Author Topic: Hammer or Striker ?  (Read 3922 times)

Offline spiritfox

Hammer or Striker ?
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2017, 07:23:30 AM »
Some gun owners like to stick to one type, others like myself like to work with many types.  I'm sure there is a lot of truth to sticking with one and be proficient with that firearm.  But what fun would that be. I usually carry a striker--Sig 320, HK VP9 or Walther PPQ.  But I own and love to shoot DA/SA decocker style such as Sig 226, or 1911 SAO or CZ Shadow selective SA. So you have to do what works best for you but I enjoy the variety and challenge of owning different handguns.

Offline Vinny

Re: Hammer or Striker ?
« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2017, 08:24:20 AM »
Some gun owners like to stick to one type, others like myself like to work with many types.  I'm sure there is a lot of truth to sticking with one and be proficient with that firearm.  But what fun would that be. I usually carry a striker--Sig 320, HK VP9 or Walther PPQ.  But I own and love to shoot DA/SA decocker style such as Sig 226, or 1911 SAO or CZ Shadow selective SA. So you have to do what works best for you but I enjoy the variety and challenge of owning different handguns.

I agree with the concept of keeping all your defensive guns the same platform. For me it's DA 1st round. Practice, practice, practice so in a pressure situation it's instinctual. Striker is OK too, or SAO; whatever you choose as long as the trigger is not too light. Picture your shaking hands as you hold a perp at gunpoint awaiting backup........Just Say'in.

Beyond that, shooting a variety of firearms like my S&W 357magnum wheelgun, 1911's, 22 plinkers, etc. is just plain fun! What's interesting to me is the P-07 and P-09 omega system which can be changed from decocker to manual safety. How easy is it to change over??
"Fear is a reaction, Courage is a decision"
"Carpe Diem"

Offline aliguori1963

« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2017, 09:25:43 AM »
Not being an avid hand gunner. Whos last hand gun purchase was a Ruger GP100 357mag revolver back in 1988. A lot has changed. I do like a EAA Witness compact in 45acp. My neighbor being a Tactical Officer in Baltimore. Thinks I would be missing out not picking a Striker fired handgun.

I have my choice narrowed down to the Witness 45 or a Ruger American in 45.

Opinions please. I'm swinging both ways. I like the feel of the steel Witness. But the features on the Ruger American 45 are also nice.
Quick unrelated question about your witness 45. Did the slide crack on yours ever?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Offline recoilguy

« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2017, 10:17:46 AM »
I think he is thinking about buying one and doesn't own one yet.

Why would you ask that question? Seems odd to me.

RCG
Its easy being a communist in a free country
What's hard is to be free in a communist country

Offline aliguori1963

« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2017, 10:18:55 AM »
I think he is thinking about buying one and doesn't own one yet.

Why would you ask that question? Seems odd to me.

RCG
My first witness 45s slide cracked on me, they sent me a new one for free but its 2 tone

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Offline Barebow

« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2017, 09:21:57 PM »
I think he is thinking about buying one and doesn't own one yet

RCG

Its all paid for now.  I plan on getting some real training this time.  Archery taught me you get better when challenged to learn more.  I'm sure hand gunning is the same.

Offline WVNed

« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2017, 09:43:00 PM »
Some of each. Prefer Hammer.
Nothing on my Witness has broke yet.
WHAHOOOoooooooooo