Author Topic: New PCR, mild difficulty  (Read 3135 times)

Offline theovenmits

New PCR, mild difficulty
« on: May 15, 2017, 10:45:21 AM »
So far, I'm very happy with my new PCR. Cool Hand grip scales are installed and very attractive. Night sights to be ordered next month. Barring any weirdness, this'll be my carry pistol soon.
There's just one mild problem: when racking the slide it's somewhat difficult, and I think there are a couple contributing factors:
  • hard recoil spring and hammer spring - noticeably more difficult to cycle than my full size 75BD, with the hammer back and especially with the hammer down.
  • less than perfect slide serrations. It has front and back serrations, but my hands/fingers get significantly better purchase on the aforementioned full-size.

Now this is still a new gun, I'm not going to do anything to it very soon, but if it doesn't improve after a few hundred rounds, I'll consider some CGW springs or something.
Without refinishing the gun, (not something I want to do at this point) I'm not sure how I would improve my grip on the slide serrations - any suggestions?
Of course - a change in either of these areas might render the other issue moot, but I thought I'd present my quandary here in case someone has suggestions that I hadn't considered.

Thanks!

Offline Stopsign32v

Re: New PCR, mild difficulty
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2017, 11:15:37 AM »
Bring the hammer all the way back and then rack the slide

Offline Grendel

• Administrator
  • 'Live Long, and Prosper'
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2017, 11:32:39 AM »
noticeably more difficult to cycle than my full size 75BD, with the hammer back and especially with the hammer down.
Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges - Tacitus

Inter arma enim silent leges - Cicero

I wasn't born in America, but I got here as fast as I could.

Offline Peacetilence

• CZ 75B, PCR, 97BD and Scorpion EVO3. Fun :)
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2017, 01:36:45 PM »
Physics. Smaller gun --> lighter slide --> stiffer recoil spring. It will ease up a little w/ use but stay noticeable harder to rack than a full size 75. A tuning kit from CGW will help w/ the hammer (I would suggest the short reset system.) A DPM Systems recoil spring may help too (this one, on my list to try.)

Offline jb1911

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2017, 01:59:06 PM »

Offline Grendel

• Administrator
  • 'Live Long, and Prosper'
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2017, 02:13:07 PM »
Take off the oven mitts?
Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges - Tacitus

Inter arma enim silent leges - Cicero

I wasn't born in America, but I got here as fast as I could.

Offline Iluvboost

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2017, 02:32:42 PM »
Its just physics at work. Smaller compact pistols have a stronger recoil spring because of the lighter slide. The bigger pistol has a heavier slide. You might be able to play a bit with the springs.

Offline Earl Keese

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2017, 04:35:54 PM »
I reach over the top and let my index finger/web of my thumb catch the front edge of the rear sight. The PCR has a ramped rear sight I think(I don't own a PCR), so this won't work until you replace the sights.

Offline Pops1911

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2017, 08:55:17 PM »
Give your new pcr an honest 500+ rounds in live fire.  You will be amazed at how much smoother and easier it will handle. I just hit 700 rounds this weekend and to say that it was spectacular would be an understatement. I do agree with the others that a smaller pistol will be harder to rack.  Yet, again, it too gets better with time.  I use grease on my rails and not oil. Really silky and sticks where you put it. Have fun!
If you find yourself in a fair gunfight, your tactics stink!

Offline theovenmits

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2017, 03:39:14 PM »
re: Physics, I'm sure that's at least part of the equation. However, I had a PCR before (had to sell it when I was out of work) and I don't remember it being this stiff.
re: Reach-over, I do this sometimes, too and even without the rear sight, I get a slightly better purchase on the rear serrations but I usually prefer to 'slingshot' the slide from behind, which makes it easier to keep the gun pointed downrange. I know - I can turn my body to the right and reach over with my left hand to keep the gun pointed straight, and that's always an option, but straight-slingshot is better in my mind.
re: 500 rounds - definitely! and it may soften up, too. I only have 200 rounds through it at this point. Provided no problems with 500-1000 rounds including some nice SD ammo, that this will become my main carry weapon, which'll be weird, since I've always carried Glocks up till now.

Offline Wepeel

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2017, 05:34:17 PM »
FWIW, I have a 75 Compact and just picked up a PCR.  I noticed the PCR recoil spring is one coil longer than the 75c spring, and is noticeably stiffer (noticeable when installing the guide rod/spring and also in racking).  Only have a couple hundred rounds through the PCR yet, it will most likely loosen up a bit with more rounds, but probably not to the level of the 75C.

And the P-07 seems to be easier to rack than the 75c.

Offline TheLocNar

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2017, 01:01:50 AM »
Another technique that may help... when you're trying to pull the slide back with your weak hand, push the frame/grip forward with your strong hand.

But the best "fix", as has been said already, is live rounds. :)

Offline theovenmits

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2017, 02:11:33 PM »
Ok, so I'm turning some options over in my mind: A CG "old style" trigger, and the Defensive Carry Package.
I may decide, as I break in the PCR, that I don't need the upgrades. On my last range trip, however, the serrated trigger rubbed a callous on my finger after about 250 rounds. Not that I mind a little boo-boo, and I might get used to it after a while.
It's still different from the smooth triggers on my 75BD (Sunday Gun) and my 97BD (all black for formal occasions), and as I transition from years of Glock carry, I'd like to build some consistency into my carry guns.
I think I like a flatter trigger, like the Omega trigger - is there any discussion about the pros/cons of hooked triggers vs. flatter triggers? Training issues? I just haven't seen much and I'm assuming that it's purely a subjective preference thing, although I know certain target triggers are absolutely straight, which suggests that the hooked triggers may be more suited to combat/defense.

I know I'm rambling, but does anybody have any thoughts about these thoughts?

Offline Sooltauq

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2017, 02:23:25 PM »
Give your new pcr an honest 500+ rounds in live fire.  You will be amazed at how much smoother and easier it will handle. I just hit 700 rounds this weekend and to say that it was spectacular would be an understatement. I do agree with the others that a smaller pistol will be harder to rack.  Yet, again, it too gets better with time.  I use grease on my rails and not oil. Really silky and sticks where you put it. Have fun!

Ditto. My PCR, P-01 and P-06 were all pretty stiff the first 500 rounds or so. "This too shall pass."

As far as the grip goes, well, that's mostly a function of it being an inch shorter. My SP-01 racks easier than my P-01, and my Winchester 12ga. pump racks easier than my SP-01.
CZ 75 SP-01, 97, P-01, PCR, P-06, P10C

Offline Peacetilence

• CZ 75B, PCR, 97BD and Scorpion EVO3. Fun :)
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2017, 05:34:17 PM »
A CG "old style" trigger, and the Defensive Carry Package.

Exactly what I have in my PCR. Never looked back. :)

anything