Author Topic: If you could only have one, which would you choose: an AR or an AK?  (Read 4819 times)

Offline Swamp ash

Re: If you could only have one, which would you choose: an AR or an AK?
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2017, 09:44:01 AM »
Thanks for all the suggestions, thus far.

I am still leaning AR.  I have two manufacturers that I am considering, so we'll see how this plays out. 

Ruger rimfire fan

Offline ShoMeMule

« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2017, 10:47:27 AM »
I want something fun, light, and inexpensive to shoot that is dependable and accurate.

Right now I am leaning towards the AR platform, even though I have never really cared much for them previously.

Which one do you folks think would make the best all-purpose rifle?

VZ58
Why do I carry a gun? Because I am too old to fight, run or take an ass whippin'. I persevere to die at a rip old age, in my own bed, NOT at a time or place of another person's choosing!

Offline silentbob

« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2017, 09:44:49 PM »
Thanks for all the suggestions, thus far.

I am still leaning AR.  I have two manufacturers that I am considering, so we'll see how this plays out.
Don't forget you can assemble your own AR, requires little investment in tools.

CZ Aficionado

« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2017, 10:50:27 PM »
I want something fun, light, and inexpensive to shoot that is dependable and accurate.

Right now I am leaning towards the AR platform, even though I have never really cared much for them previously.

Which one do you folks think would make the best all-purpose rifle?

Colt LT-6720......I have one with FDE Magpul furniture......fits every area your looking for.  ;)

http://www.colt.com/Portals/0/Specs/2016/AR6720.pdf
« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 06:59:18 PM by CZ Aficionado »

Offline whitelotus9

« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2017, 12:16:52 AM »
At least one of each....AKM and AR...well maybe an AR format pistol also. 
Is the shooter ready?  Stand By...

Offline Swamp ash

« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2017, 01:33:58 PM »
At least one of each....AKM and AR...well maybe an AR format pistol also.

Haha - that's the future reality :D

Actually, I am getting an AR, and if I find the need/opportunity, I'll get another upper in .300 Blackout to cover the AK territory.

Thanks for all the input/suggestions.  With the rapidly dropping  prices and the fact this is my first AR, I opted not to do a "build".

I narrowed down to 2 companies I trust - Ruger, who like CZ really stands behind their products and serves customers, and, the time-honored company but new AR-kid on the block, Savage.  Both offer entry level 16" barrel weapons with forged receivers and collapsible stocks and appear very similar.

As of now, the Ruger AR 556 can be had for $479.  It is pretty much compatible with any AR with the exception of the delta ring and Front Gas Block that is not easily replaced with another type.  But it seems like a really nice weapon and I trust Ruger to take care of customers completely

The Savage has several MSR 15s, but I was looking at the base level PAtrol.  Price dropped to $579.  It is completely compatible with any other AR part, but has several "improvements" to me over the Ruger.  It has 1) Melonite barrel finish inside/out; 2) .223 Wylde chamber; 3) Mid length gas system/longer handguards; 4) Different rifling (5R); 5) it's a Savage and I always have been fond of the ones I have owned!

I opted for the Savage!  Can't wait to try it out. Would love to have a Hunter 10 in .308!
https://www.savagearms.com/msr/

Ruger rimfire fan

Ron M.

« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2017, 08:01:14 PM »
You should be happy with that Savage, just be ready to change the pistol grip. The one owned by a good friend was very awkward feeling, he ended up putting on a MagPul MOE plus.   

Offline Swamp ash

« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2017, 09:01:55 PM »
You should be happy with that Savage, just be ready to change the pistol grip. The one owned by a good friend was very awkward feeling, he ended up putting on a MagPul MOE plus.
Awesome to hear; I am very excited to get it, actually. I've heard they are quite accurate.
Thanks for the suggestion about the grip.  My Ruger Charger came with an A2 grip that was terrible..  I am also prepared to drop in a new trigger cassette.
The modularity of the AR was very attractive to me.
Ruger rimfire fan

Ron M.

« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2017, 09:09:29 PM »
Awesome to hear; I am very excited to get it, actually. I've heard they are quite accurate.
Thanks for the suggestion about the grip.  My Ruger Charger came with an A2 grip that was terrible..  I am also prepared to drop in a new trigger cassette.
The modularity of the AR was very attractive to me.

I have a couple of ARs with CMC 3.5 pound triggers in them. They're held up very well and give a very consistent pull and break.  My 450 Bushmaster has a 4 pound Timney trigger, I find it about ideal for a hunting rifle.

Offline Earl Keese

« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2017, 10:48:00 PM »
Congrats! Looking forward to a report on the Savage, I would've picked it over the Ruger as well. Deals are certainly heating up. I've had a spare lower in the safe for over a year, finally time to build it up. I just picked up a Geiselle SD-E on sale for $175.

Offline gianmarko

« Reply #40 on: May 07, 2017, 02:37:19 PM »
AK because i find the 7.62x39 a more versatile caliber, that is also dirt cheap and available everywhere.

i will not say anything about AR reliablity. i saw several having bad malfunctions and failures but people spend too much time "tuning" their guns rather than shooting them

being in europe, AR's are expensive and not so common. being in Switzerland,  i shoot quite a lot the PE90/FASS90/SIG550 . choosing between the PE90 and an AK would be a different story... but then i also have a Stgw 57...
oh well

Offline whitelotus9

« Reply #41 on: May 08, 2017, 12:03:19 AM »
One thing to keep in mind is that the hand guard on an AK (AKM / WASR-10) will get HOT after a magazine full!!  Replacing the stock wood hand guard and gas tube cover with ones containing a metal heat shield will make shooting significantly more enjoyable. 
Is the shooter ready?  Stand By...

Offline Diamondbackmike2004

• Shooters assume the firing position
« Reply #42 on: May 08, 2017, 11:01:28 AM »
AR

Quite simply it is more accurate. Easier to repair if it does go down. Ammunition is in greater quantity and more available. You can adjust or modify an AR to suit your individual needs.

AK Accuracy is marginal, AK is machine gun with gender confusion(MG or Rifle?). When your AK goes down it goes down hard. Ammunition is available now but one bad bit of legislation or a rough import season and your supply dwindles and prices skyrocket (im looking at you 5.45 guys). The Ak platform has a limit of how much you can change.

I find reliability to be a stupid point to make due to so many individual factors. I have had Ak's fail within 200 rounds for no apparent reason and i have AR's that are running like a champ and have seen the evil of bad ammunition and no cleaning and are thousands of rounds deep with a little oil squirted inside.

I might know what im talking about....but today, I don't.....

Offline Sicamosley

« Reply #43 on: May 12, 2017, 06:25:16 PM »
AK.  3rd option is either a Mini 14, or a Mini 30

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline steerclr

« Reply #44 on: May 12, 2017, 06:29:06 PM »
For rugged reliability I agree, either the Mini-14 or AK.  Yes, the AR is more accurate.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2017, 06:30:49 PM by steerclr »

anything