Author Topic: FN 509...  (Read 17667 times)

Offline SlvrDragon50

Re: FN 509...
« Reply #60 on: May 08, 2017, 06:38:57 PM »
Just shot the APX... I'll be very surprised if the 509 and P10C shoot better!

Offline RockSemiAuto

« Reply #61 on: May 20, 2017, 04:43:54 PM »
Finally got to handle a 509 today - very nice. The fit, finish, grip, magazine, almost everything was perfect. As for the trigger: it's not as good as a stock Glock but better than a S&W. Not a whole lot of take-up but the travel was plastic rubbing feeling (if that makes sense), the break was crisp, didn't notice any overtravel, reset was short but again with the plastic rubbing feeling. If the trigger will wear-in with use and smooth out the 509 could be a solid option.

I went to Cabela's yesterday and they had the 509 in stock. I had no intention of buying one but as soon as I held it I knew it was coming home with me. The gun feels great in the hand and definitely feels better than the FN9. It has a low bore axis and I really dig the new grip texturing. I also like the steel luminescent sights. The soft case that comes with it is very nice but I would rather have 3 mags than 2 with the case. As far as people complaining about the trigger, go check out some YouTube reviews. They pretty much all say the trigger really improves after some rounds through the gun. I will still be getting P-10c but the FN 509 is impressive and worth a look. Can't wait to get it over to my property and burn some rounds through it. I hope it shoots as good as it feels and looks, I am sure it will.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 04:47:06 PM by RockSemiAuto »

Offline villdetwink

« Reply #62 on: May 22, 2017, 07:24:08 PM »
Finally got to handle a 509 today - very nice. The fit, finish, grip, magazine, almost everything was perfect. As for the trigger: it's not as good as a stock Glock but better than a S&W. Not a whole lot of take-up but the travel was plastic rubbing feeling (if that makes sense), the break was crisp, didn't notice any overtravel, reset was short but again with the plastic rubbing feeling. If the trigger will wear-in with use and smooth out the 509 could be a solid option.
I went to Cabela's yesterday and they had the 509 in stock. I had no intention of buying one but as soon as I held it I knew it was coming home with me. The gun feels great in the hand and definitely feels better than the FN9. It has a low bore axis and I really dig the new grip texturing. I also like the steel luminescent sights. The soft case that comes with it is very nice but I would rather have 3 mags than 2 with the case. As far as people complaining about the trigger, go check out some YouTube reviews. They pretty much all say the trigger really improves after some rounds through the gun. I will still be getting P-10c but the FN 509 is impressive and worth a look. Can't wait to get it over to my property and burn some rounds through it. I hope it shoots as good as it feels and looks, I am sure it will.

Excellent Congrats on your acquisition!
The FN triggers do get better with use, I have about 750rds through my FNS9 and it feels pretty good...not awesome, but much better than some out there.
My only gripe with the FNS line is the thin barrel, which leads to the take down lever and slide getting very hot very quickly when firing rapidly.
I have read that they seem to have improved upon this gripe with the FN 509, I would be interested in hearing your feedback.

I had been waiting for both the FN 509 and P10C to show up locally before I bought either one...
But, I happened to be on gunbroker today and saw a P10C listed for a decent non-inflated price so I jumped on it.

Offline dondavis3

• YourCorvette.com
« Reply #63 on: May 23, 2017, 09:08:04 PM »
I've bought the new CZ P-10c but have not received it yet.

I too found mine on Gun Broker at a price that I was willing to pay.

I also own the FN 509 - the 509 is a remarkable gun.

Here's a good review on You Tube

It feels great in the hand is reliable and is accurate as can be.

My trigger was very gritty, but has smoothed out as I've shot the gun.

If you see one at the range - you should shoot it - I'll bet you'll like it.

« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 07:44:04 AM by dondavis3 »
CZ 75 Compact Satin Nickel 9mm
CZ 85 Combat Satin Nickel 9mm
CZ 2075 RAMI P  9mm
CZ 75 P-07 Duty
CZ 75 P-09 Duty
CZ P-10 C

Offline apeaks24

« Reply #64 on: June 03, 2017, 09:52:46 PM »

This one has caught my eye. I have 2 P10c's already but I keep watching that 509. Will put Apex trigger on it if I get it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline SlvrDragon50

« Reply #65 on: June 13, 2017, 04:41:36 PM »
My range just got a 509 in so I'll be testing it this week!

Offline ericskeith5

« Reply #66 on: June 15, 2017, 01:02:00 PM »

This one has caught my eye. I have 2 P10c's already but I keep watching that 509. Will put Apex trigger on it if I get it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Serious (not attacking) question... How do you decide to get 2 of the same gun? Do you mod one and leave the other production? Just wondering since they are so new. Thanks.

