Author Topic: Rami BD night sights  (Read 2774 times)

Offline lewmed

• 135th & 240th AHC Vietnam 1967-1968
Rami BD night sights
« on: April 14, 2017, 02:21:47 PM »
I've had my new Rami BD for 2 week and have fired a little over 600 rounds of 124gr gold dots and several types and weights of FMJ ammo.  I love this pistol it feels right in my hand and is very accurate out to 25 yards. Now for the bad news at about 550 rounds the front sight lost it's glow it just died.
I talked with the good folks at CZ and they want me to send them my slide so they can replace the sight.  Well the Fed Ex truck is pulling away with my Rami it's going to be a long couple weeks.

Offline Tok36

Re: Rami BD night sights
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2017, 02:24:08 PM »
Bummer, hopefully the turn around will be faster. I had to ship my entire 97BD back once, CZ had it back to me in 10 days.
Will work for CZ pics! (including but not limited to all CZ clones)

Offline MeatAxe

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2017, 01:08:46 AM »
I've had my new Rami BD for 2 week and have fired a little over 600 rounds of 124gr gold dots and several types and weights of FMJ ammo.  I love this pistol it feels right in my hand and is very accurate out to 25 yards. Now for the bad news at about 550 rounds the front sight lost it's glow it just died.
I talked with the good folks at CZ and they want me to send them my slide so they can replace the sight.  Well the Fed Ex truck is pulling away with my Rami it's going to be a long couple weeks.

The Rami night sights are made by Meprolite and they basically suck balls.

I have had many Meprolite sights go dead in one or more tritium vials. The sights themselves are made of really cheap, soft metal and gets nicked up pretty easily and have had them get bent or broken on other guns when trying to install them. In a word, they just plain SUCK.

I've found Trijicons to be of MUCH better quality across the board with longer lasting tritium inserts. Unfortunately, Trijicon does not make night sights specifically for the Rami, although you could use a standard CZ75 rear sight (fits the rear dovetail though doesn't extend back as far) and a Novak type front sight (the Rami uses a Novak-cut front dovetail).

Also, CZ Custom sells Trijicon Tactical rear night sights for the CZ 75 that are not shown on the Trijicon website. These should work, too, and move the tritium vials farther back. However, for some strange reason, the RAMI has a step down on the rear of its slide under the sight, so if you used the standard 75 Tactical sight, there'd be a gap between the bottom of the sight and the rear-most top of the slide. Not a big deal, I wouldn't think.

https://czcustom.com/cz-parts-all/front-and-rear-sights/rear-sights.html?

ETA: The Shadow Tactical rear night sight might fit on a RAMI, as it also requires a step down at the rear of the slide.

Various CZ75 rear sight dovetail profiles: http://www.czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=78992.msg580299#msg580299
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 03:26:36 AM by MeatAxe »

Offline leo61651

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2017, 09:12:47 PM »
I think MeatAxe is saying Meprolite sights are not very good. lol
I have little or no experience/exposure to Meprolite sights as I use Trijicon's or XS night sights on all my guns except my Coonan compact which has Kensights and they use Trijicon's tritium inserts and seem fine.
“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
James "Mad Dog" Mattis

Offline MeatAxe

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2017, 01:54:21 AM »
I think MeatAxe is saying Meprolite sights are not very good. lol
I have little or no experience/exposure to Meprolite sights as I use Trijicon's or XS night sights on all my guns except my Coonan compact which has Kensights and they use Trijicon's tritium inserts and seem fine.

LOL yeah, you can say that again.

Another problem I've had with Meprolite sights (particularly on SIGs) is that the base metal is so soft and malleable, that you can only adjust for windage in the dovetail a limited number of times or maybe just once. Say that you install the rear sight from left to right. Then, say that you have to adjust windage by moving the sight to the left, that sight dovetail may have deformed so much that it simply falls out of the slide dovetail.

Or if you aren't extremely careful and lined up perfectly, the sight will twist laterally at an angle within the dovetail as you try to install or adjust for windage (this using a MGW sight pusher). That's how bleeped soft the Meprolite base metal is.

Buyer beware.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 01:57:28 AM by MeatAxe »

Offline longgonedaddy

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2017, 08:21:39 PM »
They really do leave a lot to be desired.

Offline lewmed

• 135th & 240th AHC Vietnam 1967-1968
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2017, 01:10:44 PM »
Service from CZ USA is A++++ I got a email today saying my night sights have been replaced and my slide was shipped FedEx this morning.  Tracking shows they got the slide last Tuesday and I should have it back tomorrow that's 7 days I call that great service.