Author Topic: If you could only have one, which would you choose: an AR or an AK?  (Read 4770 times)

Offline Swamp ash

I want something fun, light, and inexpensive to shoot that is dependable and accurate.

Right now I am leaning towards the AR platform, even though I have never really cared much for them previously.

Which one do you folks think would make the best all-purpose rifle?

Ruger rimfire fan

Offline aguila9

Re: If you could only have one, which would you choose: an AR or an AK?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2017, 05:40:49 PM »
The AR is more versatile.  You can change the capabilities of the AR with some basic mechanical skill and tools, and almighty cash. Now the AK is a blunt instrument, and blunt instruments almost always work. There not pretty but the design has its attractions.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

Offline Earl Keese

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2017, 06:34:11 PM »
I've tried to "want" an AK several times. For me though, they are just too crudely put together. I can appreciate them for what they are, but they don't interest me for range use. I thoroughly enjoy my AR at the range and for coyote hunting. Planning a 6.5 Grendel build next.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 06:56:33 AM by Earl Keese »

Offline deadduck357

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2017, 07:30:48 PM »
Thank goodness I don't have to make that choice. I've both and like both.

Offline Grendel

• Administrator
  • 'Live Long, and Prosper'
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2017, 07:56:34 PM »
AR, cuz...America
Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges - Tacitus

Inter arma enim silent leges - Cicero

I wasn't born in America, but I got here as fast as I could.

Offline Smitty79

• So many guns, so little time
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2017, 08:06:47 PM »
I have an AK and an AR,   I haven't shot either in 18 months.   I like shooting my Shadow too much.
Don't mistake my high post count for knowledge or wisdom.   I just like hearing myself type.

Offline Tyerone

• Saving the planet.
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2017, 08:12:03 PM »
I guess I was looking for a primary purpose rather than an "all purpose rifle" which perhaps would be an AR.  However, I'm not giving up my bolt action rifles for hunting and long range fun.  My good old Marlin model 60 from my youth still shoots 22 LR nicely for varmints, so I don't "need" an AR.

The basic under folder AK (with beautiful wood furniture) represents a very handy defense arm from close quarter vehicle use out to a couple hundred yards.  If you aren't afraid of iron sights, and thus less value placed on long range shooting, get an AK.

Offline rl96ss

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2017, 08:57:42 PM »
AK all day.

Offline viking499

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2017, 09:21:33 PM »
I've tried to "want" an AK several times. For me though, they are just to crudely put together. I can appreciate them for what they are, but they don't interest me for range use. I thoroughly enjoy my AR at the range and for coyote hunting. Planning a 6.5 Grendel build next.

Grendel for long range target or varmint/hunting use?

Offline Goju

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2017, 09:29:22 PM »
AR all day for me. My 6.5 Grendel is an absolute whitetail hammer. And if I was inclined to do some defensive training, I can get any number of upper configurations in .223 / 5.56 from .... Everywhere

Offline Jericho Hill

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2017, 09:31:11 PM »
I enjoyed my under folder Yugo AK.  It was good enough especially when I had the adasity to mount a reflex sight on it.  Sometimes I think about getting another one but then CZ's and clones catch my eye any I forget.   Now a VZ58 or a Scorpion that is harder to forget.

Offline silentbob

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2017, 09:42:15 PM »
I want something fun, light, and inexpensive to shoot that is dependable and accurate.

Right now I am leaning towards the AR platform, even though I have never really cared much for them previously.

Which one do you folks think would make the best all-purpose rifle?
AR

Ron M.

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2017, 09:45:13 PM »
An AR would be my first choice. I have a few in .223/5.56 and my hog hammer in 450 Bushmaster. My son uses a 6.8SPC for deer and hogs with excellent results. The AR platform also is easier to reload for and doesn't wreck brass like many AR types do. If I were only going to have 1 AR it would be a fixed stock 18 inch A2 contour barreled rifle with a good red dot and 3x magnifier or 1-4x scope. Equip the upper with an A2 front sight and a flip up backup rear sight, have an A4 carry handle also.

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2017, 09:56:41 PM »
AR15 advantages include accuracy, spare parts availability, aftermarket parts availability, easy to mount optics, easy to further improve accuracy with match barrels, match triggers, free float handguards, etc., increased range of projectiles, easy to field strip or even further and clean/inspect/lube.

I know many people will say AR15's are reliable but mine seem to do pretty well.

Good ammo is easy to find.  Brass is reloadable.  Components for reloading are easy to find.

AK47 advantages are pretty much the acceptance by almost everyone that it is more reliable than an AR15.

I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline rhart

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2017, 10:11:45 PM »
It depends on where I am when the zombies appear. If I'm in the U.S., an AR that will handle both 5.56 and .223 because that's the ammo that will be more readily available. If I'm in Russia, Ill take the AK for the same reasons.
Musashi:
- In all forms of strategy, it is necessary to maintain the combat stance in everyday life and to make your everyday stance your combat stance. (situational awareness).
- You can only fight the way you practice.
- If you do not control the enemy, the enemy will control you.