Author Topic: SP-01 Shadow front FO sight  (Read 372 times)

Offline copemech

SP-01 Shadow front FO sight
« on: May 09, 2017, 11:24:38 PM »
So does anyone know what front sight height is standard on these ? OR just how to measure it in the slide to tell what you have and know which one to order to change it?

I love this gun and after some work it is brilliant and becoming a favorite, but the POA/POI is just beyond anything I can tolerate. I am talking about POI being way too high, and although I have not done detailed testing, I would guess something like 3 inches off at 10 yds, mayby 6-8 inches off at 25 yds, however it did seem to hit the large steel plate well when levelled at 200 yds! ???

And I am not talking aboit a run of the mill Lolipop sight picture either, I am talking about having to add a lot of air to the lollipop at closer ranges and it id driving me nuts, as the ONLY gun in my assortment like this.

Yes, I will have to do further measures and testing to accurately do the math for the height change, but I do not know that I could buy the adjustable rear that would go low enough for the stock front, and since I may wind up installing a red dot on the rear, the front is cheap enough to change for now.  I just do not seem to be able to shoot the red dot quickly like on steel dualing tree.

Thoughts?

Offline SPO1SHADOW

• Armed and Deplorable
Re: SP-01 Shadow front FO sight
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2017, 05:59:47 AM »
Mine came with a 5.5mm tall or Dawson .150 tall FO front. Which was also too short for me and shot high. I replaced it with a Dawson .110 wide, .160 tall front and problem solved. You can do the math on Dawson's page and find the correct height for yours.

Offline 1steelshooter

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2017, 11:04:02 PM »
I also have a .160" high dawson front sight on my shadow. At 15yards it shoots to point of aim.

Offline copemech

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2017, 11:30:05 PM »
Mine came with a 5.5mm tall or Dawson .150 tall FO front. Which was also too short for me and shot high. I replaced it with a Dawson .110 wide, .160 tall front and problem solved. You can do the math on Dawson's page and find the correct height for yours.

Thanks for the info and I think it will be much easier for me to go with a Dawson as compared to figuring out the metric ones from CZ. Tonight I measured my stock one at .160 in, and will have to use that as a starting point I suppose.

Once again, I will have to try to get a more precise measure on the offset at say a measured 15 or 20 yds, and because my old eyes are no longer great at open sights, I will get a bit of comparison data from some of my shooting buds using my gun on a grid target and a rest.

I ran some simple numbers on the Dawson site, and in YOUR change of .010, that is roughly an inch at 20 yds. I wish mine was that close, as my current estimate is about four or five times that. Oh well. And I will also tell you that I am not typically overly picky on this as I just learn the gun, normally. 

Thanks again, O0

Offline SPO1SHADOW

• Armed and Deplorable
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2017, 05:56:35 AM »
"I ran some simple numbers on the Dawson site, and in YOUR change of .010, that is roughly an inch at 20 yds. I wish mine was that close, as my current estimate is about four or five times that. Oh well. And I will also tell you that I am not typically overly picky on this as I just learn the gun, normally"

That is why I suggested the sight math. Everyone sees their sights a little different. Once you get a good reading on your groups Dawson's sight calculator is a very good tool.

Offline kato01

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2017, 07:37:37 AM »
.160 on my Dawson front sight as well. POA out to 20 yds.

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2017, 12:37:19 AM »
An old guy with old eyes. Using heat (a bic lighter) and spinning the front sight FO rod ball:
I prefer the  CZ front FO sights,  because I can spin the FO dot to the size that works best for me .  A 1mm FO rod is small, making it good for precise aiming.  A 1mm FO will also "spin" to around 1.5mm which grabs your attention faster for closer targets. 
With a captured FO rod this adjustment isn't possible. :-\

Offline 1steelshooter

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2017, 03:40:11 PM »
An old guy with old eyes. Using heat (a bic lighter) and spinning the front sight FO rod ball:
I prefer the  CZ front FO sights,  because I can spin the FO dot to the size that works best for me .  A 1mm FO rod is small, making it good for precise aiming.  A 1mm FO will also "spin" to around 1.5mm which grabs your attention faster for closer targets. 
With a captured FO rod this adjustment isn't possible. :-\

Actually with the dawson sight you can spin it to be about 1.5mm. The bulb just won't fit into the recess so it will look like other fiber optic sights.

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2017, 02:12:09 AM »
Good to know,  thanks.

anything