Author Topic: Synthetic brake caliper grease for slides and barrel lugs?  (Read 627 times)

Offline ckohler3

I have a big bottle of this grease in my garage. Would it be good in small amounts on my slide rails and barrel lugs?

Permatex® Ceramic Extreme Brake Parts Lubricant

Category: Specialty Lubricants - Brakes
A 100% synthetic formula, coupled with real ceramic solids make this premium brake lubricant our longest lasting, most temperature resistant way to silence brake noise. Effective from -50°F to 3000°F (-46°C to 1649°C), this product maintains its lubricating integrity under the most extreme conditions. Resistant to corrosion and contaminants, it will not wash out. For metal-to-metal contact only.

Online Scarlett Pistol

Re: Synthetic brake caliper grease for slides and barrel lugs?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2017, 12:16:24 AM »
Curious to hear what people thinn
"In God I trust. All others must supply data."
"I respect that the choice of pistols is very personal. Although, if someone is devoid at least one CZ, they've chosen the wrong pistols"  - Scarlett Pistol
1) CZ 75 Compact Classic - 9mm
2) CZ SP-01 - 9mm
3) "SP-01 Compact" (CZ 75 Compact)

Offline G20

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2017, 10:33:45 AM »
The words "coupled with ceramic solids" caught my eye. There are a lot of ceramic sharpening and polishing stones available that remove steel. What you have may be entirely different, though. I would investigate a little more before slapping that stuff on a firearm.

Offline Vinny

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2017, 11:06:21 AM »
It 'might' be OK, but lubrication engineers and chemists spend a lot of time researching the right blend for specific applications. I'm not that smart.

I've been using the Lucas Extreme Duty gun oil recommended by Sig, Springfield and other top gun mfgrs; maintains high viscosity and resists high temp breakdown. $5.95 in the handy needle-point applicator bottle to put just the right quantity exactly where you want it.  1 oz. lasts a very long time that way. IMHO it's Cheap Insurance! Just say'in.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 12:00:53 PM by Vinny »
"Without Fear, there can be no Courage"
"Carpe Diem"

Offline Earl Keese

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2017, 11:51:14 AM »
I've tried a bunch of different gun lubricants. I use leftover synthetic motor oil. Works great. Too many negatives with grease.

Offline ckohler3

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2017, 10:06:56 PM »
it's really slick stuff but I'm not going to gamble damaging my gun. I think I might try fluid film. I've seen nothing but great testimonials all over forums. the ceramic solids make me nervous too. I think it's so fine it won't hurt anything but not worth the risk.

Online copemech

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2017, 01:41:56 AM »
I've tried a bunch of different gun lubricants. I use leftover synthetic motor oil. Works great. Too many negatives with grease.

This is true, and with regards to the original question, that grease is not meant for your application at all, and too thick.

Offline Winkel

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2017, 07:29:12 PM »

This is what I use.  I put it in left over eye drop bottles and cut it about 50/50 with some DuPont Teflon penetrating oil.  It drops the viscosity a little and adds some Teflon.  You can see that it has settled when the little bottles sit around for a while so you have to shake it before use to get the Teflon to mix well.
It's slippery stuff and stays put pretty well.  It also stays 'wet' for a long time. 

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2017, 11:20:59 PM »
So does synthetic motor oil/ Mobil 1. :)  I shoot in the South Texas climate.  If I travel to the North or to higher altitudes,  no problems with the lube in the guns.

Offline whitecap

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2017, 02:01:38 PM »
I'm with 1SOW on the synthetic motor oil but I do add a "splash"(-30% ) of trans fluid. This helps hold the carbon in suspension and is a great cleaner. Just like Brill Cream, "a little dab will do ya'".

Offline rhart

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2017, 06:45:03 PM »
I seriously doubt that the grease would harm the pistol. Ceramic greases are some of the most lubricious available and a little dab on the rails and slide lock pin could make the gun run slick. JMHO - YMMV.

CZ Aficionado

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2017, 11:25:12 PM »

What are the negatives........what 've always been tols is oil attracts dirt/grime......grease does not attract them.  Grease, and I'm talking a firearm compatible type, is better in hotter climates than oil that may thin too much in extreme heat, like 100 degrees. I use both, but then again I clean my firearms pretty regular.

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2017, 08:05:28 AM »
The words "coupled with ceramic solids" caught my eye. There are a lot of ceramic sharpening and polishing stones available that remove steel. What you have may be entirely different, though. I would investigate a little more before slapping that stuff on a firearm.

Calipers don't move like a slide does.  I'd be afraid the ceramic particles would increase wear on your slide/frame rails.

A brake caliper doesn't cycle back and forth like a slide on the frame.  It barely moves, occasionally.  The piston in the caliper moves every time you hit the brake.  The caliper sits on the spindle and only moves to compensate for disc brake pad wear.  You don't want it to rust in place (seen that before, too) and you need a high temperature water resistant grease so it doesn't disappear before it does it's job.
Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.  So, if you see me walking the dogs with my SIG 556R, its okay.

Offline Earl Keese

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2017, 06:51:24 PM »

What are the negatives........what 've always been tols is oil attracts dirt/grime......grease does not attract them.  Grease, and I'm talking a firearm compatible type, is better in hotter climates than oil that may thin too much in extreme heat, like 100 degrees. I use both, but then again I clean my firearms pretty regular.
Negatives? Cold weather use for one. I don't mean sub-zero temps or anything extreme, even at an indoor range grease slowed my Kadet enough to cause cycling issues. I've been using CLP the longest with good results and switched to Mobil 1 some time ago- it's free. I don't see any appreciable difference in performance. If it can keep the engine in my truck running well with 320,000 (45k/yr)miles on it, it's good enough for my guns.

Offline Winkel

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2017, 08:10:12 PM »
I agree with several of the points made here.  Mobil 1 works great.  I may have to try the ATF Mobil 1 mix. 

You could try the grease and keep a close eye on it but it will stiffen up a little when it gets cold and like was also stated here, a caliper is not a reciprocating application. 

I would guess the point of the ceramic particles is to keep extreme pressure between the two sliding members, from squeezing the grease out of the interface area.  The grease keeps the pins in your calipers from rusting up, and it stays put. 

Again, you could try it but I'd take a picture of the rails cleaned before hand and clean and re-check it from time to time.  I'll bet you'll see accelerated wear.

This is all just a guess though.