Author Topic: Grease,Oil,Both  (Read 1116 times)

Offline ttrashman1

Grease,Oil,Both
« on: May 10, 2017, 08:54:54 PM »
Field stripping & Complete teardown
Just want to know where do you grease and where do you oil. What products do you use.
When I go to the range I put about 300-500 rounds down the pipe. I enjoy cleaning my guns but I don't know how to properly lube it. 9mm Spo1-tact,938& RO

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk

cz75 sp01 Tactical 9mm
Springfield Range Officer 9mm

Offline pewpew4life

Re: Grease,Oil,Both
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2017, 09:54:29 PM »
General rule is if it slides, grease it. Oil everything else. Me, I grease the rails. Oil the lugs, springs, hammer hooks, and trigger bar (between frame and trigger bar).

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

CZ Aficionado

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2017, 10:13:31 PM »
General rule is if it slides, grease it. Oil everything else. Me, I grease the rails. Oil the lugs, springs, hammer hooks, and trigger bar (between frame and trigger bar).

Pretty sound advice.....main thing is to use some medium, whether oil or grease or a combination of the two, where there are moving parts touching one another. I would suggest staying with gun specific lubricants until your more comfortable with what your doing. The more you clean and lube your gun, you will get a feel for how much to apply in the different areas......just one of those things that one learns by trial and error  :)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 10:17:12 PM by CZ Aficionado »

Offline cntrydawwwg

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2017, 11:52:37 PM »
OP, a lot also depends on where you reside. I see in your profile you live in FL., so doing as pewpew posted should be no problem. Here in MT., I stay away from grease except maybe in the summer. JMO.
If guns are outlawed.........
 Only outlaws will have guns.

Offline jstanfield103

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2017, 09:34:26 PM »
All good advice.
Aim Small, Miss Small

Offline coolbox

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2017, 08:46:54 AM »
I have used fully synthetic mobil oil and ATF III mixture with excellent reaults.
I then modified it by adding MoS2 additive (10%) to above mixture. It turns black, but works like a charm.
I now use above mixture with white lithium grease (1:1). I have found this to be the best for warm climates (haven't tried in sub freezing), and am using this for over 4 years now. The lube stays for over 500 rounds, and is almost as good as it was when applied. I usually relube every 300 to 400 rounds, and while I find out that relubing is not exactly needed, I do for the pleasure of it!
MoS2 has its own benefits, but I only use it in addition to a strong base lube mixture for enhanced assurance.

I use painters brush to apply it, and use it on slides, spring, barrel lugs etc etc. I might try using oil on springs (sear, trigger) going forward, and then top it off with this grease mixture.
Life is too short to waste on a bad trigger pull

Offline ttrashman1

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2017, 09:14:40 AM »
A lot of sound advice as expected. Thank You

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk

cz75 sp01 Tactical 9mm
Springfield Range Officer 9mm

Offline 808

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2017, 10:44:24 PM »

This works for me. I used to use CLP on everything but have moved over to Super Lube Synthetic grease and oils. Stuff has been working great and it's considerably less expensive than gun specific lubes. YMMV

Offline Joe L

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2017, 06:18:19 AM »
You will get a lot of opinions about lubrication of firearms.  Some folks want the gun to look dry and not stain a holster or clothing, others want it almost dripping so they know everything is wet.  Some folks have harsh winters or harsh summers.  Others like to tinker and experiment.  A whole separate topic is lubrication of .22 pistols. 

Here are my two conclusions from many rounds over several firearms and conditions from 10F to 110F:

As long as all the moving parts except a firing pin have some lubrication, they will be fine from a wear standpoint.
If the lube is too thick in the winter, the gun will get sluggish.
If the lube is too thin in the summer, the lubricant can disappear during a range session.

So, I use a light grease (Slide Glide Lite) on the barrel, lugs, and slide rails in the summer, and add some oil in the winter, or just use oil in the winter.

Oil on the frame parts, grease on the hammer hooks and sear face, year round,  just for consistency. 

Adding oil to a filthy guns works.  A dry dirty gun is the worst condition you can have as far as wear goes.  A wet dirty frame will run forever.   

