Author Topic: The Four Frames.  (Read 3348 times)

Offline Birds Away

• OSCM(SW/AW) USN (Ret.)
The Four Frames.
« on: May 08, 2017, 09:42:01 AM »
In my CZ travels I have come across four different frame types on CZ Compacts.   I'd love to hear about any you might have seen that don't fall into one of these categories.

The first and most common is what I call the divot frame.  You will find these on steel frame compacts.  I have seen these with safeties and, on surplus guns, with decockers.

You can see the indentation or divot at the front of the frame.

The second is the PCR or 45 degree frame.  I have only seen these in alloy b[/img]ut I have seen them with both decockers and, on two occasions, with safeties.

You can clearly see the 45 degree angle cut on the front of the frame.

The third type is the railed frame.  These are found on P01 models in alloy and on what has become known as the SP01 compact in steel.

The fourth and least common type (I've only ever seen one) has no indentations, divots, cuts or rail. 

As you can see the frame has not of the above listed characteristics.  This one is in alloy.  I'd love to know if anyone else has seen one of these.  I'd also like to know if anyone has seen any other variations of the compact frames.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 05:09:14 PM by Birds Away »
In Memoriam 04/02/2021

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
Re: The Four Frames.
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2017, 10:52:16 AM »
First picture didn't show up, but you're right, and there really hasn't been a lot of rhyme or reason to them, has there. Probably some of them are driven by contract stipulations, perhaps.

Offline Luvdog

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2017, 10:58:15 AM »
Is the last one a custom grip chop?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Iluvboost

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2017, 11:53:12 AM »

Good question but I don't think there are full size cz75's in alloy?

Offline rbmuse

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2017, 12:44:10 PM »
In my CZ travels I have come across four different frame types on CZ Compacts.   I'd love to hear about any you might have seen that don't fall into one of these categories.

The first and most common is what I call the divot frame.  You will find these on steel frame compacts.  I have seen these with safeties and, on surplus guns, with decockers.

The second is the PCR or 45 degree frame.  I have only seen these in alloy but I have seen them with both decockers and, on two occasions, with safeties.

The third type is the railed frame.  These are found on P01 models in alloy and on what has become known as the SP01 compact in steel.

The fourth and least common type (I've only ever seen one) has no indentations, divots, cuts or rail. 

As you can see the frame has not of the above listed characteristics.  This one is in alloy.  I'd love to know if anyone else has seen one of these.  I'd also like to know if anyone has seen any other variations of the compact frames.
First photo did not show. Is it like mine. Steel frame and slide and it it decockers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline rbmuse

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2017, 12:50:44 PM »

The second is the PCR or 45 degree frame.  I have only seen these in alloy but I have seen them with both decockers and, on two occasions, with safeties.

First photo did not show. Is it like mine. Steel frame and slide and it it decockers

Offline Birds Away

• OSCM(SW/AW) USN (Ret.)
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2017, 05:11:01 PM »
First picture didn't show up, but you're right, and there really hasn't been a lot of rhyme or reason to them, has there. Probably some of them are driven by contract stipulations, perhaps.
Okay, fixed the first picture.
I would love to know more about the CZ contract with Israel.  Did the contract allow enough latitude for CZ to just try some things out or did it specify all of these different variations?
In Memoriam 04/02/2021

Offline Birds Away

• OSCM(SW/AW) USN (Ret.)
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2017, 05:11:51 PM »

Not sure what they would have chopped.  I've never seen a full size with an alloy frame.
In Memoriam 04/02/2021

Offline Birds Away

• OSCM(SW/AW) USN (Ret.)
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2017, 05:16:57 PM »
I just bought this off GB.  The seller verified that it has an alloy frame.  I should have it in my hands later this week.

In Memoriam 04/02/2021

Offline Earl Keese

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2017, 05:31:10 PM »
I just bought this off GB.  The seller verified that it has an alloy frame.  I should have it in my hands later this week.

Stuart has one of these for sale in the classifieds.

CZ Aficionado

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2017, 06:01:54 PM »

I'm pretty sure the poster asking about the "custom grip chop" is referring to the Hogue Full-Size Rubber grips being cut to fit the compact frame.....since Hogue only makes the full size grips...I've cut them down myself in the past  ;)

Offline Birds Away

• OSCM(SW/AW) USN (Ret.)
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2017, 06:12:55 PM »

I'm pretty sure the poster asking about the "custom grip chop" is referring to the Hogue Full-Size Rubber grips being cut to fit the compact frame.....since Hogue only makes the full size grips...I've cut them down myself in the past  ;)

Oh, okay.  My mistake.
In Memoriam 04/02/2021

Offline Psyop96

The Four Frames.
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2017, 06:35:13 PM »
The last type with minimal contouring appears to be the first generation type of aluminum alloy frame for both decocker and safety versions. One can assume that the variations reflect an evolution due to customer demands (railed for the Czech Police contract...I believe the original transverse slot was a proprietary design) and engineering improvements. There was a 1996 decocker alloy frame on the auction site in mid-2016. The mag release appears to be slightly different between Birds Away's safety version and the decocker.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 06:38:37 PM by Psyop96 »

Offline Birds Away

• OSCM(SW/AW) USN (Ret.)
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2017, 07:46:07 PM »
Thanks Psyop, as always.  Now I need to keep an eye out for one of the decockers.
In Memoriam 04/02/2021

Offline Birds Away

• OSCM(SW/AW) USN (Ret.)
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2017, 07:48:03 PM »
Just as an FYI my safety version is a '97.
In Memoriam 04/02/2021