Author Topic: Fixing my draw  (Read 1022 times)

Offline Scarlett Pistol

Fixing my draw
« on: April 06, 2017, 09:44:36 PM »
So since I realized my grip was holding me back, and fixed it and my focus on my grip, I've been on a roller coaster. When I'm trying to shoot groups it's hard for me to get out of my head. Then I started working on my draw again to get things adjusted to my slightly adjust grip and stance. Well... I haven't out in the dry fire time to get things worked out on my draw. It's terrible right now.

On a lunch break range trip my boss and I were practicing draws with 2 shots on a USPSA target at 12 or 15 yards and a transition to another target at 7 to 10 yards. My draw was not consistent and then I started thinking about it and it got slower. Splits and transition weren't bad for me and I only dropped a few shots out of the A zone. We didn't have time for pics or video. But I snapped a pic of my timer from my last run when I got home. All A's. Yeah... No pic, but I have nothing to prove since I don't think this was special overall.

Main take away. Dry fire the steps, then let go and just imagine the end points. Don't let yourself get into your own head and think about the stuff you know. Let it happen subconsciously. That's what dry fire is good for!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

"In God I trust. All others must supply data."

Offline SlvrDragon50

Re: Fixing my draw
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2017, 10:48:08 PM »
Couldn't agree more. The less I think about my DA pull, the better it usually is. Whenever I think my DA shot sucks, then my draw ends up being way off target.

Offline Scarlett Pistol

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2017, 11:51:52 PM »
Subconscious learning and action is crazy. Building it up and then learning how to just let it happen... It's hard when there's so much self analysis when trying to learn without a mentor or teacher. Just to switch to observing what's happening and not consciously thinking of the actions.

Offline bsand

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2017, 01:08:31 PM »
Man, I wish I could go shooting on my lunch breaks... Even better would be if my boss would ro me lol!!

You've got it good Scarlett pistol!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Offline Scarlett Pistol

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2017, 01:06:56 AM »
Man, I wish I could go shooting on my lunch breaks... Even better would be if my boss would ro me lol!!

My boss calls himself a white collar red neck. Good guy and good friend. For being stuck in the city, this makes it easier to deal with.

Offline coolbox

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2017, 06:46:36 AM »

I agree fully!

@Scarlett
I only shoot bulseye, but did venture in to IDPA briefly. I could, at best, get 1.2sec first shot after a few weeks of practice. It was not easy, but got better with practice. I 2nd the subconscious part.
Life is too short to waste on a bad trigger pull

Offline Scarlett Pistol

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2017, 08:49:28 AM »

I agree fully!

@Scarlett
I only shoot bulseye, but did venture in to IDPA briefly. I could, at best, get 1.2sec first shot after a few weeks of practice. It was not easy, but got better with practice. I 2nd the subconscious part.

Ah, the bullseye.... You shoot a game that torments me more than any other. So hard for me to let go and clear my mind for the pace of bullseye.

Offline coolbox

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2017, 09:26:43 AM »
Would be easier to get used to the pace if you practiced at 50 yards. Almost everyone takes the same amount of time for a clean shot at that distance.
Life is too short to waste on a bad trigger pull

Offline rich63

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2017, 09:38:56 AM »
Of all the shooting and practicing I do, drawing from holster to the target, for me, is the hardest thing to do to get a good time. It is absolutely frustrating. You know inside yourself you're capable of better times.  Mine started late last summer. I figured I was rushing my shot and this would eventually resolve itself. The longer this went on, the more it gets in your head and affects your shooting. Before this started I was routinely getting into 1.10 -1.20 range and occasionally would get under 1 second. My personal best is .91 on steel at 10 yards.

Fast forward to now. My problem is not the draw or the timer. After I draw I find the front sight and it's on target, I pull the trigger and my shot is consistently 5 -6 inches low. I've determined that I am mashing the trigger dropping my shot. My last range session I started setting my timer at 1.65 sec and going slow and deliberate on my draw and make sure to get my shot on target. This does work. My goal is to get 10 of 10 on target at this set time before I lower the par time. I got to 1.50 sec before stopping and moving on to something else. I only allocate 50 rounds to doing this. I'm not going to concentrate solely on this. There are other drills etc I want to do while I'm there. Hopefully, in time, I can get this out of my head and resolved. Certainly is frustrating though.

If you more experienced shooters have run into this and corrected it and/or know something else I could try to speed up this process, please chime in and let me know.

rich63

Offline jroback

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2017, 10:38:54 AM »
This may seem off-topic, and I am far from an expert on the draw (although I am improving), but what I keep in the back of my mind is the following video: 

Essentially, for those that don't want to watch the video, this engineer built a backwards bicycle (if you turn the handlebars left, the bike goes right, and vice versa).  He tried to ride it everyday for 8 months, without success.  Then one day, he could just do it.  There was no obvious gradual improvement over the 8 months, but apparently everyday while he was trying to ride it his brain was rewiring itself until (after 8 months) it had made all the right connections. Of course, then he couldn't ride a normal bike and it took him a while until he could ride either bike interchangeably. I keep this in mind while I work on my shooting -- even if I am not seeing obvious improvement, my brain is getting rewired and one day it will all come together.

Just my $ 0.02

anything