Author Topic: Full circle on CZ-97B"E" trigger parts. Another change tonight.  (Read 516 times)

Offline Joe L

My SAO CGW CZ-97B"E" has been my bullseye match gun for the last two years.  When I ordered it, I didn't really know what kind of trigger pull I wanted, since the Kadet was a crisp 2 lbs and the P-09 (that I shot really well in 2014 season) was a somewhat mushy 3 lb.  I asked for 2.5 lbs and that is what CGW gave me, with their hammer and sear and springs. 

Last year I swapped the hammer for another CGW hammer with a little more sear engagement and 3 lb pull.  That was better, but the trigger was still a little too crisp for me.  Note that this is a personal preference, and is not a criticism of the CGW parts at all.  Most folks love the crisp smooth CGW trigger feel.  I do too, for a .22.  It is me that is struggling with the .45, no one else. 

Over the last few months, I've shot a variety of slightly modified and stock pistols with trigger pulls in the 3.5-5 lb range.  As long as the pull was not gritty, I could shoot it just fine.  The final bit of evidence that confirmed the direction I needed to go was shooting a stock CZ75B Compact, straight out of the box.  The trigger was gritty, but the engagement travel was perfect for me.  I shot a 91 timed fire target after 5 rounds to check zero.  I liked the long creepy trigger!  Just like my SIG's. 

So, tonight I put the stock original CZ-97 hammer back in the pistol, but left the CGW sear, etc.  The only thing I changed was the hammer.  After backing out the overtravel and preset screws, I had a creepy but smooth 3-3/4 lb trigger.  It feels perfect for me.  And me alone.  I will shoot it Wednesday or Thursday, if I feel a little stronger than I did today after having back surgery last week. 

So another experiment started.  I will play with the 97 and "new" trigger feel while waiting for the P-10C.  Then I drop everything and concentrate on the P-10C. 

Pictures and maybe a video later this week.  I'm fired up again to shoot the big ol' heavy .45 after a few weeks with puny plastic 9mm pistols and that wonderful heavy, gritty, 75B Compact. 

Joe 
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 05:34:05 AM by Joe L »
CZ-75B 9mm and Kadet, several SIG P226's, AR-15, Savage 308 bolt gun,

Offline Joe L

Re: Full circle on CZ-97B"E" trigger parts. Another change tonight.
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2017, 01:29:32 PM »
I stopped by the outdoor range today and shot 50 rounds of AA 185 JHP through the CZ-97B"E" today to see how I like the new trigger feel.  It was excellent.  Here is the first target:

It was getting very gusty.  After this first target, I shot a 98-4x, then a 91-1x, and a 93-1x.  Each one I had one shot where I just miss timed the hammer release in the wind.  I shot 5 rounds of Winchester White Box first thing to check for hammer follow and to make sure the zero was still good.  Everything was fine, safety works fine, no hammer follow. 

To be able to shoot a 98 and two 96s first time out with a new trigger, after back surgery, on a windy day, is a good sign, to say the least.  I'm a very happy 97B"E" owner right now, stock hammer and all. 

Joe

Offline Joe L

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2017, 08:12:56 PM »
I made another change, one that was as dramatic to me as putting the stock hammer back in.  I removed the fpsb and the lifter and put in the CGW spacer.   The only CZ I had previous to this without a fpsb was the Kadet.  I would NOT make this change to a carry or home defense gun.  I wouldn't even do it to an IDPA or UPUSA match gun.  Only on a bullseye match range gun.   

The pull weight is still 3 lb-12 oz, but there is no "ledge" or trigger prep other than taking up the slack in the trigger pull.  Then the sear starts moving, very smoothly.  This felt much closer to the way the Kadet trigger feels, but with more sear engagement (longer pull) because of the stock height hammer hooks. 

The surprise to me was that this change entirely changed the feel of the trigger, without the resistance of the fpsb, then the sear movement.  Now, it was sear movement and that is all I felt.  The range trip on Sunday morning started out being a disaster, with many early, unintentional releases, and hits above the bullseye.  It was strange.  Two years of adapting to the fpsb and the "feel" of the trigger were gone.  I had to be very careful to just take up the slack, and then smoothly and continuously move the trigger until the hammer dropped.  It took 50 rounds for me to let go of expecting the fpsb resistance.  When I gave up mentally on the fpsb resistance, I started shooting very well.  Again.  Finally.

The last 10 shots are shown in this video.  The 10 shots before the videod shots indicated I was getting there, with just 3 poor trigger releases out of 10.  You guys will never get to see the targets for the first 50 rounds. 

This was a much tougher change to adapt to than I ever expected.  I just don't have any centerfire experience without the fpsb.  Maybe this change will help narrow the gap a little between the rimfire 75 Kadet and the .45 centerfire 97 pistols.  That transition has always been tough for me.  I'm narrowing the gap. 

Joe

Offline handgun2

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2017, 07:45:50 PM »
thanks so much Joe!  you helps us all!  good info! please keep doing what you do so well.. that being.. giving very specific information and inspiration for gun control / accuracy!  wish we were neighbors!

cheers, K in MI

anything