Author Topic: CZ83 years of manufacture  (Read 2314 times)

Offline eagle-eye

CZ83 years of manufacture
« on: April 25, 2017, 09:15:38 PM »
I found a Century Arms import CZ83 in 380 at a local gun shop today. it was $349, just one 12rd mag, nothing else. It showed wear on the grip and grip frame.
I was wondering about years of manufacture. This one seemed to have a 1994 date on it. I didn't realize they were still making them that late, or did I read it wrong?
I didn't get it, there's an antique shop/ flea market next door where my wife went and she bought some stuff and pulled me out to help her load some shelves she bought.
If it's a '94, it's had a busy life. Is it a good buy?
I've found that growing up in the sixties was a lot more fun than being in my sixties.

Offline Psyop96

Re: CZ83 years of manufacture
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2017, 01:00:51 AM »
The CZ-83 was discontinued after 2012 but CZUB still has the ability to manufacture them as evidenced by a small batch of 2015 manufactured ones that came in the US, reportedly as a special order.

As a basis for comparison, the surplus ones from CDI on the auction site are priced in the high $200 to low $300 before shipping and transfer costs. They usually also come with one magazine. Not sure what to make of grip frame wear without corresponding frame and slide wear. The plastic grips are a weak point. Hard to say if it was one of those pistols that was holstered much but not fired much without examining the internals more. That era also used the ramp front sight which is not a favorite for me. Extra mags are expensive ($40+) and there are too many supposedly factory mags out there to buy from other than CZ-USA or reputable source. Could be an okay buy if the internals are good, just not a screaming buy from a distance.

Offline dlk

Re: CZ83 years of manufacture
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2017, 11:14:00 AM »
For what it is worth, I own an 83 which was manufactured in 1994. As i understand, they were manufactured until 2012 and not due to lack of demand. I have had to replace the extractor and its spring twice and the recoil spring once. I have also had to replace the magazine followers as they eventually wear and chip away where they interact with the slide. Also, I had to purchase new parts for the magazine release as they tend to wear and I don't think it is the best design. Not too bad for 20+ years of use.

When I bought mine in '95, it came with 1 10-round magazine which is obviously different than the 12 rounder you referred to. If the magazine it comes with has a seam on the front and rear and says "CZ MFG" on it, it is an aftermarket mag and may not work reliably in the pistol. The pistol shoots great when everything is working, when your springs, mags etc have some problems, then it can be frustrating to find and fix the problem.

P96 is right about the replacement cost of reliable OEM magazines and how good the internals are.

I think $349 is high for what you describe. It makes me think  that he bought it for between 250-300 dollars from a surplus dealer and is trying to flip it and make some money.

anything