Author Topic: How are cz rifles?  (Read 1766 times)

Offline Masonread318

How are cz rifles?
« on: April 17, 2017, 03:10:53 AM »
Are cz rifles worth buying?  I have a 97 I'will be putting up on the classifieds when I hit my 25. I'd like to get a 527 I'm either 17 hornet or 22 hornet. I honestly want the 17 but I can hunt deer with a 22 hornet in my state. I have a crippling arthritis and am having to step down to smaller calibers due to being recoil sensitive now. I'm not too happy about it but it is what it is. My 97 is honestly too big for me, and I don't want to be forced into having to spend a lot of money to get it where I want it. I went out on disability and it's a little too pricy for me to shoot anyway now. So I want to check out the smaller caliber guns. Cz seems to be the only ones I like for those 2 calibers. I really don't like the way a savage 25 feels.

Offline rdcinhou

• Coat of Arms for Uherský Brod
Re: How are cz rifles?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2017, 06:28:40 AM »
I have two CZ rifles...a 452 in .17 HMR and a 550 in .308 Win.

CZ rifles have a good reputation overall.  From the information on the CZ-USA website the 527 is one of the most popular versions.

Searching the forum for anything on the 527 in .22 Hornet, I only found one post:  http://www.czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=87983.msg662486;topicseen#msg662486

You might want to send a PM (private message)  or email to that user with your questions.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 06:30:48 AM by rdcinhou »
CZ 24, CZ 27, CZ 38, CZ 45, CZ 52, Vzor 70, CZ75BΩ, CZ75D PCR Compact, CZ 75 P07 Duty, CZ75 SP-01 Phantom, CZ P09 DUTY, P10C, CZ 82, CZ 83, CZ 97BE, CZ 452 American. CZ 550 UCS (Urban Counter Sniper), CZ 805 Bren, DUO  & Z

Offline Masonread318

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2017, 05:29:07 PM »
Thank You. I had the chance to buy a 455 fs and a Dan wesson 22 at the same time. I kick myself all the time for not buying both. I bought a 97 instead.

Offline rdcinhou

• Coat of Arms for Uherský Brod
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2017, 06:14:23 PM »
Thank You. I had the chance to buy a 455 fs and a Dan wesson 22 at the same time. I kick myself all the time for not buying both. I bought a 97 instead.

Still a good choice, my "cajunized" CZ97BE is a joy to shoot.
But since you mentioned arthritis causing problems, I can understand why you would feel the need to change.
CZ 24, CZ 27, CZ 38, CZ 45, CZ 52, Vzor 70, CZ75BΩ, CZ75D PCR Compact, CZ 75 P07 Duty, CZ75 SP-01 Phantom, CZ P09 DUTY, P10C, CZ 82, CZ 83, CZ 97BE, CZ 452 American. CZ 550 UCS (Urban Counter Sniper), CZ 805 Bren, DUO  & Z

Offline jkingrph

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2017, 07:58:04 PM »
I have a 527 in 22 Hornet and it's a sweetheart to shoot, no recoil, well barely noticeable.  Ammo is fairly expensive and not easy to find.  Personally if you are recoil sensitive, I would consider one in .223, recoil is a little more than the Hornet, but not a lot.  I do have another 527 on order in 6.5 Grendel and am thinking it will be nice.  Much more powerful than either of those other two calibers, but still mild in the recoil dept.

My other CZ is a 550 Safari American in .375 H&H  and honestly it is so big and heavy, and the buttstock wide enough that recoil is rather mild,  much less than a couple of sporter 30-06's I have and some 7.5mm Swiss K-31 rifles.

Offline Masonread318

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2017, 08:22:26 PM »
223 and 243 pushes my limits for pain. I can handle them still but I don't want to pull the trigger. I've developed a bad flince. It's hard to admit but the sudden jolt hurts pretty bad. I have a mini 14 and it takes a lot of the recoil out. I can shoot it a fair amount but the accuracy flat out sucks. It's an older model so there you go. I wished I knew someone who would let me shoot there hornets. But no one around me has a cz

Offline viking499

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2017, 09:08:17 PM »
CZ makes good rifles.  I have a .204 that is a laser with almost no recoil.  I can pull the trigger and watch the impact through the scope.  Ammo is also pretty easy to find.

Offline Masonread318

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2017, 10:24:08 PM »
I've been very curious about the 204. The only issue I have is using it for deer. Louisiana, you can't use anything smaller than a 22 caliber. That's the main reason for wanting a 22 hornet. Otherwise I would definitely be open to a 204 and more so to the 17.
So the 204 has no recoil?  I mainly shoot for fun and coyotes. So the 204 isn't completely off my list. I want shooting to be fun again.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk

Offline viking499

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2017, 10:36:29 PM »
I wouldn't say no recoil, but very minor.  As said, I can keep my critter in the scope after I pull the trigger and watch the hit.......or miss through the scope.

