Author Topic: Got My SP-01 Exactly How I Like It... But CGW Sear Question  (Read 1501 times)

Offline Screwball

Got a call from my gunsmith today, saying he got the hammer installed on my SP-01... of course made it out there during a downpour. Figured I'd show it off with a few pictures.

I love older spur hammers (whenever I swap in the stainless parts on my SR1911... a spur hammer will be going in). Really like the look. Had the gunsmith use a CGW adjustable sear, which brings me to a question. On the documentation for the sear, CGW said the safety will function with the hammer in any of the three positions... but only should be used when fully cocked.

My question is can there be any damage from engaging the safety, just in a position other than full cocked? I don't plan on carrying it like that, being I prefer safety off when the gun is in DA, but questioning it in case someone handling it engages the safety. From how I read it, have the safety on with it at rest/half cocked, would cause damage when the trigger is pulled... in that condition. But want to be sure just moving the safety wouldn't be an issue.

Wondering how much I'd have to be on top of it if I hand the gun off to someone that is looking at it. I already cringe when people dry fire it on an empty chamber. I'm more familiar with the Beretta 92, and it isn't recommended to carry it half cocked, as an impact on the hammer would transfer to the sear... where if it was at full rest, it would be a cosmetic issue on just the hammer. Not sure if it was a similar situation, where going on safe is ok, just not pulling the trigger in that situation.

Thanks for any input on that.

Figured I'd add a couple other shots of the gun, as I take pictures of different setups in case a gun ever needs to be reported stolen/lost (keep a record of it, modifications, and serial number/price/date purchased on my iPhone via the myGuns app). One with the Kadet kit installed...

And one with the meat tenderizer on it...

I like flexibility with my guns, but also like unique stuff like that. That Tactical Block definitely fits there, but I may go to the Oaks gun show later this month and have a holster made for the gun with the Block mounted (not the bayonet). Completely poops and giggles with that... but it is what gives me enjoyment with collecting guns.

Regarding the gun, CGW screws and guide rod... which those and the barrel were cera-plated by CCR (similar to NP3). Eventually, I'm probably going to do the rest of the gun in it. Grips are Hogue G10 Piranhas in black.

Offline cntrydawwwg

Re: Got My SP-01 Exactly How I Like It... But CGW Sear Question
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2017, 09:50:28 PM »
Pretty cool. Just flipping the safety on will not cause any damage. Pulling the trigger with safety on at hammer down, or half cock can and has caused damage. The trigger can be pulled past the safety in these positions.
   Before I hand anyone a pistol I check that it's unloaded and show them it's unloaded. Then a quick education on how the pistol works, what's ok to do, what's not ok, etc. it's your firearm, if they don't want a quick tutorial, they don't need to touch your property. JMHO.
If guns are outlawed.........
 Only outlaws will have guns.

Offline Screwball

Re: Got My SP-01 Exactly How I Like It... But CGW Sear Question
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2017, 10:24:56 PM »
Pretty cool. Just flipping the safety on will not cause any damage. Pulling the trigger with safety on at hammer down, or half cock can and has caused damage. The trigger can be pulled past the safety in these positions.
   Before I hand anyone a pistol I check that it's unloaded and show them it's unloaded. Then a quick education on how the pistol works, what's ok to do, what's not ok, etc. it's your firearm, if they don't want a quick tutorial, they don't need to touch your property. JMHO.

Roger that, thanks for confirmation on that. I really appreciate it. Just looking at the action with the slide off, it seemed like there was no mechanical issue... other than the trigger overriding it. But far from an expert in the design, so rather ask and learn.

At a range, I only pass cleared (open chamber/cylinder) firearms, but I try not to underestimate people. If I tell someone not to do something, it is like a 50/50 chance they either listen 100% or do exactly what I asked them not to do. But makes me put the CZ in the "look with your eyes" category. The only other guns in that category are my S&W 629-1 (my father gave me, and really don't want someone treating it like crap) and Beretta 92 Brigadier Inox (first new pistol I bought).

anything