Author Topic: What do you recommend for in ear electronic noise cancelling earplugs?  (Read 4616 times)

Offline Dan_69GTX

Figured I'd post this here since I've only seen those in competitions wearing them.

I've got a nice set of "over the ear" electronic hearing protection, but am considering the "in ear" variety.  So for those who have the in-ear variety what are your thoughts on them?
- Do the work as well as the over the ear?
- Are they comfortable?
- What are the drawbacks?
- How long do batteries last?
- What make/model do you have?

Early on I bought a cheap set of "over the ear" muffs.  I wasted my money because: They didn't dampen sound that much.  They clicked on and off too much and they shut off ALL the sounds.  Had a long delay, etc.  Want to try and avoid these type of issues with the in-ear variety.

Thanks!
Dan

Some trust in chassis, Some in Horsepower, But we trust in the Lord our God.

If it goes "boom" or "vroom" I'm intersted.

Offline larryflew

• Minnesota
I don't use them myself but in the steel shoots I regularly do there are 3 that use them and they ranged from $400 to $700 and all are form fit specific for their ears.  Used to have a pair when Remington sold them for about $100 they worked from a still hearing people talk standpoint but seemed to be late on shutting down from the shot noise so you still heard a louder noise then normal.
When did it change from "We the people" to "screw the people"?

, []]]]]]]]]]]\>
        )'_\   (
'            \ *\
'              \ _\

Larry

Minnesota shooter
and CZ fanatic
NRA life since the 70's
USAF 66-70

Why use 911 when it's faster to use 1911 or 9mm?

Offline Focker

I have a set of F-12's from Harris and Son's and they are fantastic.  I have some MSA Sordins with gel cups that I used to use and while those are definitely comfortable there is really no comparison.  I like the in ear much better.  They are very comfortable, put them in at the beginning of an all day match and take them out when it's over.  I have not found any drawbacks yet.  They came with a box of batteries (years supply) so I never really payed attention to their life.

They are a hearing aid company so you have to get a hearing test, molds etc and send them off to them.  They are definitely pricy but I figure we will drop a lot on a gun to use for a season or 2 and my hearing has to last my whole life so I think they are worth every penny.
"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand."---Friedman

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
Dan this caught my eye , but I never followed up on it.  32 db protection
http://www.czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=81583.msg597936#msg597936

Offline Dan_69GTX

Thanks!

I looked at the website for Harris and Son's and it is not there anymore. 

WALKERS RAZOR-X DIGITAL EAR BUDS - cool - thanks - I'll check them out.

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
Let me know what you find out.   They really did sound good.  They aren't inexpensive, but neither are my hearing aids from a lot of loud sound damage.

Offline tdogg

• Two Alpha!
So I have recently started thinking about getting in-ear noise cancelling ear protection.  At my last match a fellow competitor pointed me to and was also interested in trying these out:

https://isotunesaudio.com/products/isotunes-pro

I checked them out and for the money the seem to be a good value.  They have good noise reduction and other neat features like bluetooth capability (in the event they don't work out well for shooting).  They are inexpensive enough to try.  They don't amplify ambient sounds though so if you need to hear range commands they may not be the right czoice.

Cheers,
Toby
This forum rocks!

Offline Focker

I looked at the website for Harris and Son's and it is not there anymore. 

I noticed that too but they are still making them.  The website for his hearing aid company is still up truetonehearing.com.  If you are interested shoot me a PM and I will send you Dave Harris's cell number.  He was a nice guy and very easy to work with. 
"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand."---Friedman

Offline Dan_69GTX

Let me know what you find out.   They really did sound good.  They aren't inexpensive, but neither are my hearing aids from a lot of loud sound damage.

I will probably try these out.  But, since I just purchased 1 1/2 years worth of primers and my Son's wedding is this weekend, I'd better not do it now or my wife might get "mildly" annoyed.  She was OK with the primers since they were such a good deal.

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
You might want to subtly tell her that without good hearing protection  you may not be able to hear what she wants for Christmas, her birthday or ...  .:)     OR when she says,  "hon let's go out to dinner tonight",  just say I'm glad you want to make dinner,  I really didn't want to go out anyway. O0

Offline Jester435

https://www.sportear.com/products/ghost-stryke-black?variant=21953603267

I know that you can check with your insurance and see if they provide a discount for custom electronic ear protection as well. I would look into that first.

good luck!
CZ P07 Cajun Pro-Grade Urban Grey
CZ 75 SP01 Cajun Production Legal Kit
CZ P01 Omega Cajun Pro-Grade
CZ 75b Pro-Grade Urban Grey

Offline SlvrDragon50

This is my first season doing USPSA shoots in the summer... now I understand why people want electronic ear plugs instead of muffs. But dang they're pricey :(

Offline Dan_69GTX

Well, 1SOW,  I ordered the walker - non blue tooth version.  I'll post my opinion when I get them.

Thanks!

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
Thanks,  interested to hear how the operate.  Hope they live up to the hype.

Offline Luvdog

Please post a review once you get them... I'm also very interested