Author Topic: Hammer or Striker ?  (Read 1054 times)

Offline Barebow

Re: Hammer or Striker ?
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2017, 05:39:51 PM »
OK, This is from left field; but if your primary interest is HD and you're a pump-action guy; have you checked out the new Mossberg 590 Shockwave? Although it's BATFE approved; might be a problem in Maryland though. Check it out on Mossberg's website. New for 2017.

I live in the South. On my Shockwave I added a weaver rail and Streamlight TLR-4 laser/light 5+1 low-recoil Fiocchi #00 12 guage ammo. Rack the slide and you've sent a very strong message. If they keep com'in with bad intent; and you need stopping power, it's unbelievably effective.

Just say'in.

Otherwise....I agree with other comments; IMHO if you start with striker-fired you'll eventually come around to hammer-fired DA/SA's CZ's.

Thanks , Thinking ghost sights and a 18 or 20 inch barrel with a stock. Saw a timed reaction test and everyone was faster pumping a stock and hitting 4 targets. 

What trumps a 12 gauge for stopping power? They are 99% effective. Indoors even a .410 point blank is devastating from a shotgun barrel.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 06:08:36 PM by Barebow »

Offline Joe L

« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2017, 05:59:04 PM »
It is a pain in the ass to put back together after field stripping.

Definitely!!!

Joe
CZ-75B 9mm and Kadet, several SIG P226's, AR-15, Savage 308 bolt gun,

Offline Barebow

« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2017, 06:24:14 PM »
The first shot in DA is very similar to a revolver, I like to SEE how my gun is functioning.  For a tactical officer I could see a striker gun fitting that need, for home defense a hammer might even be preferable.  A Witness is basically a CZ with another name.......I would just handle both and see which your "gut" tells you is right for you  ;)

The steel compact Witness feels amazing. And the Ruger American feels good. You can replace the Novak front and rear sights and holds 2 more. I might end up with both over the next year or so and just go ahead an get the Witness 45 before its gone. Its $200 less than new and not even broke in yet.

Offline Vinny

« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2017, 06:45:44 PM »
Barebow,
An 18"-20" 12 gauge; good choice for HD. And it sounds like you're already very familiar .

My other Mossberg is a 20" 500 with an ATI stock and a J-point red-dot. The ATI stock has an adjustable L-O-P and chin-rest for quicker sight acquisition. The ATI grip is great but makes it hard to get at the slide release, so I added a release extension from Shoten. Magpul slide with a NEBO light. If you can't stop the threat with the recognizable sound of the shotgun slide racking....One shot of #00 is equivalent to 9 rounds of 32 caliber at 1200fps.

The 590 Shockwave is really good in tight quarters but there may be restrictions in your state. I checked first with our local Sherriff and because it's BATFE approved they were OK. I carry all the Mossberg BATFE paperwork with me. It's a hoot to shoot!

Now....about that sidearm...... 8)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 06:49:07 PM by Vinny »
"Without Fear, there can be no Courage"
"Carpe Diem"

Offline Firemanjones

« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2017, 06:47:06 PM »
I've had pistols with hammers since the 80's. I tried 4 strikers and only have the one now, the P99AS since it is DA/SA. No more strikes for me. I just enjoy shooting DA/SA pistols and I feel safer shooting and carrying them.
Safety First
Living the dream, driving a Fire Engine RETIRED shooting my Guns in FL and the Mountains of NC

Offline Barebow

« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2017, 02:32:20 PM »
The EAA Witness won out.  Will be picking it up in a week or so. It's a 2011 according to the serial number check from their website. Barely fired, and a good $125 less than Buds after adding Maryland's fees.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Offline Vinny

« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2017, 03:37:10 PM »
Barebow,
Great choice. CZ-style Hammer-fired DA/SA 45ACP; you got all the bases covered for Range, HD and Carry; at a great price.
Looks Nice!  Now I want one too!   8)
Give us a range report when you can.
"Carpe Diem"

Offline Barebow

« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2017, 04:25:50 PM »
Will do!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Offline Tanners Owner

« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2017, 08:22:23 PM »
Congrats, range report please.

Another recommendation to consider. Consider getting into IDPA or USPSA or steel challenge. While these sports are certainly not training, what I have found is they do help you gain comfort and confidence in your gun and gun handleing. It has for me, my wife and daughter.

Good luck and enjoy the new gun
Like a midget at a urinal, I'll have to keep on my toes

Offline Barebow

« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2017, 05:31:27 PM »
Congrats, range report please.

Another recommendation to consider. Consider getting into IDPA or USPSA or steel challenge. While these sports are certainly not training, what I have found is they do help you gain comfort and confidence in your gun and gun handleing. It has for me, my wife and daughter.

Good luck and enjoy the new gun

I will look into it, Thanks!