Offline Zeebz

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2017, 01:19:32 AM »
CZ makes excellent rifles.  Their rimfires are usually compared to high-end rimfires like Anschutz, Sako, and Browning T-Bolts.  Their centerfire rifles are usually compared to things like Sako and Weatherby. 

CZ's quality is absolutely exceptional for the price bracket that they sit in.  Their 550 series of rifles are priced to compete against guns like the Winchester Model 70, Browning X-Bolt, Tikka T3X, Savage 116, etc.  Their quality sits a realm above, though.  In terms of quality, I'd be more apt to put them in the bracket with the entry level Weatherby Mark Vs and the Sako A7s.

Their rimfires are priced to compete against Savage, Ruger, etc., but again in regards to quality they are more along the lines of an Anschutz, Sako, or Browning T-Bolt.  Czech labor is cheap, but CZ uses really high quality materials and workmanship to build their firearms.  You combine those and you get an absolute steal in terms of quality of gun for the money.  Same reason why you see some of their beast rifles like the Safari Magnums in .458 Lott, 416 Rigby, 375 H&H, etc., for just barely over $1000.  They're built like tanks, but the labor to make them is cheap.

The only other comparable rifles overbuilt for high calibers near their price range is the Weatherby Vanguard which is made using the reliable and overbuilt Howa actions.  You can get them in 375 H&H and 300 Weatherby Magnum for like $700.

Offline Masonread318

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2017, 11:28:08 PM »
Thanks. I appreciate the input.

Offline Diamond Jim

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2017, 12:46:07 PM »
My 2c worth. I love all my CZs and wouldn't hesitate to buy one in .22Hornet if that's in your comfort zone and meets your hunting requirements you'll love it. A word of caution though. CZs are solidly built rifles and have a degree of weight to them. I have two in varmint profile (452 in .22LR and 527 in .223) that I would not recommend if I had to pack any distance (although the extra weight does reduce felt recoil) and one sporter (in .270W so it doesn't enter into this debate) which is still a hefty rifle. All mine are walnut stocks.
Quality, accuracy and value are great.
Also consider .222 and .223 - if you reload you can get down to Hornet velocities/recoil very easily and these calibres are renowned for accuracy more so than the venerable Hornet. I understand that reduced velocity factory loads for the .223 are available in the USA. Factory ammunition for the Hornet is very expensive - at least here in Australia.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 05:11:30 AM by Diamond Jim »
"Aw, it was only a Tasmanian beer atom." - Yahoo Serious, Young Einstein

Offline ARodPDT117

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2017, 01:54:16 PM »
As Viking said you can look into the 204 also. Recoil is extremely limited and will provide a better hunting bullet for you. My buddy worked on an air force base for about 3 years with WYO feds and one of his duties was to keep the antelope herd in check. That's all they used was a 204, headshots and hearts. Worked like a charm

Offline jkingrph

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2017, 05:00:37 PM »
If you potentially want to hunt deer, I would go ahead with a Hornet,  I am not saying that there is no recoil, but honestly it is so minor I have never noticed it.  I also have a Ruger #1b in 22 Hornet and it's about like a lightweight .22 LR rifle, with a big 20x scope on it I can sit at a benchrest, shoot and watch the hole appear in a target.

Ammo is not the cheapest thing but not bad. I reloade but have not been feeling like doing it, so ordered 250 rounds, at just under $20 per box of 50, plus shipping.

Offline Masonread318

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2017, 11:25:17 PM »
I shoot in my yard and dont walk too far to hunt. Weight isnt an issue to me. I actually prefer more weight. I shake a lot and it helps manage  that pretty well. I can hold a light gun and couldnt hit anything reliably without a rest. If i shoot my heavy ones i can knock a tick off a dogs but at 100 yards. I am a huge rimfire guy and have at least 16 ( heck ive lost count)  im more than decent with those. I teach my kids to shoot a live oak acorn off of an empty water bottle with open sights, i also use dish soap bottles and shoot the top off. Thats not easy.  I snake hunt a lot down creeks and head shots are a must. That's actually a fun hobby.

I'm not too worried about the price of ammo. I don't reload and don't plan on shooting boxes at a time. I go shoot my bigger rifles every few months but only shoot enough to make sure i can still hit a target with them.
I did go shoot the 97b yesterday and i guess i don't give myself enough credit. I covered them up with my hand at 20 steps. Except i pulled 2 shots that were off by a long shot. I flinched. Dang it. I don't shoot as much as i used to because i do that now. I can't seem to shake it.

I'm open to suggestions on any of this. I'm also open to trying different calibers. Surely someone i know will have a caliber i haven't tried