Author Topic: New CZ 527 bolt problem  (Read 7221 times)

Offline wrig456

New CZ 527 bolt problem
« on: April 13, 2017, 10:45:23 AM »
 :'(
I took my new CZ 527 204 cal. to the range the other day.  What a disappointment. When the bolt is pulled back, it just flops around. To push it forward, you must find the center of travel, if it is biased a little off center in binds. With a scope in place its tough to find that sweet spot. When the bolt contacts the cartridge it binds again, lots of wiggling and pounding to get the cartridge to move out of the magazine and into the chamber.  The 4th & 5th rounds out of the magazine are a little easier than the first. 

I also found that the safety would not engage.

Rifle is on its way back to CZ. In 4-6 weeks I will update and let you know if they could make things any better....
As you slide down the banister of life, may
     The splinters never point the wrong way.

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
Re: New CZ 527 bolt problem
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2017, 08:49:36 PM »
Ouch, that's not good! Yes, please, update, thank you.

Offline wrig456

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2017, 06:04:41 PM »
Six weeks to the day I got this reply back form CZ,  "Striker installed upside down, corrected. Inspected, adjusted bottom metal & extractor. Function tested & test fired, good."

Can anyone tell me what the "striker" is and what adjusted bottom metal means??
FedEx should deliver next Tuesday...  Will let you know how it works. 

Offline painter

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2017, 09:51:21 PM »
The striker is the firing pin.
I had the right to remain silent...

but not the ability.

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2017, 12:28:51 AM »
You know something I actually did that once, forgot about it, had the same dadgum issue.

Offline Diamond Jim

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2017, 11:23:30 AM »
Hmmm... "Striker installed upside down..."
I've had a similar experience with a 527 in .223 but was dismissed as a mad man. CZs don't have issues - apparently...
If I work the action with the bolt handle it will bind. If I push on the back of the bolt in line with the action it works every time. Unfortunately that's hard to remember to do every time in the heat of the moment, at 0 degrees, wearing gloves etc., etc.
I've never disassembled my bolt but this might be something to look at.

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2017, 12:45:48 AM »
I broke my bolt down on my 527M some time ago, and reassembled it upside down. It rarely needs that deep of a cleaning, so it's once every couple of years. I had to call CZ and they told me that when the safety won't engage the bolt is upside down. Worked fine other than that.
CZs have as many issues as any other gun - we just don't try to hide them like some other places. ;) We get a lot of beta testing in here, and everyone who has issues brings them right on up.

Offline wrig456

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2017, 04:39:28 PM »
Six weeks to the day I got this reply back form CZ,  "Striker installed upside down, corrected. Inspected, adjusted bottom metal & extractor. Function tested & test fired, good."

Can anyone tell me what the "striker" is and what adjusted bottom metal means??
FedEx should deliver next Tuesday...  Will let you know how it works.

FedEx delivered about an hour ago.  Bolt much smoother now, a couple drops of oil made it even better...  Scope mounted again and ready to go the range this weekend.. :)

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2017, 05:16:26 PM »
Excellent, please keep us updated!

Offline ProtectTheSecond

• His 'n Her 9mm-TS
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2017, 11:26:35 PM »
Nice...
CZ 527 American .223 / His 'n Her (2) CZ 75 TS 9mm / His 'n Her (2) CZ 75 SA 9mm / Kadet Kit

"The Second Amendment ex-tends, prima facie, to all instruments that constitute bearable arms, even those that were not in existence at the time of the founding."  - The United States Supreme Court -[/b

Offline cz75BDShooter

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2017, 07:52:16 PM »
With my CZ 527 (7.62x39), I usually have to push the bolt with the meaty part of the palm ( the portion below the thumb) to successfully chamber the round. If not - like using my thumb and the index finger - nearly always, the bolt will NOT go in but stop/get stuck

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2017, 04:43:45 AM »
How many rounds have you put through it?
wrig456, any update from range time? Work better?

Offline wrig456

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2017, 10:59:23 AM »
I've got 157 rounds through it so far.  It still takes a thump and shove to get that first round into the chamber, Wish it were smoother, definitely not a fast second shot. Accuracy seems to be great. Tried some reloads with 22.5 grns H322 and Hornady 40 gr Vmax and got this result at 50 yards. I'm going to have to find another place to shoot, the range I have volunteered at for the last 7 years shut down last week.  www.joefossrange.com

While I was waiting for CZ to return my rifle, I built a case for it. 
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 11:10:03 AM by wrig456 »

Offline jkingrph

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2017, 09:54:16 PM »
Got my little 527 in 6.5 Grendel today.  Lovely rifle but as I expected the bolt is (was) rough as a cobb.  I did some examining, and looking down , just behind the rear bridge or scope mount there is a long milled surface where the bolt handle root strikes when the bolt is opened, and slides reward against this surface, which had some rough mill marks and one burr.  A few minutes with a very fine ceramic stone smoothed the surface.  Not enough stoning to remove all the blueing, just smoothing the surface mad a tremendous difference in the smoothness in retracting the bolt and returning it to battery.  I cycled the bolt probably 200-300 times lubricating with some Mobil 1 with some suspended HBN(hexagonal boron nitride) powder, which is a very slick white powder lubricant and that helped also.   Now to get it to the range in a couple of days.

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2017, 03:58:44 AM »
I have been REALLY tempted to switch mine to 6.5 Grendel...really....