Author Topic: Minor dilemma  (Read 626 times)

Offline Ron M.

Minor dilemma
« on: May 04, 2017, 08:09:04 PM »
I gave my 3 inch 686+ to my daughter-in-law when she got her Texas LTC. She used it to shoot her qualification and is very comfortable with the gun.  Now I need to replace, can't decide between another 3 inch 686 or the new model 66 2 3/4 inch. The revolver will go off to 10 Ring Precision for an action job just like my old 686.

What says the forum?

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
Re: Minor dilemma
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2017, 08:30:45 PM »
The K frame is lighter.

The L frame is heavier - and much stronger.

Do you intend to shoot .357 magnum ammo, a lot?  Or now and then?

If only now and then the K frame should handle it.

If you're like me and shoot way more magnum ammo than .38 special ammo through your revolver I'd go with the L frame.  I have a 586 and 686.  I did have a 64.  I gave it to my nephew for a snake gun (with .38 special snake loads of course).
Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.  So, if you see me walking the dogs with my SIG 556R, its okay.

Offline John A.

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2017, 08:40:18 PM »
Really like my 66.  Hard to see myself without it anymore.  It kind of grew on me and now I can't shake it off.
When people ignorant of guns make gun laws, you end up with ignorant gun laws.

CZ Aficionado

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2017, 11:13:25 PM »
I'm all about changing things up.....why not try something different. If the 686 was that important you probably would have kept it.....so one vote for 66 with 2 3/4"   :)

Offline PA_Lefty

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2017, 11:22:16 PM »
I have a 4" 586 and don't see any reason to move down to a 66.  If you were happy with the 686 and your daughter is happy with the 686 probably tells you all you need to know.

Offline copemech

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2017, 12:39:49 AM »
The K frame is lighter.

The L frame is heavier - and much stronger.

Do you intend to shoot .357 magnum ammo, a lot?  Or now and then?

If only now and then the K frame should handle it.

If you're like me and shoot way more magnum ammo than .38 special ammo through your revolver I'd go with the L frame.  I have a 586 and 686.  I did have a 64.  I gave it to my nephew for a snake gun (with .38 special snake loads of course).

Which is a K and which is an L?  I allways liked the looks of a 686with at least a 4 inch barrel in stainless, but never got one. It is still a big "hog leg" pistol so barrel length is a non issue as I would want a better range gun.

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2017, 07:56:28 AM »
The L frames (stainless is the 686 and 681 - I think, and the blued is the 586 and the 581 - 681 and 581 were the fixed sight guns when the models were introduced in the early 80's) are larger than the K frames. 

There is a butt load of K frame guns out there.  The frame and cylinder of the K frame guns are smaller/weaker than the L frame guns.  The grips/frame under the grips are the same size.  So K frame grips would fit L frame guns and people could buy a stronger built .357 magnum and have the same "feel" as the K frame revolvers they'd used for years.

The L frame was designed/built to answer problems some LE departments were having with the smaller/weaker K frame revolvers when fired with a lot of .357 magnum ammo.  Back in the early 80's what you read in the gun magazines was that the K frames were meant to be used with .38 special ammo for practice and qualification and the .357 magnum ammo was for street/duty use.  There were multiple lawsuits when LEOs shot people with ammo they had not trained with or qualified with.  The result was increased use of .357 magnum ammo for training/qualification and that caused increased wear/tear of the K framed guns.

My 6" barreled 586 is the second most accurate .357 I've ever shot.  I had a buddy with a 6" barreled S&W M14 (the target/match .38 special) that shot better groups than my 586.  It is and awesome handgun.  After shooting my 586 the Chief ordered a 6" 686 and a front break holster and carried it for a few months.  He eventually got tired of the weight and the issues of carrying a 6" revolver on your duty belt when driving a car/sitting at a desk (two things Chiefs do more than the rest of us guys did).
Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.  So, if you see me walking the dogs with my SIG 556R, its okay.

Offline Ron M.

