Author Topic: Gun prices  (Read 473 times)

Offline eagle-eye

Gun prices
« on: May 01, 2017, 10:05:53 AM »
I worked in a gun shop back in the 90's. I ran into the owner of the shop recently. As we shared stories about old customers and lost friends, we remembered the prices we used to sell guns for and compared them to what we see at gun shows now.
We used to sell Mosin Nagants at $59-79 each. Swedish Mausers around $100. We had some farmers who loved the old Mossberg bolt shotguns, esp. in 16ga. We never sold one for more then $59. I remember getting in some Colt King Cobras, stainless, and selling them for $399 each. Troopers and Official Police were always $200-250.  We had a matching numbers German Luger that went for $400 once.
Don't you wish you could take a wad of cash and go back to that time?

Offline John A.

Re: Gun prices
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2017, 10:39:46 AM »
While there are some very good deals to be found post election, some prices are lower now than they were 15 years ago. AR15's for example can be had for around the $400 mark as one example.

Seems like when a country dumps their surplus arsenal, prices are always pretty low until supply starts getting low.

SKS is a prime example of that too.

I can remember selling a Thompson 1928A1 for $350 once.

I have a few 16 gauge shotguns.  A single shot that my Dad gave me when I was 13 years old, and an old pump shotgun that I bought and cleaned up.  I think I only gave about $100 for it, which given the fact that it's a pump shotgun and has an adjustable choke, wasn't too bad of a deal.

Man, was it ever dirty inside of there.  I don't think it had ever been taken apart and cleaned.  Even the plastic wad fouling was so thick that I had to use a copper bore cleaner on the end of a cordless drill to clean it up.

Sheesh.

When people ignorant of guns make gun laws, you end up with ignorant gun laws.

Offline ShoMeMule

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2017, 12:02:05 PM »
I worked in a gun shop back in the 90's. I ran into the owner of the shop recently. As we shared stories about old customers and lost friends, we remembered the prices we used to sell guns for and compared them to what we see at gun shows now.
We used to sell Mosin Nagants at $59-79 each. Swedish Mausers around $100. We had some farmers who loved the old Mossberg bolt shotguns, esp. in 16ga. We never sold one for more then $59. I remember getting in some Colt King Cobras, stainless, and selling them for $399 each. Troopers and Official Police were always $200-250.  We had a matching numbers German Luger that went for $400 once.
Don't you wish you could take a wad of cash and go back to that time?

In 1966, bought a Colt Python at the Camp Butler, Okinawa base exchange for $89.95 and in 1985 a used, but not abused HK91 for $350. Yep, times have changed.
Why do I carry a gun? Because I am too old to fight, run or take an ass whippin'. I persevere to die at a rip old age, in my own bed, NOT at a time or place of another person's choosing!

Offline 808

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2017, 09:50:14 PM »
Ahh, memories! I worked in the Sporting Goods dep't of a JC Penney's back in the '70's. Remington 870's for a shade over $200 and 1100's for not a whole lot more. Bought my Trooper for $225 (which I still have) and think I spent $125 for my Ruger Mk2 target. I remember thinking $700 for a Python was "crazy". *sigh*

Offline Vinny

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2017, 11:43:39 PM »
OK, Let's put this into perspective.......A NEW Ford Mustang in 1966 was sticker priced below $2,500.

Post-election prices and deals today are better than ever on some exceptional firearms.  THESE are 'The Good Old Days!'

I only wish I had a bigger safe.   ;D

« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 05:18:46 PM by Vinny »
"Without Fear, there can be no Courage"
"Carpe Diem"

Offline 808

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2017, 03:27:29 PM »
True. I couldn't afford that new Mustang then and still can't afford a new Mustang now.  :P

anything