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

Offline SlvrDragon50

« Reply #67 on: June 15, 2017, 07:45:57 PM »
Shot the 509. It was kinda lackluster. Better than  a glock I think, but the trigger was not smooth at all. I know it's a different size htan the APX, but the price of the 509 is not worth it, and the APX blows away the 509.

Just need to try a P10C now.

Offline eastman

« Reply #68 on: June 15, 2017, 09:10:34 PM »
... How do you decide to get 2 of the same gun? Do you mod one and leave the other production? Just wondering since they are so new. Thanks.

The P-10c does come in two colors, so of course you need two.
I don't look like my avatar!

Offline Cyanide

FN 509...
« Reply #69 on: June 15, 2017, 09:23:15 PM »
I finally got a chance to handle a Beretta APX and an FN 509. To say the least I was not impressed with the 509 at all, just seemed like an FNS with a thicker slide, different grip texture, and the same old gritty trigger. Between that and the compact size slide and barrel sitting atop a full-size grip reminds me of why I got rid of both of my FNS-9's a while back. They just really didn't do anything for me, which is why I tried two separate pistols.

The APX on the other hand, I will just say that Beretta needs to hurry up and make that in a compact model! The grip reminded me a lot of my CZ 100, that being very ergonomic and comfortable, as were the unorthodox, yet effective slide serrations. The slide itself is blocky, and maybe it was just the model I was looking at, but the trigger reset was very faint, almost like how bad the earlier M&P's were. The trigger pull itself however, was very nice with minimal take up slack and a nice, crisp break.

Still need to get my hands on a P10 C. Maybe one of these years?

Offline bunk22

« Reply #70 on: June 16, 2017, 08:52:01 AM »
Held and dry fired the APX, P10c and 509.  Just purchased the P10c and put the APX on layaway.  I am not a fan of FN handguns, but one, my FNX 45 Tactical.  As far as trigger feel, I would rate them P10c, 509 then APX but ergos go to the APX.  I love the serrations on the Berreta, they just work.  But the trigger on the CZ was it for me.
CZ P10C
Glock's, Sig's, HK's, Walther's, etc, etc
DD, Sig, SOLGW, Colt, Del-Ton, etc, etc

Offline Joe L

« Reply #71 on: June 17, 2017, 12:42:46 PM »
I haven't even seen, much less held the other two pistols, but I am very happy with the P-10C after 500+ rounds.  None of these pistols are going to fit my hands very well out of the box, so I would have to Sugru/JB-Weld any of them before shooting them critically.  This is why I can't handle more than one new pistol a year.  I keep messing with them for a few months when I first get them.  If a new-to-me pistol passes the initial 50-yards-from-a-rest-test (the P-10C did exceptionally well there), I get out the files and the grip modifiers and get after it.  Then I spend a few months learning to shoot the gun well.     

It's hard to find a "bad" pistol these days.  They are all compromises and there is plenty of room for different models and manufacturers, and each of us can find some model that fits/works for us. 

OK, I give up.  I'm trying to sound objective here and it just isn't working.  I'm a CZ fanboy (but with good reason!).   :) :)

Joe
CZ-75B 9mm and Kadet, 97B"E", two P-09's, P-07, P-10C, P-10F, P-10S, MTR

Offline solipsism

• No weapon formed against you shall prosper.
« Reply #72 on: June 18, 2017, 04:25:51 PM »
MAC ran the 509 through the torture test.... It did not fare too well. I realize his "test" is extreme and not a concern for the majority of shooters but other firearms have fared way better. It also failed to fire on the first round after only being submerged in water...

I was surprised by how poorly it did.

As the great warrior poet Ice Cube once said, "If the day does not require an AK, it is good."

Offline dondavis3

• YourCorvette.com
« Reply #73 on: June 18, 2017, 11:11:29 PM »
I love the MAC channel & his videos are great.

But I think all these mud / sand / dirt / water torture tests are of zero value to me.
CZ 75 Compact Satin Nickel 9mm
CZ 85 Combat Satin Nickel 9mm
CZ 2075 RAMI P  9mm
CZ 75 P-07 Duty
CZ 75 P-09 Duty
CZ P-10 C

Offline Ozarkmac

« Reply #74 on: June 20, 2017, 02:40:26 PM »
But I am thinking the funds I set aside for a P10C will now go towards the 509...which is "supposedly" due in stores by the end of the month.

That P10C sure looks a lot like a Glock!

anything