge off the back of the slide till I stopped seeing and feeling the drag.
   I'll try to get pics tonite. I saw this in a thread somewhere, can't remember where tho
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 08:16:50 PM by cntrydawwwg »
If guns are outlawed.........
 Only outlaws will have guns.

Offline cntrydawwwg

« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2017, 08:26:38 PM »
This is where I beveled a little and polished. Have no idea if this can be attributed to your issues.
If guns are outlawed.........
 Only outlaws will have guns.

CZ Aficionado

« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2017, 10:55:22 PM »

It looks like you're using the Slide Stop from the Transitional
Dumb question number 537 ....
Have you tried using the Slide Stop(s) that came with the KADET Kit ?

The Kadet slide stops were so tight, they were not even an option......the guns original is way more functional.  Thought someone might mention that..... ;D

CZ Aficionado

« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2017, 10:57:44 PM »
Also just a thought, my Kadet would sometimes actually drag on my hammer. Enough that if I pulled my slide back slowly ( I know, I usually don't do it slowly), I could get the slide to stay locked back, purely from setting on the hammer. I slowly took the sharp edge off the back of the slide till I stopped seeing and feeling the drag.
   I'll try to get pics tonite. I saw this in a thread somewhere, can't remember where tho

That's an area I'll take a look at......A combination of little tweaks might fix the big issue  :)

Offline DenStinett

• HALT, Who goes there?
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2017, 02:08:23 AM »
The Kadet slide stops were so tight, they were not even an option......the guns original is way more functional.

Tight ?
How / where are they tight ?
The Slide Stop Spring ?
Against the Slide ?
The reason I ask;
As you asked;
Yes, the Slide could easily be dragging on the Stop
The wrong Slide Stop has been the issue a a lot of KADETS
Too long / short
Too high / low
There are quite a few reasons it could very well be the Slide Stop
So tell me again how Trump was worse then the 8 years before .... AND what's coming after HIM !

CZ Aficionado

« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2017, 05:50:52 PM »
The Kadet slide stops were so tight, they were not even an option......the guns original is way more functional.

Tight ?
How / where are they tight ?
The Slide Stop Spring ?
Against the Slide ?
The reason I ask;
As you asked;
Yes, the Slide could easily be dragging on the Stop
The wrong Slide Stop has been the issue a a lot of KADETS
Too long / short
Too high / low
There are quite a few reasons it could very well be the Slide Stop

I believe it was the Kadet slide stops that were tight against the Kadet's slide.....this is due to the fact that the slide moved much more freely with the original slide stop installed.  I did some research on using the guns original stop and found that many times they do work better than the supplied Kadet stops and mine would be one of those times  :)

As far as the original slide stop causing some hang-ups, I think I'll look into that....the stop is older and in a bit of "used" condition, possibly there are some rough spots to be attended to and finished off with a light polishing if needed......great tip, thanks.  I will update this thread with what I find/did..... 

Offline DenStinett

• HALT, Who goes there?
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2017, 07:05:03 PM »
I did some research on using the guns original stop and found that many times they do work better than the supplied Kadet stops and mine would be one of those times  :)

This is very true
My KADET works great when I use the OEM Slide Stop from my B-SA
I bought a B-SA Slide Stop for my Semi Compact DuoTone Build
And it works best with the KADET Upper, when it is installed on the Stainless Lower
Not even sure I still have the original KADET / .22lr Slide Stop

Try these tests:
Slide (just) the Bolt onto the bare Frame
It should slide into place freely
Then tilt the Pistol, Muzzle up, Muzzle down
The Bolt should move forward and backward freely about 1/4"+/-, but freely
If not, there's an issue with the fit of the Bolt Rails
But, if the Bolt does move freely in the bare Frame; remove the Bolt and install the Slide Stop into the bare Frame
Replace (just) the Bolt again and try the "Tilt Test"
It should move free just as before
If it doen't move free, there is some form of contact between the Bolt and the Slide Stop
You should be able to see where the contact is, with the Pistol as open as it is
Next test, is the same two as above, but with the Main Slide Assembly includes
Basically, install the KADET Upper, but without the Recoil Spring
Try the Tilt Test with, and without the Slide Stop
With and without the Magazine (you'll need a "Dummy Round" or spent Case in the Mag)
If this doesn't find anything, then I'm out of ideas for the moment

CZ Aficionado

« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2017, 11:16:41 PM »

Try these tests:
Slide (just) the Bolt onto the bare Frame
It should slide into place freely

Well I got this far before I ran into an issue......the slide binds slightly in the rail of the gun frame at one point. On the bolt, if you look at the lettering CZ75KADET, from the "Z" through the "A" the Kadet bolt/slide is ever so much wider and binds, I don't have a micrometer, but I'm sure it would show just that. If I giggle the slide sometimes it will go thru almost like it should, probably explains the intermittent nature of some of the issues. So, tomorrow I'll start the process of fitting that bolt/slide to the gun frame and once it functions by itself then try it with the slide stop installed.  Of course I'll give an update  :)
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 09:18:51 PM by CZ Aficionado »

Offline DenStinett

• HALT, Who goes there?
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2017, 11:45:43 PM »
Hey CZA:
Well, sounds like you're moving in the right direction
I feel you already know this .... but I'll say it anyway;
Remember, unless there is obvious irregularities there, never work on the Frame Rails when fitting a Slide

Been meaning to ask;
What became of the Upper from your Transitional ?
I take it, it is also Blued like the Frame

Offline Pilot1

« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2017, 11:24:27 AM »
Were the Kadet Kits designed to work on the Pre-B's? I use my original Kadet Kit (not a Kadet 2) on my 75B and PCR. I tried to insert a Kadet mag into my 1991 Pre-B but it would not fit all the way and I am not going to mod the Pre-B to accept the Kadet mags as I am fine just using it on my other CZ's.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 11:26:01 AM by Pilot1 »