Author Topic: 557 sporter vs model 70 Winchester  (Read 3763 times)

Offline ckohler3

557 sporter vs model 70 Winchester
« on: May 13, 2017, 11:25:14 PM »
I had a model 70 Winchester picked out for my next purchase but I love the quality of my 9mm tactical sport. Cz makes fine firearms. I'm thinking I'll be happier with a 557 sporter. pros/cons?

Offline viking499

Re: 557 sporter vs model 70 Winchester
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2017, 12:17:13 AM »
What caliber are you looking at?

Offline ckohler3

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2017, 08:38:55 AM »
270 winchester for deer hunting

Offline jkingrph

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2017, 11:34:29 AM »
I have never handled a 557, but have two Win 70's, my first a pre 64 model, the other from the early 80's,  both excellent rifles, but I prefer the pre 64 controlled feed vs the push feed on the newer model. 

I have a CZ 527, and a 550 Safari Classic, one a micro, the other a big heavy rifle.  The thing I like best is the set trigger on the CZ.  For some reason CZ does not put the anti bind lug or guide on the bolt, so the bolt can be sticky in operation, especially when new, and in my opinion never as smooth as the Winchester, otherwise  a fine rifle.  I like them well enough that I have another 527 in 6.5 Grendel on order.

Online Earl Keese

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2017, 12:13:54 PM »
I don't have a CZ rifle to compare to, but I do have a Win M70. Mine is a Featherweight in .270, post 64 but is controlled round feed. I love it, smooth running bolt and shoots very nice tight groups. If you're buying new, you can get them in push feed or controlled round feed as well. I've handled a few new M70's and the higher end ones are very nice. I think my next rifle purchase will be a CZ527 or possibly a Howa in 6.5 Grendel as well. I'm assembling a Grendel AR and thinking they would make a nice pair.

Offline jkingrph

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2017, 01:56:32 PM »
When I purchased my Win 70, post 64 all they had was push feed.  It like my earlier model is a featherweight, both in 30-06.  I really learned to shoot a high powered rifle and reload for it as I got it right after high school, and loaded and shot it all through college.  I even learned to cast bullets so I could shoot more. I must have gotten lucky, as that rifle will really shoot.  Back in those early days 1 /2" groups were common with the right loads. I have a fixed 4x Leupold scope on it in a Weaver pivot mount, and never had any problems with the mount, I could swing the scope to the side then back and it always has returned to perfect zero.  I only needed that mount once, when deer hunting, moving to another area as cold as it was never expected to see a water moccasin next to my feet.  I could not see it with the scope so slapped the scope over  to use the irons and cut his head off.

I got the newer one mainly because I liked the looks of the stock, probably as pretty a gun as has been made.

Offline jkingrph

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2017, 08:19:36 PM »
Personally I would prefer the Winchester, because of the controlled feed claw extractor. No plunger or spring in the bolt, I don't know how the CZ extractor is made, one piece  or a pivoting coil spring loaded  type, so at least two fewer parts in the bolt on the Winchester.   The Winchester ejector is simply a metal bar that the cartridge case strikes when the bolt s pulled back so it spins the case out from under the extractor.    If you want to save cases just pull the bolt back slowly and no ejection, just a gentle release of the case.  With the CZ type it's always going to eject strongly.  As far as single loading, I have never had a problem with my early M 70, just snap a cartridge down into the magazine and it feeds properly.  I admit the push feed is easier in that aspect  but not a big deal. Another thing I like better on the Winchester is the 3 position safety on the bolt, vs the two position safety on the receiver of the CZ.   I guess I am old school and like the earlier Mauser form of the pre 64 Winchester, action, as that one is. 
« Last Edit: May 14, 2017, 08:23:20 PM by jkingrph »

Offline ckohler3

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2017, 06:06:36 PM »
thank you for all the info. I love cz but it sounds like winchester is the way to go.

Zeebz

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2017, 02:12:10 AM »
I would also go Winchester.  I had a Model 70 Ultimate Shadow in 300 Win Mag and it was a tack driving machine.  I am also more preferable to controlled round feed actions over push feed actions.  That said, I have no issue with a push feed action.  All of my current bolt rifles are push feed.

Offline jkingrph

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2017, 08:49:29 AM »
I forgot, if you want a CZ with controlled feed, get the older model 550.  I am thinking about one of the full stock models in 6.5x55.

Offline Diamond Jim

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2017, 10:03:34 AM »
+1 on the 550 if you want controlled feed. I've got one in .270Win and it's my favourite - unless I'm shooting my 527...or my 452...Shoot, they're all good!

anything