Author Topic: Muzzle control during double taps and rapid fire?  (Read 904 times)

Offline engineer40

Muzzle control during double taps and rapid fire?
« on: April 17, 2017, 09:00:41 PM »
Hello all.  I have a 9mm CZ Tact Sport.  I adore the gun and it's crazy accurate.  The problem I'm having may not even be a real problem.  But I appreciate any opinions. 

When I fire my polymer 9mm's or even my 45acp 1911, I can double tap or even "mag dump" fairly quickly and maintain good muzzle control.  The muzzle goes up a bit (obviously) and I can very quickly bring it right back on target to fire again.  It's something that I've practiced a lot over the last year. 

I've watched about every YT video over the last year on shooting pistols rapidly.  I take notes and try the techniques at the range, grip and stance, etc.  I do practice by dry firing as well.  I've been shooting firearms for a long time.  I'm 35 and have been shooting my entire life starting as a child.  The competition pace/style of shooting pistols is newer to my however. 

My CZ Tact Sport feels like my muzzle "bounces" after firing.  Maybe because it's so muzzle heavy with the full length dust cover?  When I try to shoot it quickly it feels like I can't calm the muzzle down nearly as quickly as my other pistols. 

Anyone else notice this with your muzzle heavy Tact Sports?  In theory this pistol muzzle would move very little compared to the lighter pistols, and that isn't happening.  Thanks!

Offline IronicTwitch

Re: Muzzle control during double taps and rapid fire?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2017, 09:30:57 PM »
I had the same issue when I started with the TS.  It's just a handful of handgun.  Two suggestions that worked for me, slimer grips get more of your hands around the frame, and try a lighter recoil spring. 

Last, coming from a B class USPSA shooter, don't think of any practice as attempting controlled pairs or rapid fire.  Each shot, no matter the speed, is individually taken.  If you've got the control elements dialed in it looks fast.  But, in reality, there's a lot of hard work going into maintaining the control.  Bill drills (draw and six shots on target) is focused on getting a consistent grip and tracking the front sight as it bounces in recoil.

I'm more impressed with guys that hit all alphas pretty quick than by guys that are really quick without the points.

Offline engineer40

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2017, 09:34:01 AM »
Thanks.  I do already have the aluminum grips. 

I have a few different recoil springs I can try.  I didn't think of this initially because the empty cases are flying about 8ft so I assumed it wouldn't benefit me to go any lighter.  I'm shooting 125gr bullet with the lowest charge of Tite Group the book recommends, which I think is 3.6gr. 

Thanks!

CZ Aficionado

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2017, 05:49:14 PM »
,,,,,,try a lighter recoil spring. 

This will probably be the easiest thing to try.....and most likely the most effective given everything else you have done.  Get a variety of weights and see what works best for you, the lower the weight the better  ;)

Offline engineer40

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2017, 07:43:59 PM »
,,,,,,try a lighter recoil spring. 

This will probably be the easiest thing to try.....and most likely the most effective given everything else you have done.  Get a variety of weights and see what works best for you, the lower the weight the better  ;)

I'm not sure what the factory spring weight is?  However I do have a few additional recoil springs between 14lb and 10lbs to try.  I understand that if my recoil spring is too heavy, then the movement of the slide slamming back closed would cause my muzzle to dip.  That does make sense.  However I've always read that you don't want your empty cases flying too far, or that means you have too light of a recoil spring installed.  They were landing about 8ft, which seemed reasonable? 

I did come up with a very cool plinking load using the 10lb recoil spring.  Super low charge of Unique, down in the 2.X something grains.  That's shooting a 125gr bullet.  Never had a FTF or FTE or any issue at all with the load.  Even when the magazine was loaded to full capacity it still feed all of the rounds fine.  (Cover my butt clause; do not try this light of charge yourself. This is well below book minimum loads). 

But now it's time to find a good load + recoil spring combo that can make the required power factor so I can be practicing with that load instead. 

Thanks all!
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 07:51:09 PM by engineer40 »

anything