Author Topic: Kadet for lefties  (Read 1907 times)

Offline Ext

Kadet for lefties
« on: April 25, 2017, 09:54:47 PM »
Any Kadet 2 left handed owner around?

I just want to see how the Kadet 2 mags work for you. I just purchased a SP-01 Tac with a Kadet 2 kit today. First thing I found interesting is that there's only one notch open on the magazines so that can only use with a right handed mag release. If you happen to reverse the mag release, as lefties usually do, it will not hold thee mags in place.

So I'd like to see what your solution to get this worked, or if there's any mags for ambi mag release on the market right now.

Thanks for the input.

Offline painter

Re: Kadet for lefties
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2017, 08:00:25 AM »
I don't believe there are any l/h release mags manufactured, but reading here some have cut their own notch on the other side.

It wouldn't be difficult.
I had the right to remain silent...

but not the ability.

Offline Ext

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2017, 11:43:39 AM »
yea I have read someone got it cut with his own milling CNC @.@ not sure if we can utilize the service. But thanks for the info tho.

Offline painter

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2017, 01:24:34 PM »
I'd use a Dremel and a file.
I had the right to remain silent...

but not the ability.

Offline whitecap

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2017, 03:44:59 PM »
I have done it exactly as Painter has suggested. A Dremel type rotary device with a small thin round abrasive wheel. This will make the straight cuts along each side. Then use a narrow file to remove the middle part. You can use the abrasive wheel if you are careful to remove the mid section and then use the file. Run the Dremel type tool at a high RPM and hold it with both hands. As soon as the cutter makes contact with the mag it will want to run on you. Having someone else hold the mag is also a plus as you don't want to clamp it in a vise to the point of deforming it.

Offline 75Plus

• +12
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2017, 10:37:32 AM »
A word of caution on the location of the hole you will be adding. Take a careful look at a 9m magazine to see the slight location change of the hole corresponding to the one being added. That hole is a few thousandths lower on the mag body. If the new hole is cut to match the existing hole the mag will sit lower in the frame and may not feed properly. The exact location of the latch changes slightly when the mag release is flipped.

Joe
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 06:16:58 PM by 75Plus »
“Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth.”
George Washington

"A gun is like a parachute.  If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

Offline whitecap

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2017, 01:01:10 PM »
Good catch Joe, I forgot to mention that. Thanks

anything