Author Topic: Synthetic brake caliper grease for slides and barrel lugs?  (Read 2279 times)

Offline Vinny

Re: Synthetic brake caliper grease for slides and barrel lugs?
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2017, 10:00:16 PM »
Although I haven't used it; Lucas and Amsoil do make gun grease. There's also mil-spec TW 25B. Grease has the advantage of resisting displacement by water and helps keep dirt out. Useful for hunting and military applications; applying it to flat external areas like handgun slide; slide rails of shotguns, etc. But unless you plan to expose your firearms to rain and mud; IMHO grease may not provide a benefit, and may cause cycling issues. Remember, it's the oils in the grease that do the lubricating.

I'm not exposing my handguns to water and mud; so I just use the Lucas extreme-duty gun oil; the manufacturer's recommended lubricant for my $600+ handguns. A whopping $5.95 investment.  :D

"Fear is a reaction, Courage is a decision"
"Carpe Diem"

Offline Earl Keese

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2017, 11:07:40 PM »
I'm open to trying new things and try to avoid being closed minded. I do have some CGW grease on the bench and use it for lots of different things. One suitable application for grease is AR triggers(according to Bill Geissele). I bought a pistol once that had been lubed with white lithium. That took some effort to correct as it hardens with heat. I tried Froglube too, wasn't impressed at all. For the most part though, pick your poison. I don't think I've heard of anybody ruining a gun by lubricating it properly with the product of their choice.

Offline coolbox

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2017, 11:27:02 PM »
I have used fully synthetic mobil oil and ATF III mixture with excellent reaults.
I then modified it by adding MoS2 additive (10%) to above mixture. It turns black, but works like a charm.
I now use above mixture with white lithium grease (1:1). I have found this to be the best for warm climates (haven't tried in sub freezing), and am using this for over 4 years now. The lube stays for over 500 rounds, and is almost as good as it was when applied. I usually relube every 300 to 400 rounds, and while I find out that relubing is not exactly needed, I do for the pleasure of it!
MoS2 has its own benefits, but I only use it in addition to a strong base lube mixture for enhanced assurance.
Life is too short to waste on a bad trigger pull