Author Topic: Pistol went missing in the mail  (Read 1980 times)

Offline redbaron

Pistol went missing in the mail
« on: April 12, 2017, 12:39:36 PM »
So I had bought a CZ-75 BD off Gunbroker and yesterday the FedEx tracking said it should be showing up at my FFL. I showed up right when he opened, because I was excited, and I was there when the FedEx guy showed up with the package.

My FFL had a funny look when he picked up the box to open it. He shook it a little, and it didn't make a sound. He checked the top and bottom to see if the box had been tampered with (it didn't look like it had been) and when he finally opened it up, the only thing inside was the newspaper they used as packaging.

I called the seller today, and he said he was sure there was a gun in the box when FedEx picked it up. The FedEx tracker lists the package weight at 2.93 lbs., so I tend to believe him on that. The seller is going to contact my FFL today, not sure what info he'll need.

I'm worried that I might be out the money I paid for the gun, although luckily I paid with credit card so if the seller refuses to refund me, I can always dispute the charge. I'd really don't want this to come back on my FFL since he's the one that signed for the package.

Anybody ever have something like this happen to them? Did you get your gun back, or is it a lost cause?

Offline SlvrDragon50

Re: Pistol went missing in the mail
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2017, 02:00:22 PM »
wtf... that is weird!

Definitely the FFL's fault though since they did not inspect the package upon receipt. I would take a picture of the packaging and ask the seller if that is how they packaged it.

Offline Firemanjones

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2017, 03:02:01 PM »
I know the FFL that I use doesn't open all the packages he receives right away.
Safety First
Living the dream, driving a Fire Engine RETIRED shooting my Guns in FL and the Mountains of NC and visiting family in Mannheim.

Offline DenStinett

• HALT, Who goes there?
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2017, 03:11:15 PM »
I'm sure the Seller sent it insured
If you were there when your FFL Dealer received / opened it, then it's back on FedEx
So tell me again how Trump was worse then the 8 years before .... AND what's coming after HIM !

Offline Jaems

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2017, 04:08:35 PM »
You want to notify ATF immediately.  They are not too happy when a weapon disappears.  They will also make a complete investigation.

Offline redbaron

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2017, 04:30:17 PM »
You want to notify ATF immediately.  They are not too happy when a weapon disappears.  They will also make a complete investigation.

Yeah, the seller mentioned having to report this to the ATF. I'm going to follow up tomorrow after they've had a chance to talk to my FFL and ask them for a refund. I don't want to be out money waiting for an ATF investigation for a pistol I might never see.

Offline PPS1980

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2017, 04:55:28 PM »

What he said.  Either you or the receiving FLL needs to do so immediately.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline Tanners Owner

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2017, 04:56:16 PM »
Wow- fortunately I never had that problem.  Wish you good luck in prompt resolution.  Please keep us informed
Like a midget at a urinal, I'll have to keep on my toes

Offline Grendel

• Administrator
  • 'Live Long, and Prosper'
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2017, 05:02:07 PM »
The loss is nothing to do with you. You have not received what you paid for. All you need to do is request a refund from the seller and/or dispute the charge with your CC company. The people who need to notify the ATF and/or investigate the loss are the seller, the FFL and Fedex. It's their problem, not yours.
Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges - Tacitus

Inter arma enim silent leges - Cicero

I wasn't born in America, but I got here as fast as I could.

Offline DubTap21

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2017, 11:00:27 PM »
Being a former FFL, the receiving FFL does not have to report this because he didn't receive a gun so therefore, he has nothing to report because he was never in possession of it.

The shipping/selling FFL will be the responsible party to report the loss/theft to atf, whom does nothing about it other than to collect the serial number and report it stolen in the federal database in case it ever does turn up so it'll be returned to the rightful owner (which will be the shipping FFL at this point because it hadn't been transferred to you at the time of the theft). 

ATF won't do anything else about it.

Period.

They don't suddenly break out the gear and go out in search of anything.  The national database of stolen firearms is all they'll do.

I doubt you will ever see the gun you are waiting on.  Regardless of who, what, when, or where, it happened because it's not where it's supposed to be.

Hopefully, the seller will refund the charges, if not, file a dispute with the CC company.  I'm going to assume that it was fully insured so the seller at least won't get shafted to eat the cost of the gun.  If not, whoever opted NOT to pay extra for the insurance needs a reality check for taking so much for granted because the world doesn't work like that.
This.

Sent from my SM-N930T using Tapatalk

Offline redbaron

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2017, 09:48:14 AM »
Just got off the phone with the seller and he was really great about the whole thing. Gave me a refund, and we joked about the gremlins in the FedEx shipping department now being well armed. I hope he gets the pistol back, but he said he wasn't holding out hope for anything

Offline recoilguy

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2017, 10:00:23 AM »
Wow, that's a good guy!

RCG
Its easy being a communist in a free country
What's hard is to be free in a communist country

Offline Jaems

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2017, 08:01:13 PM »
ATF won't do anything else about it.

They will be all over it.  They do not like weapons disappearing in the mail.  They will also check everyone who touch the package.   

Offline Pops1911

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2017, 09:46:26 PM »
Now that's the dangest gun story these old eyes have ever read! Whisky Tango Foxtrot is what I thought. Like a magician's trick featuring a disappearing pistol instead of a rabbit in the hat.  Happy for you it will turn out OK.  Would NOT want to be working in FedEx sorting department right about now. [shakes head]  Thanks for the lesson.
If you find yourself in a fair gunfight, your tactics stink!

Offline Heisenberg

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2017, 10:25:31 AM »
Wow, is right!!  I'm glad to hear you had a happy ending to the story, it could have been a nightmare!

anything