Author Topic: It was pointed out to me how poorly i shoot...  (Read 1786 times)

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
It was pointed out to me how poorly i shoot...
« on: April 20, 2017, 02:16:33 AM »
But I am a glutton for punishment, I guess. :) had the BREN back out to the firing line briefly. The son came home and wanted to shoot his new rifle, shown here.

Shooting steel at 100 yards he did not too badly for a beginning. He is VERY happy with his new toy and, of course, wants more ammo. Payday, kiddo, payday.

But some of us MAKE our own ammo, and this one is kind of special. Remember this box?

Nobody wanted the unopened box as a collectible, so...I opened it. These 50+_ year old bullets seem to have aged well, better than I have!

Well...

It was pretty consistent. No idea what velocity it is traveling, but this hollow point is a HP in name only, not a varmint bullet, from what I'm told. Again, the BREN worked smooth and easy, as always.
Only out for an hour and most of the time was figuring out where the STG 44 was actually hitting - the 300 yard sight adjustment was what was needed for 100 yards, go figure.

Offline jwc007

• Global Moderator
Re: It was pointed out to me how poorly i shoot...
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2017, 02:42:32 PM »
Nice Group and that BREN continues to impress me!  8)  Congrats on getting your son to the Range with his new Rifle!  :)

I use a similar loading in my accurized Ruger Mini-14, I have setup for Coyote/General Varmint Hunting.  It uses a CCI/Speer 52 grain FB-JHP, Federal Brass, Winchester Small Rifle Primer, and 27.5 grains of W748.  Chronographed Velocity runs 3300 fps. 

I've also used this load in a Single Shot H&R Handi-Rifle with a 6-24x Target Scope, but have not Chronographed it from this Rifle.  I expect it would do a bit better.  I've only taken one Coyote with it, so far.  The Mini-14 has taken at least 20 Coyotes, two Groundhogs, and a few Raccoons.

"Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by ego." - Yoda

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"

Offline Tok36

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2017, 04:05:18 PM »
What kind of rifle is your son shooting?

As to the ammo, .224 and .223 are interchangeable in .233 rifles?
Will work for CZ pics! (including but not limited to all CZ clones)

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2017, 04:36:36 PM »
My youngest son "challenges" me like that some times.  I know you're supposed to let the kids win, sometimes, but he's 30 now and when he shoots a group with his Savage varmint rifle and tells me my vARmint rifle won't do that I have to show him that when that big old heavy (AR15 with a 24" bull barrel, bipod and RRA trigger) semi auto can shoot nice groups.

Some of my best memories are taking the kids shooting.  I wish we could find the time in their schedules (I'm retired) to do it more often and sometimes at home where we can shoot something besides paper and at longer distances.

Fun times.
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2017, 01:29:56 AM »
Tok, that's a German Sport Guns STG44 clone in 22 long rifle. It is really well built and very faithful to the original, but of course it's blowback and the gas system is fake. I has absolutely zero recoil...I mean zero. Heavy but fun, and since he's a WWII nut, it is right up his alley. It was also cheap, which is the only way I can get stuff.
As for the caliber, most bullets for reloading for .223/5.56mm are .224 in diameter, generally. That particular box of bullets was manufactured some time before 1964.

Offline Tok36

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2017, 12:59:29 PM »
^^Thanks, i recognized the part where the butstock meets the frame then i could not put it together. As to the 223 question, one thing about CZ pistols is that it gave me a good reason not to reload rifle as much. I really prefer reloading for pistols, but then i am lazy. Not lazy enough to blow my self up but too lazy to trim brass.
Will work for CZ pics! (including but not limited to all CZ clones)

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2017, 05:55:58 PM »
I'm fat, old, married, and have no life. None. So I have lots of time for trimming brass and other mundane reloading chores :) It's the last hobby I have left, almost. Bury me with the press!

Offline Stuart

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2017, 07:30:11 AM »
The STG44 22lr is cool. Love mine, very fun to shoot

Offline painter

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2017, 08:35:10 AM »
What kind of rifle is your son shooting?

As to the ammo, .224 and .223 are interchangeable in .233 rifles?
Bullets for .223 measure .224.

.223 bullets were for older manufacture 22 Hornet. I believe they changed that due to confusion of people using the .223 bullets for .223.
I had the right to remain silent...

but not the ability.

Offline coolbox

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2017, 01:49:10 PM »
Those are some pretty tight groups. Excellent shooting.
And, your son is already so grown up! Time flies.
Life is too short to waste on a bad trigger pull

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2017, 11:22:57 PM »
Thank you - I wish sometimes I had real glass on it to see how well it really can do. Right now the BREN is wearing a TRS-32 5MOA red dot, so at 100 yards that "bullseye", (Appleseed military style target), is completely obscured by the dot. My son swears the BREN is way too loud for him...good thing nobody was on the line with a 300 WinMag...

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2017, 11:59:47 PM »
AMan,  his ear protection looks good,  but also looks like its interfering with his cheek weld.
Needs the  flat bottom rifle muffs..   Maybe adding ear plugs with the Bren would help for noise.

Offline DenStinett

• HALT, Who goes there?
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2017, 12:17:20 AM »
Interesting how Ammunition or a given Cartridge gets it's name or caliber designation
.44 Rem Mag for instance
Try 0.428" to almost 0.45", depending on the given Bullet and its make-up

There's nothing like the 60s pricing
I love the $0.06 / bullet
Can't get anywhere close to that now
Almost 4 times that for the similar Bullet today:
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/1482256626/sierra-matchking-bullets-22-caliber-224-diameter-53-grain-hollow-point
So tell me again how Trump was worse then the 8 years before .... AND what's coming after HIM !

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2017, 12:20:31 AM »
When I looked it up, IIRC, Sierra had left that facility sometime in 1964, so they were made anytime before that, and possibly from the beginning, since the 53gr HP was the flagship bullet back then. I'll have to pony up for a box of the new ones and see if they measure up. :)

Look at 38 Special, .357 bullet, not even close. A lot of the older calibers were approximations, it seems. :)

Offline DenStinett

• HALT, Who goes there?
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2017, 02:36:11 PM »
Look at 38 Special, .357 bullet, not even close. A lot of the older calibers were approximations, it seems. :)

Hey A:
I think you mean .38 S&W or .38 Long Colt
They are also know as the .38 Postal Revolver
The .38 Special and the .357 Rem Mag are both 0.357"

Then there's the 380 Auto (as also the 9mm) at 0.0355"
So tell me again how Trump was worse then the 8 years before .... AND what's coming after HIM !