Author Topic: Decisions decisions  (Read 540 times)

Offline forwardever

Decisions decisions
« on: April 21, 2017, 02:04:38 AM »
I am trying to decide between a CZ 75b matte stainless and a SP-01 for home defense.

I currently only own a PCR as my carry gun.

The price difference is about $100 so that is not an issue.

I really don't know if I would ever use a light on my gun but I have been thinking about a red dot sight.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline forwardever

Re: Decisions decisions
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2017, 05:03:55 AM »
Just to add...

I have always been drawn to the stainless steel version of this gun but I understand the SP-01 is more practical.

The SP-01 has larger capacity and the rail is always a good option for a home defense gun

My hang up is...seeing as I always loved the stainless and its not as readily available should I just jump on it now or should I be practical and get the SP-01 and wait for a later date to land a stainless?

Online Joe L

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2017, 06:05:13 AM »
I would get the one you are most likely to shoot most often, which in you case, sounds like the matte stainless.  I would not put a red dot on one unless it was one of the late models which you could leave on all the time or cowitness.  I would put night sights on either one, but that is just my preference.  Leave a light with the gun in the house.

My house gun is a SIG P-226 with a rail, light, and night sights.  I don't shoot it or my carry gun very often, just a few rounds per month.  Just enough.  But that is because I spend all my range time with match guns.   If I weren't competing all the time, I would shoot the defensive pistols plenty, which means I would get something I really wanted to have, enjoy it, and, oh, by the way, it is my home defense gun when I'm not at the range. 

Joe
CZ-75B 9mm and Kadet, several SIG P226's, AR-15, Savage 308 bolt gun,

Offline rdcinhou

• Coat of Arms for Uherský Brod
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2017, 07:03:06 AM »
My home defense CZ P-09 is equipped with a tactical light and laser.

My thinking is that there is a higher probability of needing to use it at night in limited light conditions.

I also consider that putting the red "dot" of the laser on an intruder will act as a deterrent so that it lowers the probability that I will need to fire a shot.

CZ 24 (.380), CZ 45 (.25), CZ 52 (7.62x25 Tokarev), Vzor 70 (.32), CZ 75BΩ (9mm), CZ75D PCR Compact (9mm), CZ 75 SP-01 Phantom (9mm), CZ 82 (9mm Mak), CZ 83 (.380), CZ 97BE (.45), CZ 75 P07 DUTY (.40 S&W), CZ P09 DUTY (9mm), CZ 452 American (.17 HMR) & CZ 550 UCS Urban Counter Sniper (.308 Win)

Offline Tyerone

• Saving the planet.
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2017, 05:54:44 PM »
Don't get me wrong as I'm a HUGE fan of the Matte Stainless, but I'm failing to see how it would  materially improve your nightstand SD preparedness over your existing PCR.  Maybe a railed version would give you more versatility for laser and or light.  Dont discount a P01 or P07 in this role as these smaller options wouldn't be so potentially clunky -- especially if you end up using a drawer for nightside duty.

Offline Winkel

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2017, 06:31:29 PM »
I have both and like the SP-01 better.  I'm 52 so I like the rail option for a light or light/laser combo.  My eyes aren't getting any better.  Honestly, they shoot pretty much the same with the SP-01 having slightly less recoil since it's just a tad more front heavy.

I have the Tactical version because I like the decocker better than the safety version. 

That said, my P-09 is my 'go-to' gun for everything that is not concealed carry.  I'm a huge fan of the P-09.

Offline forwardever

Decisions decisions
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2017, 09:25:29 PM »
Thanks for the advice guys...I went ahead and got a suppressor ready SP-01 Tactical in Urban Grey.

I just couldn't pass it up...like the poster above said, the stainless really wasn't adding much value to my current needs.  I am definitely going to get one down the road as more of a luxury.

Now I have a very versatile gun with excellent capacity that can hold down my night stand duties.

I feel like I am off to a good start with my PCR for carry and the SP-01 for home.

Now I can move on to some long arms...

Can't wait to take it

« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 09:28:05 PM by forwardever »

Offline Tyerone

• Saving the planet.
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2017, 11:53:25 PM »
Wow that was quick!  Congrats!   Good idea about the ear protection via suppressor, but you likely ain't putting that rig in a drawer, LOL 8)

Offline forwardever

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2017, 06:52:35 AM »
Wow that was quick!  Congrats!   Good idea about the ear protection via suppressor, but you likely ain't putting that rig in a drawer, LOL 8)

Ha ha yea I thought about that...the threaded barrel was definitely just a bonus.  I really didn't go in with the intentions of getting that variant but couldn't pass it up.

Now I really have my SHTF hand gun.

I wonder if they have any bedside gun safes that are made for a gun with suppressor?

I am very new to firearms so all of this is very much exciting to me.

Offline Winkel

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2017, 07:14:53 PM »
You might want to put a little Teflon tape under that thread protector.  Mine likes to come loose.  You don't want to lose it.

Offline forwardever

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2017, 08:17:47 AM »
You might want to put a little Teflon tape under that thread protector.  Mine likes to come loose.  You don't want to lose it.

Noted....makes sense...

Thanks for the advice

Offline SPO1SHADOW

• Armed and Deplorable
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2017, 10:26:06 AM »
Just as another perspective but one that needs some consideration. When your front door gets kicked in or when you hear glass breaking in the middle of the night it is not going to matter which model of gun you have, how good the action is or if it's stainless or Polycoat. Additionally, if I am an armed intruder the moment you turn on a light or hit the button on a laser I am going to shoot you and I know exactly where to send the rounds. At the moment you hit the light or the laser you have no idea where I am but I know exactly where you are. Just something else to think about from the darker prospective.
It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession.
I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first.

Offline Tyerone

• Saving the planet.
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2017, 04:04:30 PM »
Uh, yeah.  A barking dog, locked door, etc.would be good heads up for prep and/or just send the bad guy off to easier prey.

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2017, 08:16:46 PM »
Ever seen those alarms that trigger a loud barking/growling dog noise when someone starts messing with your doors?

My only advice would be that if you mount a light on a rail in front of the trigger guard be sure to practice enough so you can hit the light when you want the light, or the trigger when you want the trigger, and not the trigger when you meant to hit the light, or vice versa.  You'll want what you need, not a big oops that might be your last.  On my rifles that have lights (two of them) I have the light set up so I operate it with my support hand from out on the handguard.  I just can't do that with the pistols, however.
Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.  So, if you see me walking the dogs with my SIG 556R, its okay.

Offline Longshanks

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2017, 10:24:25 AM »
I guess it's too late now , but so that you know , the SP-01 19 rounders work perfectly in a standard 75B .

http://i.imgur.com/gQwI37w.jpg

pictured here with the lifter mod ( and some others )  to accomodate the Shadow slide which does not have a FPB .. Nice combo

http://i.imgur.com/Z5KoGi3.jpg

Shoot for fun and shoot safe !
Cz75 SP-01 Shadow   
Cz75 B Stainless  
Cz 453 Varmint
77' Walther P1           
2006 Taurus 689 6" STAINLESS
2012 Taurus 689 4" BLUE
Dan Wesson PM7-45
Hatsan MP 12g pump-action
Hatsan PS Marine Guard 12g Semi
Sabatti Tactical S .223 rem