Author Topic: Magazine Failures?  (Read 1242 times)

Offline DanT

Magazine Failures?
« on: April 29, 2017, 06:31:19 PM »
I have one of the lips of one of magazine in bad shape, about to go.  I don't think it was bad before I went to the range, but I am not really sure.

What are people's experiences here?  Is it always the same side of the magazine that goes or is it either side?In my case I noticed that the lip that is going happens to be on the same side as the firing pin safety button on the bottom side of the bolt.  Could the firing pin safety button be interfering with the magazine lip?

As I thought about this further I also realized that I always load and store my magazines with 18 rounds (not 20) to try to keep from fatiguing the magazine spring.  The lip that is going is also the side that is pressured by the top round when I load to 18 rounds.  If this issue is due to ammo pressure, I am thinking that every other time I should load everything to 19 rounds to even things out to both lips over time and perhaps extend the life of my magazine.

Inquiring minds.....

DanT   Phoenix, AZ

Offline lorazepam

Re: Magazine Failures?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2017, 06:52:37 PM »
Hey Dan. I have not experienced a failure on mine, but it seems to be either side from what I have read.

You really won't weaken the spring loading to full. Cycling from full to empty causes wear, and stretching the spring beyond it's design will cause premature failure. I was involved in a study in the 70's regarding spring wear, and these were the conclusions. Load it full, it will not hurt a thing. I have 20 round AR mags from the 70's that stay loaded for years with no issues at all.

Offline akuser47

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2017, 08:12:27 PM »
Yep. factory mags fail at times happens either side of feed lips. Just contact customer service, and they'll advice you on the exchange process.

Offline mb60evo

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2017, 08:33:35 PM »
If I find any of my mags to fail, I will turn them in to CZ.

Then I will replace them with Manticore mags.

Offline SouthernScorp

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2017, 10:16:38 PM »
oh here we go again, typical cz mag quality "I've had 6 fail ,1 causing injury"... all I can say is buy MANTICORE MAGS. yeah CZ will replace them but you get to constantly worry about it happening again.
CZ Scorpion Evo S1 Pistol:

SLR Synergy Mini comp
SBT-EVO Brace
PMM Safety Levers
Dual HBI Prostock Charging Handles
Gearhead Mag Release
HBI Trigger Spring
HBI Delta Trigger
PMM QD Front & Rear
Magpul MS1 + QDs
Holosun HS515cu on ADM low mount
Vendetta VP-17-A AFG

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2017, 01:52:25 AM »
I haven't had any magazines fail yet, and I have the original Scorpion, first gen. :) The two 20 rounders are perfect. I do have some with cracks in the plastic, but none have actually failed. I have some Manticore mags and I am very likely to buy some more, especially the newer versions. One of the clear 32 rounders as my Primary magazine now. :)
Call 1-800-955-4486 and ask for the procedure.

Offline chaos19671

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2017, 04:09:52 PM »
i won't spend 30+ for the manticore when i can buy UZI pro and the adapters from the guy on the site cheaper for steel!!!

does manticore give all you guys a cut or what???  a little piece of metal at the top of a polymer mag and he can justify 30+  i'm sorry not going down that rabbit hole!  My Opinion only have over 1k rounds out of mine with the Pro Mags and adapter

Offline akuser47

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2017, 04:29:59 PM »
Manticore answered the call of us here, and many others on other forums. We were all sending emails and calling magazine manufactures asking when and if they would make a USA made metal feed lips or all metal magazine. Manticore very secretly manufactured these magazines to Prepper guns shops specifications. A venture that I think we all are very thankful for. Use what you like if it works and is reliable. No one here  are paid to solicit or mention these magazines except SVEN I think he is CEO of Manticore. I hope more companies will produce more options the more the merry and also the more then in general cheaper to. Time will tell.

Offline Belzo

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2017, 04:37:56 PM »
I need to get me some of the manticore mags.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2017, 06:03:50 PM »
chaos, go easy. :)

Offline Manticore_Arms

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2017, 07:16:32 PM »
i won't spend 30+ for the manticore when i can buy UZI pro and the adapters from the guy on the site cheaper for steel!!!

does manticore give all you guys a cut or what???  a little piece of metal at the top of a polymer mag and he can justify 30+  i'm sorry not going down that rabbit hole!  My Opinion only have over 1k rounds out of mine with the Pro Mags and adapter

I can justify the cost of the mag by the $100,000+ in R&D, tooling, and production costs We laid out on the line, and the essentially zero percent failure rate of our magszines thereafter with close to 4,000+ in the hands of real world users running them.

It is easy to talk smack about product msrp when youdidnt have to hang your neck and balls out there financially on a huge project with over a year of work before we made a penny back on it.  ;)

Sven
Manticore Arms

Offline akuser47

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2017, 07:29:32 PM »
Well said Sven well said, and I agree 100% Well done

Offline eastman

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2017, 07:31:35 PM »
Manticore answered the call of us here, and many others on other forums. We were all sending emails and calling magazine manufactures asking when and if they would make a USA made metal feed lips or all metal magazine. Manticore very secretly manufactured these magazines to Prepper guns shops specifications. A venture that I think we all are very thankful for. Use what you like if it works and is reliable. No one here  are paid to solicit or mention these magazines except SVEN I think he is CEO of Manticore. I hope more companies will produce more options the more the merry and also the more then in general cheaper to. Time will tell.

I get paid to convince people to buy CZ  O0 .

I'm glad that Sven is offering an alternative. I'll pick up a few in the next few months and give them a try.
I don't look like my avatar!

Offline Spearjunkie

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2017, 10:59:28 PM »
There is a huge expense for R&D and tooling as Sven said with all ventures. I am happy to pay a fair price for a great product that works and will last a lot loger than the factory mags and that's why I bought 5 of the Manticore mags.  Yes, they cost a little more but it's better than buying factory mags and keep sending them back to CZ when they break.  I also don't mind supporting a company that will take a risk to manufacture better parts for us to purchase.

Offline akuser47

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2017, 11:56:48 PM »
Well said spear

anything