So find what you like to use and use it until you want to try something else.  Never let it go dry or you will have wear and malfunctions.  Never let it get too viscous or you will have malfunctions.

Tolerance for gun residue build up in places where it doesn't matter varies from shooter to shooter.  I have a very high tolerance for residue, zero tolerance for dry guns. 

Axle grease is usually too heavy for me, WD-40 is too light for me, anything in between seems to work for someone and each of us have our favorites.  If the gun is not sluggish and not dry, it's OK. 

This is fun.     

Joe
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 06:20:53 AM by Joe L »
CZ-75B 9mm and Kadet, 97B"E", two P-09's, P-07, P-10C

Offline eastman

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2017, 07:36:35 PM »
I have many years of using Breakfree CLP as my lube on firearms (25+). Lately I have been trying out the OTIS products (especially O85 and the spray Dry Lube), and they are working well.
I don't look like my avatar!

Offline Vinny

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2017, 10:05:46 AM »
I've been using the Lucas Extreme Duty Gun Oil with the needle applicator bottle, only $5.95 and works great. The needle applicator helps to put the right amount right where I want it. Came with my Sigs and Springfield 1911's so I figured it must be good enough for the factory to recommend it's use. Enough viscosity and heat resistance to stay in place and seems really slick and slippery even on the slide. Also very easy clean-up as it seems to keep the grime in suspension so you just wipe it all away quickly.

However, I get PewPew's suggestion that if it slides, grease it. I've tried TW-25B at 3X the cost. Doesn't seem any better than the Lucas Extreme Duty Oil. But I just ordered some Lucas Extreme Duty Gun Grease for the slides to try. Anyone used the Lucas grease?

Joe's probably right though; any decent lube is better than nothing.

Thanks for the suggestions.
"Without Fear, there can be no Courage"
"Carpe Diem"

Offline pewpew4life

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2017, 11:51:07 AM »
I've been using the Lucas Extreme Duty Gun Oil with the needle applicator bottle, only $5.95 and works great. The needle applicator helps to put the right amount right where I want it. Came with my Sigs and Springfield 1911's so I figured it must be good enough for the factory to recommend it's use. Enough viscosity and heat resistance to stay in place and seems really slick and slippery even on the slide. Also very easy clean-up as it seems to keep the grime in suspension so you just wipe it all away quickly.

However, I get PewPew's suggestion that if it slides, grease it. I've tried TW-25B at 3X the cost. Doesn't seem any better than the Lucas Extreme Duty Oil. But I just ordered some Lucas Extreme Duty Gun Grease for the slides to try. Anyone used the Lucas grease?

Joe's probably right though; any decent lube is better than nothing.

Thanks for the suggestions.
I've heard great things about the Lucas stuff. I'm going to try it out one of these days. Grease on the slides is much cleaner than oil. Grease stays put. Oil runs and gets messy. However you can oil the slides and it'll work just fine. It's just messier and you have to keep applying the oil to keep it slick. As for me, I use Sig grease or Remington gun grease. Oil I CLP.

« Last Edit: May 14, 2017, 10:28:03 PM by pewpew4life »

Offline Nick B

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2017, 07:32:50 PM »
I tried the Lucas Grease but in my opinion it's a little too thick and sticky for a pistol . Went back to Slide Glide Lite which works great on metal framed handguns .
On my Garands and M1-A the Lucas Grease works really well .

Offline Vinny

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2017, 08:08:58 PM »
Thanks Nick for the heads-up on the Lucas grease. I already ordered it so I'll try it sparingly on the rails and see how it works.
I don't care much for the TW-25B, looks white like some kind of err...medicinal cream if you know what I mean. 

If the Lucas grease doesn't work, maybe I'll give the slide-glide lite a try.

They say 1911's like oil, and a lot of it. CZ's have a lot of rail steel-to steel; so it will be good to find what works the best, and stick with it. The Lucas Heavy Duty Gun Oil works well for 100-150 rounds; but it would be good to find a grease that will stick around on the rails for 300-400+.
"Without Fear, there can be no Courage"
"Carpe Diem"

Offline SlvrDragon50

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2017, 01:56:40 AM »
I use normal slide glide on the rails.