Author Topic: CZ 75B Omega Urban Grey - strange ridges/bumps on inside of frame rails?  (Read 357 times)

Offline ptrthgr8

Hi, all.

New to the forum. Took my CZ 75B Omega Urban Grey out for the first time last weekend.  I had spent time with it prior to shooting (got it over the winter) disassembling and reassembling to get accustomed to the ins and outs, etc. (This is my first 75, but I've got another couple of dozen pistols in the collection.) The pistol seems to be very well made and everything looked great.

Field stripped the pistol today to clean it and I immediately noticed these strange ridges/bumps on inside of the frame, like something had been banging around inside the gun while firing. The slide still glides like silk, so there doesn't appear to be any damage to the rails, etc. And while shooting it everything seemed to function just fine. (200 rounds unsuppressed, another 100 rounds suppressed.)

The dings were definitely not there before shooting it the first time. All I can think is that the short recoil rod was allowing the recoil spring to bounce around inside the frame? Nothing else seems to be damaged and everything functions fine otherwise.

Is this a known issue with CZs or is there something wrong with this pistol?

I'm sure photos would be helpful... I'll try to remember to snap some photos tomorrow.

Cheers,

Greg

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge

Offline krehmkej

Welcome to the club.

We really need to see image(s) of the damage(?) to assess what's happened.
-jwk-

Offline ptrthgr8

Hey, sorry it took so long to *finally* get some photos. Work has been crazy this week.

Anyhow, here's what I was trying to describe. I looked at it closely while taking the photos and it seems like the scalloping/chatter on the frame rails couldn't have been caused by the recoil spring bouncing around since the rails on the slide, being full length, would have covered that entire area the whole time.  It's weird. The scalloping/chatter marks are definitely rough/bumpy - they feel like braille or something. But when working the slide back and forth, even with the recoil spring not installed, everything feels nice and smooth. And there doesn't seem to be any unusual wear along the rails on the slide at all.

So, is this sort of thing normal with these pistols? Or if not, is there any reason to be concerned?

Thanks in advance!

~ Greg ~

Online M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
That almost looks like bumps in the finish (paint? cerakote? polycoat?) more than chips or worn spots.
Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.  So, if you see me walking the dogs with my SIG 556R, its okay.

Offline ptrthgr8

That almost looks like bumps in the finish (paint? cerakote? polycoat?) more than chips or worn spots.
Okay, yeah. I can see that, I suppose. But what would cause something like that? It definitely wasn't there before shooting,   then after the first range session, there it is. Is it a bad finish job?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge

Online Joe L

I think what you are seeing is finish overcoat that will wear off with a few more rounds.  It is just very visible on your pistol due to the color.  I wouldn't worry about it unless it starts chipping visibly on  the outside surfaces when the gun is assembled.   Perhaps when it was new, it was covered over by the factory grease and you didn't notice it?  That would be my bet.  I sure wouldn't have noticed it. 

Joe
CZ-75B 9mm and Kadet, several SIG P226's, AR-15, Savage 308 bolt gun,

Offline ptrthgr8

Perhaps when it was new, it was covered over by the factory grease and you didn't notice it?  That would be my bet.  I sure wouldn't have noticed it.

Hey, Joe.  No, it wouldn't have been covered by factory grease - I completely disassembled and cleaned the gun when I first got it, prior to shooting, since that's my standard process. I like to get familiar with newly acquired guns, make sure nothing's broken/damaged inside and out, clean any residual fouling from factory testing, relube to make sure everything's good to go, etc. The scallops/chatter marks were definitely not there prior to this first shooting session (I'm so confident of that I would gladly bet my house on it), but were immediately noticeable when I disassembled it last weekend.

It doesn't seem to be causing any issues with fit or function, so I'll just keep an eye on it and if it worsens I'll reach out to CZ directly.

Thanks!

Online Joe L

Okay, thanks for the clarification.  I just don't know what to expect with that finish.  I've seen some horrible CZ polycoat finishes...but the gun is good for less than 1-1/2" groups at 50 yards so I don't care.   :) :)

All I can think of is that the color changed after the slide got hot for the first time. 

Joe
CZ-75B 9mm and Kadet, several SIG P226's, AR-15, Savage 308 bolt gun,

Offline hollowpoint2003

Rest easy.  Mine, from the 2016 run, was the exact same way.  It's just a little rough finish in the polycoat.  Keep shooting and it will smooth out over time.

Offline ptrthgr8

Rest easy.  Mine, from the 2016 run, was the exact same way.  It's just a little rough finish in the polycoat.  Keep shooting and it will smooth out over time.

Then I shall indeed rest easy. Mine was picked up 12/1/2016, so I'm sure they're from the same run.

Thanks!

Online Tok36

Definitely polycote drips. Good pics, the finish inconsistencys really do show up more in that color.
Will work for CZ pics! (including but not limited to all CZ clones)

Offline ptrthgr8

Definitely polycote drips. Good pics, the finish inconsistencys really do show up more in that color.

Would shooting it suppressed have exasperated the issue?  I.e. more blowback, heat, etc. getting in there and gooing the finish up to make it rough like that?  Like I've said a couple of times, that roughness definitely wasn't there before I shot it.

Online Tok36

I have seen similar stuff in many CZ frames. In the cases i saw in person it was a product of the factory finishing. I have never heard of polycoat melting regardless of the pistols setup or use but that dose not mean it cannot happen. If you had not been clear about it only showing up after you put rounds through it a really would have assumed that you just did not notice it until after you shot it. It looks just like what you might see rite out of the factory.

Given the situation it may be worth while to shoot it a bunch and then remove the slide while it is still hot so you can take look. If you do have a unique situation this would be a good time to try to observe it.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 04:39:41 PM by Tok36 »
Will work for CZ pics! (including but not limited to all CZ clones)