Author Topic: Questions: broken trigger reset spring  (Read 900 times)

Offline Walt R.

Questions: broken trigger reset spring
« on: May 04, 2017, 05:50:09 PM »
Hi, joined Forum today seeking answers. I have enjoyed owing and shooting firearms most of my life. However, I never sought to gain much knowledge about gun repair.

Among several makes of handguns, I have, for a short time, owned a CZ 75D CRP. Like most everyone on this Forum, I love CZ and, in particular, that model. The thing I an unhappy with is that it appears that yesterday the trigger reset spring broke while dry firing snap caps. There have been about 200 live rounds fired through this pistol bought new, and approximately 600 to 700 dry firings. The trigger can be manually reset and will fire again but no auto - reset.

I read a post by mikah323 re: reducing trigger pull as well as smoothing out a somewhat gritty D/A and improving the crispness in SA. In his post he expressed reluctance to pay the price from CGW. I, too, have inquired about this and feel the same about cost unless necessary. Several responses were helpful, but I would appreciate your opinions as to whether polishing visible surfaces; a 3-spring kit per the advice given Mikah323, plus replacing the reset spring would be straight forward enough for me to attempt. I realizing that competence is an unknown factor for you, but just an opinion as to general difficulty would be helpful.

Thanks.
Walt R.

Offline Tok36

Re: Questions: broken trigger reset spring
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2017, 06:35:21 PM »
Hey there Walt, welcome to the forums.

Trigger return springs do break sometimes. It is less common for it to happen at low round counts as far as i have see but it can happen. Personally i would go with the CGW replacement TRS option. I think CGWs parts are priced fairly for the level quality and service that they offer. Bare in mind that the CGW replacement TRS is a reduced power spring in comparison to the factory part so it will reduce the DA pull weight by aprox. 1/2lb. It can also make the reset feel a little less positive so this is something to be taken into account.

I am not completely clear on your others questions about CGW upgrade parts, what parts are you thinking about and what specifically do you wish to gain?

Your question about weather working on a CZ decocker is for you comes up around hear pretty often. I believe that reviewing some of the available guides on the subject is your best bet. The information in these guides may help you decide if it is something you wish to take on. With the right research and a few tools i feel that it is very doable but it is not for everyone. A strong will to tinker is an asset in the endeavor for sure but research and preparation are key.

Here are links to a few guides that may be worth taking a look at. You stated that you have a CZ PCR (decocker), most of these guides are for other CZ decocker models but for the most part CZ decockers are all the same inside.

97BD Action Polish and CGW Pro Pack install
http://www.czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=68850.0

Disassembly and polishing CZ SP01 Tactical or phantom / cz 75BD / P01
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?p=7564021&posted=1

SP-01 Tactical CGW Modifications Tutorial (Videos)

http://www.czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=70584.0;topicseen

Cajunizing and Smoothing a CZ Rami BD (Videos)
http://www.czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=62123.0

« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 06:56:35 PM by Tok36 »
Will work for CZ pics! (including but not limited to all CZ clones)

Offline cntrydawwwg

Questions: broken trigger reset spring
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2017, 11:33:04 PM »
Welcome to the forum Walt.
   Tok gave you some great links. Read thru them and decide if your ready to tackle the decocker. They can be infuriating at times. The best advice I can give is to take your time and walk away for a bit if you start to feel frustrated.
    The main thing for the  OEM TRS is to keep it lubed. Not soaking, but a couple drops every now and then. It seems that if they get dry, their life is shortened. YMMV.
    CZCustom also has a TRS that is better than the OEM. I have not used one so I can't tell you if it's reduced power or not. I will be getting one soon to try out, as I prefer the heavier OEM feel in one of my pistols.
   Only you can decide if you're willing to tackle this to save a few bucks. Heck, I'd never torn a firearm apart before, but I've done 4 of them now
   Good luck with whichever way you choose. Hope she gets back up and running soon.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 11:35:26 PM by cntrydawwwg »
If guns are outlawed.........
 Only outlaws will have guns.

Offline Walt R.

Re: Questions: broken trigger reset spring
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2017, 08:08:48 AM »
Thanks to Tok36 and cntrydawwwg for your replies. I began with primary concern for the broken trigger reset but, after reading some related Forum posts, realized there may be other kits and advice to improve the smoothness and weight of the trigger pull in addition to the reset problem. So perhaps I should speak to CGW rep; describe what I want (or THINK I want) and evaluate his input before I take on the reset problem as a single project.

Best.