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2017, 09:47:25 AM »
I mostly shoot a mild handloaded 158gr LSWC running about 800fps on a 357 case. I carry with a hot loaded 180gr Keith style bullet for woods walking. If carrying when around town it's loaded with Buffalo Bore's Short Barrel 125gr Barnes TAC-XP ammo. I use the same 125gr B. B. ammo in my Ruger 357 LCR daily  carry gun.

My daughter-in-law prefers the Buffalo Bore 38Special 158gr +P LSWCHP for carry. She practices with my son's handloaded 158gr SWC 38 special ammo. the weight of the 686 make the hot Buffalo Bore ammo comfortable for her to shoot. I like the idea of her having that 7th shot the 686+ gives her.

CZ Aficionado: It's not that the gun is or isn't important to me, it's my daughter-in-law and grand kids that are very important to me. I wanted her to have a gun she's confident in and can shoot well.

The new model 66 has a done away with the flat bottom forcing cone, that was the most common point of failure in the old M66 and M19.

As I was typing this the wife gave me a dope slap and told me to just buy the M66 2 3/4 inch and a 686 4 or 5 inch. She wants to try the M66 with the B. B. 158gr +p 38Special load, her current EDC is a Ruger LCR 327 Federal. She said she'll pay for the M66. After 34 years (35 in June) of marriage, I'm reminded yet again why I love my wife.

Offline Tyerone

• Saving the planet.
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2017, 09:59:42 AM »
Was not going to recommend the even shorter barrel (didn't hear uou complain about the 3" not being handy) but the wife's doubling of the pot, OH BOY!  I still like the 3 inch ALONG with the 4 to 6 inch bonus gun!  Maybe see if your daughter would like to "upgrade" her carry piece to the shorter version kept stock and trade back your tuned wonder?

Offline John A.

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2017, 10:57:34 AM »
It's not that the gun is or isn't important to me, it's my daughter-in-law and grand kids that are very important to me. I wanted her to have a gun she's confident in and can shoot well.

This is the best thing I have read in a while.

Too many times people get caught up in the marketing side of things, and forget about the human side.

The human side is the most important.

When people ignorant of guns make gun laws, you end up with ignorant gun laws.

Offline Ron M.

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2017, 12:06:07 PM »
Picked up the model 66 this morning. Dropped it off at Ranger Point Precision for an action job. I haven't used these guys but hear very good things about them. Rather then ship the revolver to 10 Ring Precision in San Antonio, I like being able to drop the gun off in person. RPP is in Cypress, TX about 30 minutes drive from my home. If I like their work the 686 will go to them when I pick it up the model 66 next week. Reasonable pricing on the work too, $160 for a Complete action job on a double action revolver which includes honing and lightening the action, cutting a 60 degree crown, polishing, numbering and beveling the chambers, cutting the forcing cone to 11 degrees, and springs if needed. 10 Ring charges $185 plus shipping for the same work.

Offline Ron M.

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2017, 08:02:17 PM »
Picked up my model 66 from Ranger Point Precision, VERY happy with their work. 7 pound 2 ounce DA and 2 pound 15 ounce SA pull, just about perfect for me. Installed a Pachmayr Diamond Pro grip and went off to the range.   Ran 100 rounds of my mild 357 target loads and 24 of Black Hills 125gr JHP. perfect function and excellent accuracy. Using my handloads I was able to get three inch fifteen yard groups shooting DA controlled pairs. Shooting slow SA I was able to get down to around an inch and a half. With the Black Hills ammo my controlled pairs were a about two and a half inches and slow fire SA was a roughly an inch and a half. Next I need to run a few boxes of my preferred carry and hunting loads plus lots more target/rabbit ammo.

Now I'm tempted to buy the "L" frame 2.75 inch model 69 44Magnum.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 08:05:01 PM by Ron M. »

Offline Tanners Owner

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2017, 09:26:37 PM »
I'm a huge fan of the 686, my 686-4 is one of my favorite guns. That said, have been shooting my GP 100, one of the 3" Wiley Clapp versions and must say, it's fast becoming another favorite.

If you haven't considered one- take a look, worst that can happen is, it confirmed your your initial intent to get a smith, best is it gives you another option.
Like a midget at a urinal, I'll have to keep on my toes