Author Topic: CZ 527 7.62x39 - What to check/examine before buying  (Read 1954 times)

Offline Brazos_Jack

CZ 527 7.62x39 - What to check/examine before buying
« on: August 11, 2017, 09:11:39 PM »
I'm starting my search for a CZ 527 in 7.62x39. What are the known issues with this model that I should check for when examining a potential purchase?

As far as specific model, I want a short barrel and a straight "American Style" comb. The American Synthetic Supressor Ready model comes closest. I have no intension of getting a suppressor, but that model checks the most boxes.

Otherwise its a toss up between the 18.5" barrel Carbine with Euro style butt stock and the 21.5" barrel "American" model with straight American style comb.

But regardless of model, what checks can I do when examining one of these rifles to eliminate those that have known issues?

Offline Trblshtr

Re: CZ 527 7.62x39 - What to check/examine before buying
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2017, 11:40:26 AM »
I have the 527M Carbine in 7.62x39 and it has performed well with the exception of the magazines.  The one that came with the rifle and another purchased later both occasionally allow the tip of the bullet to ride too high, causing minor fail-to-feed issues.  I have developed a habit of putting my finger in the action and pushing the tip of the bullet down slightly before chambering the round, which alleviates the issue.  At the bench I use a BobSled single shot adapter purchased from the CZ-USA web store, which is really nice.

The action/barrel on my 527M sits in the stock somewhat skewed so the tip of the stock slightly touches the barrel on the left.  It doesn't seem to affect the accuracy but one of these days I'll probably install pillars and glass bed the recoil lug if for no other reason than to satisfy my low-grade OCD.

I've heard of some that have experienced rough bolts out of the box but most often this resolves itself after working the action a hundred times or so.  My Carbine is nicely accurate with cheap import ammo like Wolf or Tula but shoots lights out (3/4" or less groups at 100 yards) using Hornady 123gr SST loads in the steel cases.

Here are the instructions on how to adjust the single set trigger to your liking. http://cz-usa.com/news/the-cz-single-set-trigger-system/  I don't use the set function much as the long over-travel messes with my follow through but I have the "normal" function tuned so well it's become my favorite trigger, better than any of the after market Timney triggers on my other guns even though the CZ SST has a heavier 2 1/4 pound pull.
Steve

Offline Diamond Jim

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2017, 12:29:19 PM »
"... most often this resolves itself after working the action a hundred times or so."

Or not, no issues with magazines but my 527 in .223 needs the guidance of a thumb on the back of the bolt to function reliably.
If I use the bolt handle as CZ apparently intended, it frequently binds up. Not always but often - maybe 30-40% of the time.
Should it? No.
Has it had the action been cycled "... a hundred times or so."? And more. And lubricated - with every lubricant I have on hand. And polished.
Should CZ fix it? Yes.
Does CZ offer the same support in other countries that customers in the USA enjoy? No.
Is it enough to put me off the brand? No. It is, in every other respect, a superb rifle. Accurate beyond my abilities, exudes quality and, as a bonus, is a very pretty combination of walnut and blued steel. My other CZ rifles function flawlessly.
Sell it? No.
Perfect? Not yet. Maybe it needs a few hundred more rounds through it....
So, before you buy, check the feeding with INERT PRACTICE ROUNDS from the magazine. Do it several times with different numbers of INERT PRACTICE ROUNDS in the magazine.
If it binds up when working the action with the bolt handle - as John Moses Brno intended - then be warned. (Note: any similarity with the name of any person living or dead is unintended and purely coincidental)
We really shouldn't have to guide the bolt with our thumb or to put a finger into the action to re-position the tip of the next cartridge to have reliable function of a pretty pricey rifle (at least here in Aussieland). It's not a bargain basement cheapie.

Offline Brazos_Jack

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2017, 03:47:09 PM »
"So, before you buy, check the feeding with INERT PRACTICE ROUNDS from the magazine. Do it several times with different numbers of INERT PRACTICE ROUNDS in the magazine."

Good idea. I hadn't thought of that. I just ordered some A-Zoom snap caps.

Offline jkingrph

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2017, 04:48:45 PM »
Checking with snap caps is not a bad idea, but remember, many of those are not made so much to check feeding function, but to protect firing pin when dry firing.

Rough, and sometimes binding bolt is to be expected.  In spite of this they are still great little rifles. 

anything