Author Topic: BREN in F class?  (Read 1606 times)

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
BREN in F class?
« on: April 21, 2017, 10:08:38 AM »
Well, members, what do you think?

Offline matchman

Re: BREN in F class?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2017, 10:10:53 AM »
As in long range precision shooting?
 :o

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2017, 05:53:27 PM »
Reading up on it, it seems the AR is popular in a limited F Class, F T/R, I think it's called, 800-1000 yard shooting. If an AR can do it, I wonder how well the BREN might do? Just thinking out loud - long range to me is 300 yards, after all.
Yes, I do get the Barbie Doll of rifles has multitudes of aftermarket stuff to make it into any kind of rifle you want, which the BREN doesn't have...yet. :)

Offline 762hurts

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2017, 12:40:56 AM »
I think I'd like to take that challenge. My intent was now that I have a 10.5", and ordered the 14" from CZUSA to get yet another Bren(my third) and do an SPR, and have a stainless barrel mated up to the Bren gas system parts. After my SCAR project shouldn't be too hard... nice 18" barrel. Heavy contour..stainless, ditch the chrome lining, maybe 1/8 twist... shoot my 69gr and 77's.

See if I can't make my Bren try to live up to my MK12.

Accepted...sigh... there goes my May retirement and disability check... thank God the old lady's working again...this might get ugly!

I'm gonna want a solution to the extension I'm gonna want a fix for the forend hanguard...an extension... any suggestions?
« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 12:51:21 AM by 762hurts »

Offline 762hurts

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2017, 12:52:07 AM »
Oh... and 700 distance tops... 1000... not so much

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2017, 01:49:46 AM »
Can do 1000 with the Sierra 80 gr MatchKings, maybe? But single loading with no bolt release will be difficult.
Looking forward to your results sir!
3 BRENS? Nice. :)

Offline BisonWorld

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2017, 07:26:54 PM »
You have 3 options for a barrel extension,

1 The jerry-rigged method of converting a bren bolt and carrier to work with a modified ar15 extension. (Make sure to use a left handed extension as the bren bolt rotates the opposite of an ar15 bolt) 

2. Killing a barrel by hacking off breach end just behind the barrel fixation, then boring it out and thread the inside there by making an extension out of your previous barrel. Do note here that the factory barrels are very hard so you will need to use proper cutting procedures for cutting hardened materials.

3 make your own extension from scratch. You can have a machine shop EDM cut the out raceways or always just machine them on a mill with a rotary head accepting some additional radius or finishing the lug cuts with hand tools. Back boring, threading, adding a chamfer on the jnside of the lugs, cutting feed ramp grooves. heat treating and then finally truing the lug faces.

Any of the above will work

anything