Author Topic: How much am I giving up with a decocker?  (Read 653 times)

Offline cook

How much am I giving up with a decocker?
« on: May 03, 2017, 12:57:16 PM »
Looking for a Production or Carry Optics pistol.  I'm considering the Tactical custom, with decocker, versus the shadow custom. I like the decocker for match use, but from what I have read there is a trade off in the crisp, smooth break of the trigger.  The question is, how much?  If I get the CZ 75 SP-01 Tactical custom from the custom shop, will the trigger be 'almost' as good?  Is there additional work I can have done on the Tactical Custom that will make it closer?  (Living in Phoenix, I'm lucky to have CZ's custom shop in town). 

Are there other trade offs besides the trigger I need to consider?

I appreciate your feedback. 
Thanks,
Pete

Offline cook

Re: How much am I giving up with a decocker?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2017, 01:08:12 PM »
Also, can the decocker model be tuned to match the shorter reset point on the shadow/safety models? 

Offline Tok36

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2017, 03:56:44 PM »
Generally a CZ decocker can be tuned up as effective as a safety model. I have yet to find a mechanical or design reason than a CZ decocker cannot be made as crisp, light or smooth as a safety model. Decockers are not as friendly to dissemble/reassemble as safety models there for they may be tuned and refined to the same degree less often. I believe that in part this is where the misconception comes from. Internet misinformation also plays into things.

Reset distance is an exception. The reduced distance of a Shadow reset is in part a product of the absence of the Firing Pin Block parts. It is not advised to remove the FPB from a CZ decocker. With the FPB intact the trigger reset distance will be longer than with the FPB removed. Now the reset distance of a decocker can still be reduced significantly from stock, but not to the degree of a Shadow or a standard safety model with the FPB removed.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 05:33:53 PM by Tok36 »
Will work for CZ pics! (including but not limited to all CZ clones)

Offline cook

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2017, 09:48:58 PM »
Tok36,
     Thank you.   Based on your response I picked us an sp-01 Tactical from the custom shop.  Wow.  I've already contacted the shop about the rescet work they perform.  I'm really liking the heavier weight and feel of the trigger. 
Thank you for the information.
Peter

Offline cz1969

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2017, 11:15:51 PM »
Nothing at all, just use it and you will get to love it.

Offline RenegadeDave

• Pontificating on the Process
    • My Youtube Page!
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2017, 05:44:33 AM »
The biggest thing you're giving up is ease of service and a shorter reset.  The reset, i wouldn't worry about.

With the decocker model you have a roll pin in the slide that can break with excessive dryfire (competition guns usually get dryfired) if you don't take precautions (O-Ring and snap caps).  Once a year you'll want to swap out the firing pin spring inside the slide.  On the Shadow variants, getting at this spring is really easy.  On the decocker model you'll be hammering out that roll pin to get to it. 

And yes, absolutely change this spring out.  The lightened spring is not as durable as the OEM spring. I have sheared coils on my practice gun about every 12 months. 
Check out my Youtube channel! I geek out on CZ's and post match videos. 
https://www.youtube.com/user/GoliathGT

anything