Author Topic: Drawing CZ SP01 Shadow from holster in ESP  (Read 1494 times)

Offline Brianr34

Drawing CZ SP01 Shadow from holster in ESP
« on: April 26, 2017, 10:26:41 PM »
I am new to the CZ platform.  My plan is to try my SP01 Shadow in ESP. 

Curious on how shooters disengage the safety.  During dryfire, I find it easiest to hit the safety at the same time I initially grip the gun in the holster.  Is there any concern that the impact of grabbing the gun could cause the hammer to drop and have the gun fire a round when still in the holster?

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
Re: Drawing CZ SP01 Shadow from holster in ESP
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2017, 12:10:12 AM »
Unless the pistol has something broken,  the only thing that drops the hammer is a trigger finger. 
I've seen that happen with an A Class single stack shooter as he pulled the pistol from a shelf just below a table top and shot the table top.  He was the RO and DQ'd himself.   :-\  He's also a pistol instructor and more.  In other words, IT can happen,  but it's the trigger finger.

Offline stater61

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2017, 12:59:19 AM »
 I haven't shot in competitions in quite some time, but I would advise against that method as a general rule. I strongly believe you shouldn't start taking the safety off until the muzzle has at least cleared every part of your body including your feet, support hand-arm, etc.

I believe you should push the safety down after your support hand is already in position on the grip and you are pushing the gun out towards the target. You could have an oops and drop the gun during the draw or accidently hit a table top, etc. as was previously mentioned. 1SOW is also correct that it should not fire unless the trigger is pulled.....but I wouldn't tempt fate any more than I had to. Truthfully, I don't think it will save you any time at all in competition, CCWing, on duty or anywhere really.

With dry fire (draw) practice you can get that muscle memory faster than you think. After time it will be subconscious and you won't even have to think about it. This method will work no matter what safety type platform (CZ, 1911, BHP, etc.) you're shooting or what holster you're using. Some holsters are built so you can't get your thumb on the safety until after it is removed at least part way out of the holster, duty, thumb break, level 2 or 3, etc. It would be best in my opinion to not have to adjust or relearn your draw (muscle memory) for different pistols or holsters.

I've used this method since I quit carrying revolvers on duty and went to pistols for duty, for comps, for training I've taken at classes, for classes that I've taught, it's never failed me yet.

Offline Jester435

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2017, 02:32:16 PM »
I am new to the CZ platform.  My plan is to try my SP01 Shadow in ESP. 

Curious on how shooters disengage the safety.  During dryfire, I find it easiest to hit the safety at the same time I initially grip the gun in the holster.  Is there any concern that the impact of grabbing the gun could cause the hammer to drop and have the gun fire a round when still in the holster?

Hit the safety as you pull the gun out of the holster and dont put your finger on the trigger until you have your sights on the target. You can practice this over and over in dry fire.

I prefer to just shoot the gun in DA first shot like in SSP. I would be surprised if someone can beat my .90 draw and first shot hit using the safety and SA. I bet it is a wash.
CZ P07 & P09 Urban Grey
CZ 75 SP01 Automatic Accuracy
CZ P01 Omega (BNIB)

Offline baldrage

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2017, 03:12:51 PM »
I am just a run-of-the-mill, intermediate-level shooter (MM class knocking on the door of SS), but FWIW, I concur with stater61:

I strongly believe you shouldn't start taking the safety off until the muzzle has at least cleared every part of your body including your feet, support hand-arm, etc.

I believe you should push the safety down after your support hand is already in position on the grip and you are pushing the gun out towards the target.

That's what I do -- hammer down, safety on, flip the safety off after I have drawn from holster and moved support hand on to the grip and as I am pushing the gun out towards the target, first shot in DA.  I do it the same way every time in dry fire, IDPA, bowling pin competitions, and at the range practicing, to build in the muscle memory.  Flicking safety off has become unconscious part of the draw process for me.

Only minor drawback is that I've a few ROs pester me about manually lowering the hammer during "load and make ready" and I've had to refer them to IDPA rule-book.

Offline CzDave

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2017, 02:49:09 PM »
The safety should not come off until the gun is pointed down range. Period FULL STOP.

Deactivating the safety in the holster while grabbing the gun is dangerous and unsafe. PLEASE do not do this.

It is an immediate DQ from any match.

Offline CzDave

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2017, 02:52:07 PM »
It should be noted that this question was asked in the context of ESP. That means it is in a cocked and locked position (hammer cocked, safety on).

Offline Jester435

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2017, 06:21:48 PM »
The safety should not come off until the gun is pointed down range. Period FULL STOP.

Deactivating the safety in the holster while grabbing the gun is dangerous and unsafe. PLEASE do not do this.

can you please show me in the rule book where you will get a DQ for deactivating the safety on your draw?
CZ P07 & P09 Urban Grey
CZ P01 Omega (BNIB)

Offline TruckinThumper

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2017, 08:34:36 PM »

can you please show me in the rule book where you will get a DQ for deactivating the safety on your draw?

I would say the one where the range is cold and you are not at the safety table   :P

Offline Jester435

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2017, 03:48:56 PM »

I would say the one where the range is cold and you are not at the safety table   :P

since guns dont go bang by taking the safety off. Finger discipline is what people need to be discussing because if the gun fires without being on target it is an AD which will earn you a DQ. I cant find anywhere where you will get a DQ for flipping off the safety as you draw. 
CZ P07 & P09 Urban Grey
CZ P01 Omega (BNIB)

Offline whitelotus9

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2017, 08:21:37 PM »
As CzDave said, the safety should not be switched to Fire until the firearm has cleared the holster and all parts of your body and is being pushed to the target.  At that time the muzzle should be pointed downrange and towards the targets and beyond them, the impact berm.    An AD will result in a DQ from a match.  When the support hand joins the strong hand in gripping the firearm, the muzzle should be pointed at the target/impact berm...at that time the safety could be switched off by either thumb.  After switching the safety off and once the muzzle is pointed at the first target, then the trigger finger can be moved into the trigger guard to take the shot.  These actions will actually take fractions of a second and can be practiced safely with a "blue gun" and during safe dry-fire.
Is the shooter ready?  Stand By...

Offline RenegadeDave

• Pontificating on the Process
    • My Youtube Page!
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2017, 05:35:50 AM »
The safety needs to come off as the pistol is pointed in a safe direction - generally this is shortly after the gun clears the holster is pointed in the general direction of the target prior to the support hand.

Watch Ron avery do it a bunch, he's even later to the party on the safety/ closer to full extension. 

Check out my Youtube channel! I geek out on CZ's and post match videos. 
https://www.youtube.com/user/GoliathGT

anything