Offline vwpieces

• Bang, Bang, Bang
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2017, 04:26:48 PM »
Good choice, I have a full size Witness 45. With the Large Frame 45 you can get slides and mags for any other caliber you may desire. From 22LR to 10mm... I was able to find a deal on a 38 Super slide for mine so far. Neat cartridge to load for and shoot, from high power to powder puff loads and use the bullets I already have from loading 9mm.

It seems that all of the polymer and or striker fired handguns have left my possession. Aluminum, steel or stainless with hammers still remain. Not intended that way but that is how it is. I am perfectly content with it.
Sorry, had to remove the list of firearms due to server overload. I hope you now have a more pleasant experience on this forum.

"Hey, do you want to try my Glock?"
No thank you. Want to try my CZ P-01?
"Hell Yeah, DoooD, thats sweet"

Offline K3JB

« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2017, 10:29:43 PM »
I have enjoyed shooting hammer guns, but have moved over to the Sig P320c.
It shoots well, fells great in my hand and comes on target easily.
Nice we have options. I have shot the new P10c just purchased by one of my shooting mates,
I thought the trigger was rough. The pistol did shoot well, but his trigger was not smooth.
I look forward to CZ improving the first generation P10c.
"Blessed is the man, who having nothing to say, abstains from giving wordy evidence of the fact." - George Eliot

Offline Vinny

« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2017, 08:26:43 AM »
It's nice to have a good trigger right out of the box; but I usually wait until at least 500 rounds before evaluating, and by 1000 rounds it is what it is.

I also thought something wasn't right with the pre-production reports of a 4.5# trigger on the P-10c; then hearing rumors production was 'held back' to fix the triggers. I suspect the CZ legal department or the Feds said no-way.
But, after all is said and done; I wouldn't be surprised if the P-10c generates new interest in the P-07 and P-09. Not from CZ Fanboy metal-frame and hammer shooters, but from shooters that are AOK with plastic frames (there are many) but want to have the unique features the P-07 and P-09 offer like hammer fired, DA/SA and the ability to switch easily from decocker to manual safety for dedicated Defensive or Sport shooting.

I'll admit, I personally didn't give the P-07 or P-09 much of a look until all the fanfare over the P-10c. I won't be trading in my metal frame CZ's; but maybe my Glock 17 or HK VP-9. CZ Custom offers Optic pre-milled P-07's and P-09's that just might be my next purchase.

"Carpe Diem"

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2017, 09:21:15 AM »
It's got to be reliable.  It's got to be accurate (and that often depends on the expectations of the shooter/owner).  It's got to feel "right" in my hands.

I've been through Glock, XDM and M&P striker fired handguns.  Accuracy was better for some than others.  Reliability was better for some than others.  Some felt better in my hand than others.  None of them shoots groups like my P07 or P09.  None are any more reliable than my P07 or P09.  Only one brand/model felt as good in my hand as my P07 and P09.

I have no intention of buying another striker fired handgun.  Even if the P10's show up shooting at good at the P09's and P07's I'm too heavily invested in the hammer fired CZ's these days.

Some other things to consider.  If you're talking about the new CZ striker fired handgun you might want to check on the availability of holsters, spare parts, aftermarket parts, sights, etc.  It may be awhile before the new P10 matches the hammer fired CZ's for factory parts availability and custom parts availability.
Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.  So, if you see me walking the dogs with my SIG 556R, its okay.

Offline dominic135

« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2017, 12:15:45 AM »
I guess it depends on where you plan to use it. I just bought my first, striker fired, polymer gun. I bought it for weight... 19oz. unloaded. It was an M&P Shield 9mm. Cost is now well under $300 with the mail in rebate. Never owned anything but hammer fired and it took a lot of self argument to do it. The gun was purchased to CC, and I needed a light gun.
I once briefly owned a Kahr CM4043. It was a very well made gun, but too small for a .40 cal. I couldn't hit the side of a barn with it. It was also my first DA only trigger and I will never buy another. Kahr makes a damn fine all steel gun. Solid and beautifully made, but I hated the Double Action. It's not bad, it's just a matter of preference.
When I bought my first CZ75, I knew I would never find a better gun! I prefer hammers, always have and I think that is due to carrying a Colt 1911 in the service. I still love 1911's but they cannot compete with the quality of my CZ... at half the price!
I bought a Ruger American 9mm for my son. He loves it but when we go shooting, he always asks to use my CZ. I can tell he wishes he'd asked for one instead of the Ruger but he's too proud to admit it! It is very easy to take apart and clean, and I like shooting it but it's not a CZ.
Basically, if you don't mind the weight, go all steel. EAA has some very nice CZ clones but don't overlook the Tristar clones. You can own an all metal CZ75 clone for under $400 and they have some of the best reviews in the industry. I suggest you go to budsgunshop.com. Not only will you find some of the best pricing on the market, but you get to read the reviews from hundreds of happy customers. Best place to learn more!