Author Topic: New CZ 527 bolt problem  (Read 7162 times)

Offline jkingrph

Re: New CZ 527 bolt problem
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2017, 11:33:34 AM »
I have had a 527 Prestige in 22 Hornet for some years now.  It is supposed to have a better polish and blue, debatable, a jeweled bolt, and "better wood", mine is rather plain.  I would really like a full stock in 22 Hornet, or possibly 6.5 Grendel.  I thought about getting a 7.62 carbine and converting, but just did not care for the stubby look of the stock.  I like long barrel guns and the Grendel American with the 24" barrel.  One of my favorite rifles is a 1929 Vintage Husqvarna Mauser in 9.3x57 that sports a 26" barrel and express type sight.

I just received my Grendle Monday, and planned on going to the range today, but it looks like possible rain and the range is 50 miles one way, so will wait until Friday and see what chances are.  If nothing else this will give me time to get out and bore sight it.  I had found a nice Leupold Vx3i in 3.5x10 and mounted it.  The scope is on the large end of what I would want on a little rifle like this, but not overwhelming, and  optically looks great.  I found it on ebay from a legitimate vendor at a very good price and have had the scope for almost six months waiting for the rifle. I spent a bit of time on the fourth smoothing the action and adjusting the trigger.  Biggest problem I had was getting the magazine release catch spring properly engaged.  I am looking forward to my upcoming range trip.

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2017, 11:31:06 PM »
So are we - pictures are required, of course.  ;)

Offline JAKELEG

« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2017, 03:20:47 PM »
Thinking of buying a 527 Varmint in .223...am I in for some issues with the bolt etc.
Should I wait ??
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." — J.B. Books in "The Shootist" (1976)
[John Wayne]

Offline jkingrph

« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2017, 10:04:27 PM »
Thinking of buying a 527 Varmint in .223...am I in for some issues with the bolt etc.
Should I wait ??

Should you wait?  Probably not, all the issues mentioned are fairly common and I saw them with all three of my CZ rifles, the two little 527's and my big 550 Safari.  Cycling the action a lot helped as did as breaking all the sharp edges on the locking lugs where they ride in the raceways.   

The actions could probably be made much smoother from the factory, but it would involve redesign and a cost increase.  I just looked at a couple of other rifles, much older designs,  First was my Swedish Mauser which has a guide that rests under the extractor and comes into play when the bolt is opened.  There is a slot inside the top of the rear receiver ring that allows it to move through. It prevents side to side and some upward bolt play, making the action very smooth.  Next is my pre 64 Win 70 which has a lug on the side of the bolt, about mid body that rotates into the left hand raceway (right hand action) and again prevents up down, sideways movement, preventing any binding.  It is probably simpler from a manufacturing standpoint than the Mauser, but gets the job done.    The CZ bolt is rather straightforward, basically a rod with locking lugs on the front, which are basically a "pivot point" where given the absence of anything else to prevent side to side or up down motion of the rod, will allow it to bid in the receiver which is basically a cylinder with a couple of grooves for the locking lugs to ride back in.  Maybe if tolerances, ie, clearances between bolt body and receiver were closer there might be less room to rock the bolt side to side, ect, and cause binding.

After cycling a few hundred times it really smooths up a lot.

Offline JAKELEG

« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2017, 08:33:11 PM »
I get it......
Something like the two rifles I had many years ago.
Mauser 98 8mm....bolt smooth as silk. A work of art.
Springfield '03-A3 30-06... ratchety-clank of the bolt fit.
Both shot very well.......slight edge to the '03.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." — J.B. Books in "The Shootist" (1976)
[John Wayne]

Offline jkingrph

« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2017, 09:17:33 PM »
Never had a Springfiled, but probably similar situation.  Even though my CZ bolts would bind early in their life, they never really jammed.  It also helps to work them briskly.

anything